Page 23 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast

Thread: LPVOs in 2023 and beyond

Quote Originally Posted by mrozowjj View Post
    I actually did not know this. I've only used one magnifier and the zero didn't seem to shift all that much but I only confirmed at 100 yards.
    Here is a link of Chuck Pressburg discussing this issue:

https://youtu.be/dyx0SiDfR6U

Quote Originally Posted by sickeness View Post
    Here is a link of Chuck Pressburg discussing this issue:

https://youtu.be/dyx0SiDfR6U
    You mean this, probably: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F70Q...heckConsulting

As @HCM noted, it's not a huge deal for most folks, since the focus on precision is once you use the magnifier, while anything closer in and unmagnified isn't going to see enough shift to become an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by sickeness View Post
    Not to mention the fact that all red dots will have zero shift to varying degrees once you flip on or attach the magnifier.
    This is something that is not often discussed whenever this topic comes up but it is a real concern. Which leads me to question whether or not people actually confirm their zero magnified and unmagnified.
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The assumption is the magnifier will be used at greater distance so normal practice is to zero with the magnifier and just note the shift without it since it’s less of an issue at closer ranges. Like suppressors, the key is to ensure the shift is consistent.
    I actually did not know this. I've only used one magnifier and the zero didn't seem to shift all that much but I only confirmed at 100 yards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post

As @HCM noted, it's not a huge deal for most folks, since the focus on precision is once you use the magnifier, while anything closer in and unmagnified isn't going to see enough shift to become an issue.
    This would be as good an argument as any to attend a quality carbine course like Randy Cain where you spend a fair amount of time “zeroing” and then confirming that zero (while he sneakily also teaches you concepts like natural point of aim, various positions, natural respiratory pause, etc. so that when you get done “zeroing” you’ve also learned a bunch of other shit without realizing it along the way) from “point blank” out to 200 or more. It would give opportunity to, say, check your initial intersection at 50 unmagnified, expect to be high at 100, add the magnifier at 200 to actually zero, use the magnifier again at 100 on the way back in and see where you’re at, then remove it for a check/confirm the initial intersection at 50 and then move in without the magnifier.

If I cared enough and still had unfettered access to a proper facility I’d love to test all that. I prefer a 100 yard zero (particularly with irons and RDS) but also like to check out to 200 (at which distance I’ll make windage adjustments, maybe, but not elevation) and then walk it back in.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

That's an interesting video. I don't know why I hadn't considered removing the magnifier... that kind of opens options up because I could just have the one magnifier I move across the guns pretty easily. Especially that new 5x from Eotech.

That's an interesting video. I don't know why I hadn't considered removing the magnifier... that kind of opens options up because I could just have the one magnifier I move across the guns pretty easily. Especially that new 5x from Eotech.
    I have been thinking this would be helpful getting the zero established also.

One of the current carbine set-ups for work.

11.5" BCM upper with 9" forend on a USGI surplus M16 lower. Steiner scope, ADM mount and Streamlight light. Arisaka light mount and Streamlight to Surefire tail cap adapter. Cloud Defense switch mount. Troy folding sights. VTAC sling.

The scope and mount weigh 1.6 pounds.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Tokarev; 04-17-2021 at 08:45 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    One of the current carbine set-ups for work.

11.5" BCM upper with 9" forend on a USGI surplus M16 lower. Steiner scope, ADM mount and Streamlight light. Arisaka light mount and Streamlight to Surefire tail cap adapter. Cloud Defense switch mount. Troy folding sights. VTAC sling.

The scope and mount weigh 1.6 pounds.

Who makes the SF to stream light adapter?

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Who makes the SF to stream light adapter?
    Yep. That's another great product from Will at Arisaka.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Yep. That's another great product from Will at Arisaka.

Arisaka is great, but by the time you buy the Streamlight and the adapter you should have just bought a Surefire, REIN, or Modlite to begin with.

The light + adapter + tailcap + wire from the switch looks like it’s 11 inches long. If you are concerned about the weight and footprint of your LPVO that should concern you too since it takes up real estate you may need for your hands.

Slightly more on topic.... I’ve decided to change my Unity Tactical FAST Aimpoint + Magnifier setup for a Kahles K16i. I acquired two new guns that will be in home defense roles with dots only (10.3” ar15 and 1301 tactical) so that rifle will no longer be used for that purpose. As such, I’m using it more as a general purpose gun and would like to have more of a balance between close/far performance instead of prioritizing closer engagements.

User Tag List