Page 17 of 117 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast

Thread: LPVOs in 2023 and beyond

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    The only place Vortex is lacking is a lightweight 1-4 to supplement the Viper and Razor lines for those who want the same performance but would shed some weight for less magnification. I know that’s not a straight trade off, but would love to see it. The P4Xi used to fill that role but after they raised their prices, it’s real hard to justify the extra money for less magnification to save some weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I've been using a Meopta ZD 1-4 for this purpose, but it's a somewhat dated scope design. It's daylight bright and has good glass, but it's a tad heavy at 19oz. If there was an optic with similar quality build/glass/illumination but at 14oz, I'd happy pay $1k for it and sell the ZD in a heart beat.

I'm interested in the Athlon 1-10x Ares coming out - on paper it looks like a heavy Razor Gen III

If I find a good price on a Gen II-E Razor I might grab one though

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    The P4Xi used to fill that role but after they raised their prices, it’s real hard to justify the extra money for less magnification to save some weight.
    and their warranty repairs have been super slow, both on the optic, and laser side.

Quote Originally Posted by pastaslinger View Post
    If I find a good price on a Gen II-E Razor I might grab one though
    AAoptics had a refurb gen2e this morning for $925. it sold pretty quick

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    and their warranty repairs have been super slow, both on the optic, and laser side.

Wow I had just checked this AM too... Maybe I was too early or too late...

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    Damn. That's a steal.

My two Recces with LPVOs as they stand now.

Steiner on Sale

https://dsgarms.com/magnified-optics...202-war-v4002m

Steiner on-sale this weekend with mount....
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

MeoStar 1-6x24 R2

I recently started using the Meopta MeoStar R2 1-6x24 KDot RD scope and love it. First off the fit and finish is done to perfection. The RD is daylight bright and at a shade over a pound doesn't hinder both the balance of my SBR. I know they are tough to find but definitely worth the $. Dialing in bullet drops is a snap using the Strelok Pro App. This should be a fun combo for competition and swine hunting.

"Beware the man with one gun, he knows how to use it."

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    The Trijicon Credo HX is still a strong contender in the SFP 1-6 category. Their naming/marketing is a nightmare but they offer:

- Red or green fiber illuminated center dot(like P4xi or Razor)
    - Made in Japan
    - .223 or .308 BDC
    - <20oz
    - <$800 street price

Fiber illuminated center dot? I thought it was LED. Does it have a fiber light collector like the ACOG? Maybe I don't udnerstand the technology

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    That's spot on. The market for LPVOs has evolved into precision optics that you can turn down, instead of red dots that you can turn up. The top end on power continues to increase, the reticles keep getting more complicated, etc. etc. There's a marketing vs. demand self licking ice cream cone with features and its arms race on making the high-end power setup ever more.

All things being equal, having more raw power on the top end isn't a bad thing. But all things are rarely equal (and that equality drives the price into orbit).

I still like my Trijicon TR24 1-4x with the red triangle. It's a really good red dot with built-in magnifier. It's slick at 1x. It's handy at 4x. I can put a hurting on anything 0-300 in a hurry and much faster than just a dot alone once distance starts to outrun my eyesight.

For a more precision setup with longer distances, I have a 3-15x on a gun setup for that.
    I agree with this assessment. I have a 1-8 on my gun but inside of 300 yards I don't really need the 8x. It has all of these markings to help me get hits out to 900 but I don't know if I'll ever use them. If I had to ID a target I might like the extra magnification but all I ever shoot is paper and steel so I'm finding for my other guns a 1-6 is more than adequate. Honestly a 1-4 is fine but the 1-6s don't weigh or cost that much more so why not.

With 1 added addendum, if you have astigmatism the red dot + magnification might not be as ideal to you at longer distances as the LPVO. I'm lucky because I have a mild one but with a 3X the dot looks a crisp again so I can use it at longer rangers no problems but not everyone is this lucky. There's also the fact that some of the 1-4x weigh can weigh less than a red dot + magnifier.

User Tag List