Page 14 of 117 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114 ... LastLast

Thread: LPVOs in 2023 and beyond

So here’s another question. If I’m mostly going to feed a rifle m193/xm193 is it worth spending the premium for an LPVO with ammo that’s pretty crappy?

Training ammo is training ammo.

If you need to do things that require magnification, that ammo is fine for building reps but you will want something better to determine the capability of your whole rifle.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    So here’s another question. If I’m mostly going to feed a rifle m193/xm193 is it worth spending the premium for an LPVO with ammo that’s pretty crappy?
    Irrelevant.

LPVOs don’t let you shoot better, they let you see better.

If you decide you want something stiffer than the MCMR the BCM quad rails are super stiff.

They’re basically a tube like the MCMR with three rails on it. They’re still significantly lighter than most other quads.

The BCM quads are on par or even lighter than some heavy mlok rails like the wedge lock ones it seems

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    What is a premium to you?

IMO for a 16" gun with anything heavier than a pencil barrel they are a good use of money.

You can get a like new in box PST II 1-6 for $500 on Eurooptic right now (demo scope). That's a pretty incredible deal for a scope that is (in my completely unqualified opinion) duty grade with a good uncomplicated reticle and daylight bright illumination

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    What is a premium to you?

IMO for a 16" gun with anything heavier than a pencil barrel they are a good use of money.

You can get a like new in box PST II 1-6 for $500 on Eurooptic right now (demo scope). That's a pretty incredible deal for a scope that is (in my completely unqualified opinion) duty grade with a good uncomplicated reticle and daylight bright illumination
    That’s a fair point and the exact optic I was considering.

I’m putting a 458 socom together for a deer gun. That’s going to get a PST 1-6 because it’s a hunting gun and just makes sense. My other AR is a 16 inch with a lightweight barrel. With a red dot I can hold 3-4 moa with m193 out to 200 yards. I was thinking about a second PST for the 5.56 gun as kind of a practice gun since 458 ammo is expensive even by 2020 standards, but the drop is so different I’m not sure how valuable that would be.

I realize none of this is much of a question now, I’m just thinking out loud.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar

I’m putting a 458 socom together for a deer gun. That’s going to get a PST 1-6 because it’s a hunting gun and just makes sense. My other AR is a 16 inch with a lightweight barrel. With a red dot I can hold 3-4 moa with m193 out to 200 yards. I was thinking about a second PST for the 5.56 gun as kind of a practice gun since 458 ammo is expensive even by 2020 standards, but the drop is so different I’m not sure how valuable that would be.

I'm not a hunter so I can't really comment on the 1-6 PST for your application, but IMO it's a class leader.

The other one I'd strongly consider would be the Meopta Optika6 1-6 SFP (I would pass on the FFP). Check out the reticles on Meopta's website - mine has the KDOT RD, which IMO is the best they offer for this model. The glass is much more clear than the PST II and IMO build quality is better. Downsides vs. the PST 1-6 : illumination is not daylight bright (PST's is). Otherwise it's a better scope in every way so long as you like the reticles they offer.

I will actually be selling my Optika6 soon as I just pulled the trigger on a Razor II-E (thanks @CS Tactical), so if you're at all interested shoot me a PM.

Site Supporter

I think it depends on what type of hunting. Assuming shorter ranges based on the .458 cal. ?

The PST is a good optic but it’s heavy. Are you walking or hunting from a stand?

Do you need a 1x with a daylight bright dot on a hunting gun ?

Maybe for dangerous game at short ranges ?

The consistency/ carry over of having the same or similar 1-6s on your hunting gun and your training /defense gun is a potential benefit.

If you want an LPVO, buy one. It wouldn't be my first choice for a deer rifle. Not that it's not useable, but there are better and cheaper options if that's the primary use case. A Leupy 2-7 or 3-9 would work better in low light, cost less, and weigh less.

Of course you can hunt with irons if the conditions are right, and a LPVO is a huge step up from that.

User Tag List