Page 67 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977 ... LastLast

Thread: LPVOs in 2023 and beyond

Just FYI for anyone who may not have seen it; Euro Optic and others are offering veterans 50% off MSRP on Vortex scopes for another week or so.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

LPVOs in 2021

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    Have we covered the CREDO models from Trijicon? Anyone have experience with something like: https://www.primaryarms.com/trijicon...le-matte-black
    I have the 1-6 FFP and the 2-10x36 FFP. Have only shot them out to 100, but they are pretty nice. I thought I would like the crimas tree reticle on the higher mag scope, but I’m really liking the 1-6 segmented reticle. It’s large enough to use it as a red dot @ 1x with illum on. Haven’t used it outside, so no clue about daylight bright. Can say both rifles with the scope mounted have taken spills out of the safe and landed around/on the adjustment knobs with no issues or damage.

Not a whole lot of experience with nice glass except for a Vortex Razor 5-25 gen 1, and whatever glass @LittleLebowski has on his 308 bolt rifle (leupold mark maybe?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I'm a tactical operator and Instructor and also retired military."

-read on another forum

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by richiecotite View Post
    I have the 1-6 FFP and the 2-10x36 FFP. Have only shot them out to 100, but they are pretty nice. I thought I would like the crimas tree reticle on the higher mag scope, but I’m really liking the 1-6 segmented reticle. It’s large enough to use it as a red dot @ 1x with illum on. Haven’t used it outside, so no clue about daylight bright. Can say both rifles with the scope mounted have taken spills out of the safe and landed around/on the adjustment knobs with no issues or damage.

Not a whole lot of experience with nice glass except for a Vortex Razor 5-25 gen 1, and whatever glass @LittleLebowski has on his 308 bolt rifle (leupold mark maybe?)

I have the 2-10 and like it quite a bit, as you do. It's a really nice mate with an offset MRDS and a 16" gun.

Are the 34mm ones measurably better than the 30mm variants?

I’m eagerly awaiting the PA PLx 1-8 Compact. I assumed it would lack in illumination as videos have already confirmed but everything else about it seems fantastic and I expect it’ll be a great fit on my mini recce. We’ll see how much the brightness bothers me as I do like my optics super bright typically.

SAI 1-6 review:

Are the 34mm ones measurably better than the 30mm variants?
    Better is the wrong word

A larger tube implies a larger objective which should give you a larger exit pupil aka eye box. A larger tube can also be much heavier though.

Quote Originally Posted by pastaslinger View Post
    Better is the wrong word

A larger tube implies a larger objective which should give you a larger exit pupil aka eye box. A larger tube can also be much heavier though.
    Understood. And the weight isn’t insignificant. But reticle brightness, dial tracking, parallax, distortion, color, clarity, etc might not carry over directly from the 30mm variants.

More on the VUDU 1-10:

Site Supporter
    Understood. And the weight isn’t insignificant. But reticle brightness, dial tracking, parallax, distortion, color, clarity, etc might not carry over directly from the 30mm variants.
    From my experience, the optical design (number/ type of lenses, coatings, placement, erector design, etc) makes more of a difference in “better” than tube size. What you gain from a thicker tube is the ability to engineer in more adjustment without having to compromise the optical design. If reducing the tube size doesn’t hamper the optical performance, all you are (theoretically; cheaper brands will throw the same erector/ lens package in both tubes) getting is increased travel. What was said above about exit pupil and objective size is not incorrect but purely academic from my experience (ie, a better designed 30 will out perform a lesser 34). Unsure from your initial question weather you were wanting to compare between the same optic, (I think you are) one 30 and one 34, or two optics. I’ve found that tube length makes more of a difference in the optical design and a good company’s customer service department will usually steer you pretty straight on questions like this. For instance, back in the day I was trying to figure out why the 4-16 model of a scope lacked so much compared to the 6-24 of the same model when comparing the parameters you listed. Much of my above discussion comes from the conversation I had with the customer service rep.

And “better” is hard to qualify as the larger tube diameter also comes with a weight/size penalty as discussed. But sometimes durability, so…..

But, I have a feeling you are aware of the above and I’m wasting your time so consider all that simply discussion for others to think about.

User Tag List