Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fixed Magazine for AR-15's

Site Supporter

Fixed Magazine for AR-15's

I got two John Noveske rifles held out of state because I moved to a communist state.

I never thought about making them California Complaint until I learned about fixed magazines - so you put a fixed magazine in the gun and that is the only change you have to make. No changing the stock, grip, barrel, etc.

Anyone have any thoughts or recommendations for kits?

It would be nice to have my guns with me, instead of out of state. It's better for my family for me not to be a felon then something sketchy.

I like the Mag Latch. That’s what I used up until I moved.

https://maglatchusa.com/ar-15-f-n-g-...-magazine-kit/

You use a regular 10rd magazine with a shim and a modified mag catch. If you want extra security you can install a set screw to lock the shim in place. Otherwise it can drop out when the upper and lower are separated.

Super easy to convert back to Merica version if you go out of state.

I had six of them but sent them back to a buddy in CA a few weeks ago.

I'm in the process of putting one together and after looking at a bunch of options I'll be going with the CompMag. https://www.compmag.net/ar-15-compmag-gen-3/

It's not ideal, but I like that I won't have to pop the rear pin out and pivot the upper forward each time to load the magazine. And, according to the manufacturer it "allows for easy clearing of type 3 malfunctions (such as double feeds)".

In NYS shortly after the safe act, I assembled my first AR.

I used an "MR2" magazine lock. It prevents magazine removal, then when the rear take down is pulled the mag release can be depressed and mag changed. It came with a rear takedown that had a loop as well.

Legality was questionable. Maybe it's cleared up now, no idea. I got out of there. But GandR sent me a normal lower (knowing it would be fixed mag) my FFL transfered it to me because it wasn't yet semi auto (coulda been bolt), and I installed the MR2 at the FFL immediately upon possession.

Not telling anyone what to do here just an observation.

I've seen match videos from the Piru Gun Range https://ctala.com/. I watched competitors with AR15s firing more than 10 rounds and dropping magazines without the California Bullet Button.

So I asked the guy who sent me the videos about what I saw. He said no one cares about the restrictions/laws! I went on to ask what about CA Law Enforcement Officers present and seeing the blatant disregard for the law. The response: "I already told you no one cares".

Obviously no one cares, until they do! I was definitely surprised at what I saw in the videos.

I run all my AR's in the Featureless configurations. It allows me to use detachable magazines of my choice.

My neighbor prefers to run is with a mag lock.

I think they both have their plusses and minuses, but since I travel out of state often, I like to be able to reconfigure my rifles for free states with minimal hassle.

I have had a few rural county sheriffs and police officers tell me they don't care how my gun is configured as long as I am not using it in a crime. They felt the laws were too confusing to enforce or did not believe in California's gun control schemes. I have also been told by a BLM cop that she was going to arrest me for possession of an assault weapon even though I had my assault weapon registration showing the gun was legal. I stayed calm and asked her to contact her supervisor for advice. I am not sure what they said, but she basically threw my rifle on the ground, mumbled something at me and drove away. I always keep a copy of my registration in the butt trap of my A2 but that scared the hell out of me.

I have a job that I would loose if I were convicted of a gun crime. I am also three years away from retirement. I play by the rules regardless of what some cops say. I just can't afford to be on the receiving end of a cop's bad day.

I can't wait to leave this state and get my monthly reparations check sent to me each month in freedom.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Off subject kinda, but pertaining to above...

So this “officer” threw your property onto the ground damaging it? I’d be all over that like a fat kid with a twinkie.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Off subject kinda, but pertaining to above...

So this “officer” threw your property onto the ground damaging it? I’d be all over that like a fat kid with a twinkie.
    No damage to the rifle; it is a good old A2 and pretty stout. To be honest I was pretty shaken up and just happy I did not get arrested and then have to prove I was innocent. That is the trap with a lot of CA gun laws.

I did not mean to sound overly negative about law enforcement. I have friends who are cops and work with them on a weekly basis (I spent yesterday morning working with one). I was trying to convey that the laws are complex and often not understood. There are varying degrees of enforcement depending upon where you are in the state. Any even in an area that I would label as gun friendly, I had a very negative interaction with a federal police office because I mostly shoot on public land that is overseen by BLM.

Fixed mags are a good idea to ensure compliance and are fairly simply to show to an LE officer if you are stopped. That is not a bad thing in CA.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Some people can’t handle the responsibility that comes with a badge.

Interesting education for folks who are lucky enough not to have to deal with such things. Thank you. I have a good buddy that lives in San Bernardino County in the desert south of Apple Valley. Very Pro 2A Sheriff and area from what he tells me. Loves the area but hates everything that goes with it. If you’re in the area, stop into Off the Grid Brewing and tell Mike hi!
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

I went featureless to comply with DC's "assault weapon" ban.

Took me about a year to get them to approve my configuration.

No flash hider (brake, compensator, thread protector fine)

Pinned or fixed stock

I got three of the chopped grips approved: Juggernaut, Sparrow and Resurgent Arms.

Of those three the Juggernaut is the most comfortable (and pricey).

I didn't feel like doing the fixed mag option as i didn't want something "permanent."

User Tag List