Page 49 of 117 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999 ... LastLast

Thread: LPVOs in 2023 and beyond

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    The LaRues are known to cosmetically damage optics when mounted according to specs. They also have a tendency to move/walk on the rail they are mounted on; some will argue that this is simply user error, but given how often it happens, and how people talk about getting LaRue mounts on tight enough that they need leverage to pop the mount open for removal, doesn't seem like a great design these days. They're still perfectly serviceable, and I would never tell anyone to get rid of their LaRues, but they're not considered in the top tier of optic mounts these days.

I would go so far as to say LaRue was the hotness in 2009, and they were already considered quite long in tooth in 2019. 2019 was already when Geissele was starting to be seen as a bit old hat, with the advent of the Badger CROM and Scalarworks LEAP.
    Well, it looks like I have a mount or two to replace.

Here's something that looks pretty interesting. 1-8 with decent weight. Reticle seems fairly useful and FFP.

Questions are;

Is it daylight bright? Probably not. At least not as bright as most people expect.

Is the reticle so small at 1x (combined with relatively dim illumination) that it is basically worthless?

Does the reticle get so big at 8x that it obliterates targets?

https://www.accufiretech.com/product/product-title-6/

https://youtu.be/AzKtSQCnko4

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

For what it's worth, I found a pretty good price on a Trijicon Credo 1-4. It arrived yesterday.

While there are offerings from other companies that offer more magnification or brighter dots, the Credo best matched what I wanted in a LPVO:

• Durability, or at least not having forums filled with complaints about broken scopes
    • Etched illuminated reticle
    • Simple reticle with mil dots
    • Not too heavy
    • Not too expensive

The big question on the Credo seems to be "Is it daylight bright?" I took it out in my Texas backyard at noon. I had to set it on 10 to see the reticle illumination but I could definitely see it.

I suspect some of the "red dot-like" LPVOs could get quite a bit brighter. I'm pretty sure my Aimpoint dots can get to the same brightness and have a couple settings more to go.

I'm not sure it would be possible to get an illuminated reticle and achieve the same brightness as a dot at this price point. Aren't they very different approaches, technically speaking?

I should add that, even when the brightness of the illuminated reticle was set too low to be seen in full daylight, I could still see the normal reticle.
    Last edited by Edster; 09-15-2021 at 11:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    The LaRues are known to cosmetically damage optics when mounted according to specs. They also have a tendency to move/walk on the rail they are mounted on; some will argue that this is simply user error, but given how often it happens, and how people talk about getting LaRue mounts on tight enough that they need leverage to pop the mount open for removal, doesn't seem like a great design these days. They're still perfectly serviceable, and I would never tell anyone to get rid of their LaRues, but they're not considered in the top tier of optic mounts these days.

I would go so far as to say LaRue was the hotness in 2009, and they were already considered quite long in tooth in 2019. 2019 was already when Geissele was starting to be seen as a bit old hat, with the advent of the Badger CROM and Scalarworks LEAP.
    But neither the badger or the scalarworks are QD. Larue fills a different place in the market than those 2 mounts.

Quote Originally Posted by sickeness View Post
    But neither the badger or the scalarworks are QD. Larue fills a different place in the market than those 2 mounts.
    Does the scalarworks not at least claim to be “QD”?
    https://scalarworks.com/shop/quick-d...ounts/leap-07/

And, I thought the world had mostly moved on from “gotta be able to rip the optic off my sniper rifle at a moment’s notice to be able to deal with threats danger close” kinda thing.

Not to mention, if you have to tighten the Larue levers down so tight that you need an external lever to pry them open, is it really still “QD”?
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

In the 20 plus years of using LaRue mounts, I’ve yet to need to rip off my scope in a hurry. I’ve also found that you don’t have to put them on quite as tight as Mark describes. Maybe he has weaker hands than mine? I have messed up the anodizing on one upper but one out of how many I’ve had, is not terrible.

What I have found is I can swap a scope to a red dot or just shoot irons and not worry about losing zero. I had gone to new mounts being ADM simply because they are cheaper and do the same thing without messing up a receiver. But I still have one old LaRue and it works just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Does the scalarworks not at least claim to be “QD”?
    https://scalarworks.com/shop/quick-d...ounts/leap-07/

And, I thought the world had mostly moved on from “gotta be able to rip the optic off my sniper rifle at a moment’s notice to be able to deal with threats danger close” kinda thing.

Not to mention, if you have to tighten the Larue levers down so tight that you need an external lever to pry them open, is it really still “QD”?
    I'm good with that logic.
    But I often see people with non-QD mounts with BUIS mounted underneath.
    To quote/paraphrase Pressburg, you're shitting yourself if you think those BUIS have any real use if you have a tool mounted optic.

Depends on what you meant by "place in the market". I was talking more about "cool-guy mounts" rather than feature set, but for the latter, I would say you're mostly correct, though @rob_s makes the same counterpoints I probably would have used.

LPVOs in 2021

I'm good with that logic.
    To quote/paraphrase Pressburg, you're shitting yourself if you think those BUIS have any real use if you have a tool mounted optic.
    Chucks statements usually hit full home runs with me but this really depends on what you want the BUIS to do and why I moved back to having them with LPVOs. I have no expectation of ripping my badger mounts off in the middle of a fight, not even in a lull. But I do like that if I have the time and tool, I can remove the optic or as is more often the case, swap optics around and still have a capable gun. In the past 18 months it has typically taken me several weeks to a few months to rezero and I like the piece of mind that the gun is still usable even if the optic is not during that time.

Plus, you never know when the next crises will unfold and you wished you’d prepared better. BUIS is a small but important part of that to me.

These are also the reasons I don’t run offset BUIS. I have no intention of transitioning mid fight to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Chucks statements usually hit full home runs with me but this really depends on what you want the BUIS to do and why I moved back to having them with LPVOs. I have no expectation of ripping my badger mounts off in the middle of a fight, not even in a lull. But I do like that if I have the time and tool, I can remove the optic or as is more often the case, swap optics around and still have a capable gun.
    Ironically, it’s the hobbiest, not the gunfighter, that is probably better served by irons under a magnified optic.

Ive packed up all my crap, loaded it in the car, driven to the range, unpacked, gotten set up or signed up for my shooting match, take the gun out, and find that my optic is damaged or otherwise non-functional. Would I rather get out my Allen wrench or whatever and remove the optic so I can still shoot, or do I just pack all that crap back up and go home? Even worse if it’s a class and I don’t have a backup upper/gun.

And, better to have too-mounted sights than offsets in that scenario as well.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

User Tag List