Page 12 of 117 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast

Thread: LPVOs in 2023 and beyond

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Well, I just got the Credo 2-10 in. Mounted and installed with no troubles. Really like it so far - only issue is that the illumination of the reticle seems a bit uneven. Seems fairly "splotchy" - some areas of the illuminated reticle are not as well lit as others. Can't tell if this is just a fluke of the illumination technology or if I got a lemon - illumination is much more even on my PST 3-15. May give them a call tomorrow.

I also finally caved and ordered two more ACS-L stocks to finally ditch my last two "enhanced cheek weld" stocks once and for all. Considered the UBR as I thought it might balance out the bipod well, but couldn't justify $200 for a stock and frankly feel too lazy to pull off the buffer tube anyway. Swapped this ACS-L onto this gun temporarily now so I can play with the new scope. Also swapped a spare K2 pistol grip for the LaRue - definitely prefer the straight up-and-down angle a lot more.

Holosun MRDS is also in, but the Arisaka offset mount won't get here til Thurs. Excited to test this combo out. Hoping to get to the range to zero this scope early next week.

That’s a cool build. If you ever go to chasing stringing issues check the bipod/rail hardware. I had an MCMR on a stainless barrel and the has block would sometimes hit a backer nut when I loaded the bipod too hard. I put a longer rail on it to straddle the gas block and it straightened right out.

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    That’s a cool build. If you ever go to chasing stringing issues check the bipod/rail hardware. I had an MCMR on a stainless barrel and the has block would sometimes hit a backer nut when I loaded the bipod too hard. I put a longer rail on it to straddle the gas block and it straightened right out.
    Thanks! I've had that issue in the past with bipod adapters before, but this one is mounted far forward enough of the gas block that I haven't had any issues when shooting it in the past. The gun has a little less than 500 rounds through it with my LPVO - excited to take advantage of the new scope.

From reading around online it seems like the weird illumination in the Trijicon scope may just be a Trijicon thing. Real glad I didn't pay MSRP :P The illumination is functional at least so it doesn't bother me too much. Just annoying that my PST 2's illumination is much nicer despite being a less expensive scope. Oh well. At 23oz the scope really handles very nicely - it somehow feels even lighter than the PST 1-6 that was on there before. Definitely satisfied with the upgrade so far.

BCM rails have never been known to be stiff/tough. That's why some guys won't put a laser on it, as some hard knocks, tight slinging, or bipod loading will make the laser zero wander. They are light, fast handling, and comfortable to hold onto, though

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    BCM rails have never been known to be stiff/tough. That's why some guys won't put a laser on it, as some hard knocks, tight slinging, or bipod loading will make the laser zero wander. They are light, fast handling, and comfortable to hold onto, though
    Planning on putting the MRDS behind the scope mount on the receiver for this reason. Gonna pull the offset BUIS off and probably sell them.

LVPO news you can use:

https://www.marinecorpstimes.com/new...t-probability/

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I agree.

FFP for DMR work but for a general carbine optics SFP is best.
    May I ask why?
    I’m just getting into this (contemplating RDS vs Magnifier + RDS vs LVPO for a 16” AR), and was under the impression that FFP was the ideal for a VPO due to no shift in zero when changing magnification.

Am I misunderstanding something? Or are there other, more important factors that I’m overlooking?
    Last edited by GyroF-16; 02-23-2021 at 08:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    May I ask why?
    I’m just getting into this (contemplating RDS vs Magnifier + RDS vs LVPO for a 16” AR), and was under the impression that FFP was the ideal for a VPO due to no shift in zero when changing magnification.

Am I misunderstanding something? Or are there other, more important factors that I’m overlooking?
    You shouldn't have issues with zero shift (per se) at min/max magnification if you zero an SFP LPVO at max magnification. The issue with SFP scopes is that the reticle's mil tree/hashes and/or BDC will not scale with magnification, which means that practically speaking if you need to dial or use the reticle's holds you will be need to shooting at the highest power. This isn't a problem for a 1-6/1-4 because if you're shooting past a couple hundred yards you'll be at max magnification anyway.

FFP gives you a reticle that will scale as you zoom in/out, making the holds accurate at any magnification. This makes it a lot more useful when you have a higher/wider range of magnification, as you may want to use the reticle's mil hashes at say 7x to keep your FOV wider than it would be at 10x. This is a lot less useful if you have a 1-6 than a 2-10 or 3-15.

The downside to FFP is that reticle design tends to leave a lot to be desired when considering both high and low end magnification performance. Because the reticle scales with magnification and has to be useable at both ends of the mag range, often FFP scopes end up with busy/hard to see reticles at 1x (because they are made to be useful at say 8x), or they are cluttered and insufficiently refined (because they were made to be useful at 1x). Illumination also tends to be significantly less usable in FFP scopes, particularly at max magnification.

There are of course exceptions like the Vortex 1-10, but generally speaking, FFP scopes give you a reticle that is going to be optimized for shooting at the higher end of your magnification range. SFP reticles will be a lot more simple and provide great functionality at both 1x and max magnification, but you lose the ability to dial or hold with your reticle at anything less than max magnification, making the intermediate magnification ranges much less useful than an FFP scope.

Hope that made sense...I'm not the most seasoned optics guy so someone correct me if I made a mistake
    Last edited by Nephrology; 02-23-2021 at 09:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    May I ask why?

In my experience with several different FFP 1-6 and 1-8 optics, the reticle is too small to see at 1x and too big for precise aiming at 8. Some scopes are better than others in this regard but they still have this not enough/too much thing going on. Add a tiny reticle and brightness settings that might not be bright enough even at the highest setting (combined with short battery life) and the optic looses its red dot-ish functionality.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Well, I just got the Credo 2-10 in. Mounted and installed with no troubles. Really like it so far - only issue is that the illumination of the reticle seems a bit uneven. Seems fairly "splotchy" - some areas of the illuminated reticle are not as well lit as others. Can't tell if this is just a fluke of the illumination technology or if I got a lemon - illumination is much more even on my PST 3-15. May give them a call tomorrow.

I also finally caved and ordered two more ACS-L stocks to finally ditch my last two "enhanced cheek weld" stocks once and for all. Considered the UBR as I thought it might balance out the bipod well, but couldn't justify $200 for a stock and frankly feel too lazy to pull off the buffer tube anyway. Swapped this ACS-L onto this gun temporarily now so I can play with the new scope. Also swapped a spare K2 pistol grip for the LaRue - definitely prefer the straight up-and-down angle a lot more.

Holosun MRDS is also in, but the Arisaka offset mount won't get here til Thurs. Excited to test this combo out. Hoping to get to the range to zero this scope early next week.

I'm looking forward to your impressions after more use. This optic is on my short list

User Tag List