Page 10 of 117 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast

Thread: LPVOs in 2023 and beyond

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    I saw him turn the mag ring before he took the shot. I wonder which way it went?

That 30 yard shot, supported, in broad daylight is one of those times an LPVO worked, but didn’t help.
    Yes, I’m sure the LVPO didn’t help at all with a hostage-rescue shot.

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    Yes, I’m sure the LVPO didn’t help at all with a hostage-rescue shot.

Lol. Whatever dude.

Lol. Whatever dude.
    I’m viewing the LPVO from a civilian’s perspective.

I saw him turn the mag ring before he took the shot. I wonder which way it went?

That 30 yard shot, supported, in broad daylight is one of those times an LPVO worked, but didn’t help.
    Looks like a clockwise rotation. So adding magnification.

Help?

Allowed the shooter to see a great more detail of his engagement area.

LPVO dont make a gun more precise or accurate. They make it EASIER to be more precise and accurate. It can also be quite reassuring to see the refinement of where you are aiming.

I know what they do. I started out with a gold ring Leupold 1.5-4 on a big pin Colt back in ‘04-‘05 or so. Have trained and used them quite a bit over the years.

At 30 yards in broad daylight.

This is pistol forum.

I need to stay out of the long guns section here.

Site Supporter
    I need to stay out of the long guns section here.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    In that case basically every gun I own is purely for LARPing

I do sincerely think LPVOs are a lot more fun from a sportsman's perspective than a red dot. I find dumping ammo into nearby targets with an AR gets pretty old, pretty fast. Particularly in the current ammo climate...
    Who said anything about an RDS only being good for “nearby”?

About the only thing more satisfying than using a red dot to out-shoot the guy with the LPVO is using irons to do it.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

I normally really like your contributions but, I’m sorry, that’s just nonsense. I have a hard time believing you don’t think the magnification helped the officer make his shot and you’re not just being obtuse because this goes against your argument. The officer went from sitting in a vehicle to exiting the car, setting himself up in a supported standing position, and successfully making a 30y hostage shot in about three seconds. I don’t know anyone who can guarantee doing that at the same speed or faster with an unmagnified optic. It’s got to be a guaranteed hit because if you don’t hit the right spot on the bad guy, you just shot a hostage, which I believe was a child in this case.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

30 yards is a chip shot with an AR.

I train, train, train for shots just like that and that’s a shot where I would rather have my Aimpoint than my NX8. If he did indeed turn the mag up for that shot, it says more to me about the scope than the shot.

I’m not discrediting the merits of an LPVO, I just don’t think they’re as good inside of 50 yards as people want them to be.

I don’t think an Aimpoint is as good past 50 yards as people think they are either.

People tend to justify the gear they want as much as they skimp on the gear they need.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Who said anything about an RDS only being good for “nearby”?

About the only thing more satisfying than using a red dot to out-shoot the guy with the LPVO is using irons to do it.
    While it can be satisfying, for me, it was also very enlightening on the limitations of a red dot or irons. Our local 2 gun club is at a large range that can put together complicated "natural terrain" stages even for monthly matches. While it's pretty easy to hit a full size IPSC sized steel target in good light, engaging more realistic target sizes that are fully in shadow can become very frustrating when you simply cannot see the target when looking through your aiming device.

User Tag List