Page 13 of 117 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast

Thread: LPVOs in 2023 and beyond

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    I'm looking forward to your impressions after more use. This optic is on my short list
    Will certainly update. I believe @TGS has one as well.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    May I ask why?
    I’m just getting into this (contemplating RDS vs Magnifier + RDS vs LVPO for a 16” AR), and was under the impression that FFP was the ideal for a VPO due to no shift in zero when changing magnification.

Am I misunderstanding something? Or are there other, more important factors that I’m overlooking?
    Yes, you are conflating zero with reticle scale. There is no shift in zero with FFP or SFP.

With FFP everything remains true to scale so a BDC or MIL scale etc for ranging /holds is true at any magnification. On a DMR type gun that could be a factor.

On a general purpose Carbine optic like a 1-4 or a 1-6 I am pretty much just using it at minimum and maximum magnification.

I'm looking forward to your impressions after more use. This optic is on my short list
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Will certainly update. I believe @TGS has one as well.
    To be fair, I don't know if I have anything substantial to add. My knowledge, skills and abilities with precision weapons/scopes is squarely unschooled. At that, it's my first "expensive" scope. All the other scopes in my life have been lower end Tasco, Vortex, Leopold, Burris, etc.

I find the Christmas Tree reticle to be difficult to use under any sort of pressure, as the tick marks are so fine that I have trouble differentiating and focusing on them. I don't think I'm going to be taking a precision rifle course any time soon, so there's a good chance I'm going to sell/trade it for something with a more pedestrian reticle suited for a hobbyist pleb.

Tl;dr: Without getting wordy, it works fine, but a $200 Vortex Diamondback does the same thing for me at 1/5th the cost.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    To be fair, I don't know if I have anything substantial to add. My knowledge, skills and abilities with precision weapons/scopes is squarely unschooled. At that, it's my first "expensive" scope. All the other scopes in my life have been lower end Tasco, Vortex, Leopold, Burris, etc.

I find the Christmas Tree reticle to be difficult to use under any sort of pressure, as the tick marks are so fine that I have trouble differentiating and focusing on them. I don't think I'm going to be taking a precision rifle course any time soon, so there's a good chance I'm going to sell/trade it for something with a more pedestrian reticle suited for a hobbyist pleb.

Tl;dr: Without getting wordy, it works fine, but a $200 Vortex Diamondback does the same thing for me at 1/5th the cost.
    Thats good feedback. I was curious if the .2 mil subtensions would be too fine for 10x magnification. That type of reticle makes sense, and is useable, at 15+.

It's always a tradeoff though. 1 mil is pretty coarse when you get out to 500+ yards. Especially with .223 you'll need some precise wind holds which is where .2 becomes really useful. I also started out dialing, so while I understand the benefits of trees, I'm just not excited by them. Perhaps the Trijicon reticle would be easier to use with a 0.5 mil grid.

You might look at the Athlon Midas Tac 4-16 if you want to trade down. It has a much simpler/cleaner reticle and weighs 24oz. Supposedly they track well and have good glass for the money.

Thats good feedback. I was curious if the .2 mil subtensions would be too fine for 10x magnification. That type of reticle makes sense, and is useable, at 15+.

It's always a tradeoff though. 1 mil is pretty coarse when you get out to 500+ yards. Especially with .223 you'll need some precise wind holds which is where .2 becomes really useful. I also started out dialing, so while I understand the benefits of trees, I'm just not excited by them. Perhaps the Trijicon reticle would be easier to use with a 0.5 mil grid.

You might look at the Athlon Midas Tac 4-16 if you want to trade down. It has a much simpler/cleaner reticle and weighs 24oz. Supposedly they track well and have good glass for the money.
    That all makes sense, and with my current range options 300 is the farthest I can shoot. I'll take a look at the Athlon, thanks.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

The half mil subtensions on the Credo 2-10 seem pretty useable to me. I don't find the reticle that complicated at all - at least no more complicated than the EBR2C reticle on my PST 3-15, which is very similar. It is very useable at 10x magnification, but below 5x it gets a little small, at least with how my diopter is set.

For something cheaper the SWFA 3-9 is supposed to be a nice option. I was considering that myself.

The half mil subtensions on the Credo 2-10 seem pretty useable to me. I don't find the reticle that complicated at all - at least no more complicated than the EBR2C reticle on my PST 3-15, which is very similar. It is very useable at 10x magnification, but below 5x it gets a little small, at least with how my diopter is set.

For something cheaper the SWFA 3-9 is supposed to be a nice option. I was considering that myself.
    I wouldn't expect 0.5 mil to be too fine, but the tree is 0.2 mil on windage. How does that look on 10x on field targets?

I wouldn't expect 0.5 mil to be too fine, but the tree is 0.2 mil on windage. How does that look on 10x on field targets?
    Will have to take it to the range to give you a full sense - will let you know when I get back from zeroing it next week. Hoping to make it out on Tues

Looking at an LPVO that tries to bridge the FFP problems at 1x there is the Schmidt and Bender Dual. Don't look at the price.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...chmidt-bender/

Hammertime
    In that case basically every gun I own is purely for LARPing

I do sincerely think LPVOs are a lot more fun from a sportsman's perspective than a red dot. I find dumping ammo into nearby targets with an AR gets pretty old, pretty fast. Particularly in the current ammo climate...
    Most of my rifles sport red dots or just irons.

I have a Viper PST 2.5-10 on one rifle. I sighted it in and it sat for...years, five years to be exact while I did pistol things and shot rifles and shotguns at pistol ranges.

I finally got an opportunity to get to a much longer range, and damn I loved shooting that optic out farther.

User Tag List