Page 4 of 117 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: LPVOs in 2023 and beyond

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    Any advice on the best magnifier to use with an Aimpoint T2? I've been thinking about getting into LPVOs but the time for training is daunting.
    I used an EOTech G33 with a T-2 & GDI MT6-OSM (which is lower 1/3rd) for awhile, and it was quite serviceable, though the inability to center the dot in the magnifier sight picture was annoying (though didn't actually hurt it much). I am currently using a Scalarworks with the CompM5 and 3XMag-1 at 1.93", and it seems to work just fine, I feel the 3XMag-1 has better clarity and color than the G33. I skipped trying out the 3X-C specifically because it has shorter eye relief on paper, and I run my stock all the way out on an A5 RE; I also coonfingered a 6XMag-1, but the FOV seemed too small for my liking.

Most folks seem to be very happy with the 3X-C, so that might work just fine, but if not, the 3XMag-1 is certainly an option; best mount would probably be the Scalarworks in the appropriate height for your T-2, unless you have something compatible with the Unity for the T-2 (though I've heard the Aimpoint mounts themselves are no slouches). The newer EOTechs seem to still be in limbo (G43 & G45), haven't heard much about the Sig or Vortex magnifiers.

The folks counsel against the Aimpoint seem to universally be talking about the old 3XMag, which was released in 2005; the newer magnifiers are from 2016.

My g33 has adjustments for centering the reticle

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    My g33 has adjustments for centering the reticle
    The problem was two fold, the first being that the spacer provided meant that the Aimpoint sat either slightly higher or else slightly lower than the magnifier. The second was that the mount didn't allow for the magnifier to sit perfectly straight up and down when flipped to the center, it would go past the center a bit and sit slightly crooked, unless I shimmed the stop point for the flip-to-center. Thus, while I could in theory get dot to be in the center of the sight picture of the G33 using the adjustments on either side, the relatively gross misalignment between the Aimpoint and magnifier would cause shadowing on the sides of the sight picture when I had adjusted enough to center the dot. Alternatively, I could get a full sight picture, but the dot would be off-center. Again, annoying, but no real impact for the most part, as long as you just zero with the combination of the magnifier and RDS, and possibly accepted whatever zero shift came when unmagnified.

Also, I was going to bring up the Leupold D-EVO as a wacky alternative to a magnifier, but apparently Leupold has quietly discontinued it: https://www.leupold.com/d-evo-6x20-cmr-w-riflescope

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    The problem was two fold...
    Gotcha. I'm using Unity Fast mounts for the Eotech optic and the Eotech magnifier, so it all works perfectly together. I actually wish the G33 adjustment knobs were harder to adjust. The diopter adjustment on the G33 is also appreciated by me

eta: I think I saw craig running FAST mount on his T2/Rattler, so I would think the aimpoint magnifier would be the ticket

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    Any advice on the best magnifier to use with an Aimpoint T2? I've been thinking about getting into LPVOs but the time for training is daunting.
    If you are running a a rear buis behind your magnifier mount, it may be worth going with the 3xMag-1 for the increase in eye relief. I’m using Unity mounts with a built in rear sight so I can move the mount with the 3x-c towards the stock without anything being in the way and I have no issues with eye relief.

The difference between the eye relief in the two newer Aimpoint magnifiers is very small, and I haven’t noticed a difference in the glass at all, so the price difference just isn’t justifiable for me with that mount.

If you are going to go scuba diving with it or be extremely rough with it, the 3xmag-1 is more water resistant and supposed to be tougher.

The only other small advantage the 3xmag-1 has is that its flat on the bottom so you can use the buis in the unity mount underneath it. The 3x-c is round and blocks the sight so has to be removed for that.

Quote Originally Posted by dontshakepandas View Post
    If you are running a a rear buis being your magnifier mount, it may be worth going with the 3xMag-1 for the increase in eye relief. I’m using Unity mounts with a built in rear sight so I can move the mount with the 3x-c towards the stock without anything being in the way and I have no issues with eye relief.

The difference between the eye relief in the two newer Aimpoint magnifiers is very small, and I haven’t noticed a difference in the glass at all, so the price difference just isn’t justifiable for me with that mount.

If you are going to go scuba diving with it or be extremely rough with it, the 3xmag-1 is more water resistant and supposed to be tougher.

The only other small advantage the 3xmag-1 has is that its flat on the bottom so you can use the buis in the unity mount underneath it. The 3x-c is round and blocks the sight so has to be removed for that.
    Thanks buddy that's super helpful!

To the OP:
    You need to decide what your primary use is. If you'll spend most of your time shooting at distance just get a 2/3x-10/18x. No 24mm 1x optic will ever provide the same functionality and ease of use at higher mags that a purpose built 32mm+ scope will provide. Similarly, no 2-3x bottom end optic will ever be as fast on short range targets as a good 1x.

Most of the new LPVOs are 20+oz which kinda kills it for me. 6x optic will still get you out to distance on big targets.

One of the newer LPVOs I'd like to get behind is the Trijicon Credo HX 1-6. It's a 19oz Japanese optic with the same type of daylight bright illumination as the Razor, and it's offered in 223 or 308 BDCs.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    To the OP:
    You need to decide what your primary use is. If you'll spend most of your time shooting at distance just get a 2/3x-10/18x. No 24mm 1x optic will ever provide the same functionality and ease of use at higher mags that a purpose built 32mm+ scope will provide. Similarly, no 2-3x bottom end optic will ever be as fast on short range targets as a good 1x.

Most of the new LPVOs are 20+oz which kinda kills it for me. 6x optic will still get you out to distance on big targets.

One of the newer LPVOs I'd like to get behind is the Trijicon Credo HX 1-6. It's a 19oz Japanese optic with the same type of daylight bright illumination as the Razor, and it's offered in 223 or 308 BDCs.
    I think ultimately a 2-10/12 or something in the neighborhood with an offset RDS is the optic combo I really want. To be honest the specific magnification is less important than being light weight, FFP, illuminated reticle that doesnt suck. Not exactly in a rush to replace, the pst II 1-6 is a fine optic for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I think ultimately a 2-10/12 or something in the neighborhood with an offset RDS is the optic combo I really want. To be honest the specific magnification is less important than being light weight, FFP, illuminated reticle that doesnt suck. Not exactly in a rush to replace, the pst II 1-6 is a fine optic for now.
    This looks like a cool option coming to market soon:
    https://athlonoptics.com/product/hel...x42-dmr-scope/

Yes, it's a china scope. But this class of optics is sparse, and that reticle is bad ass.

The PA GLX 2-10 also seems like in interesting option now that they'll be offering a mil grid.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    This looks like a cool option coming to market soon:
    https://athlonoptics.com/product/hel...x42-dmr-scope/

Yes, it's a china scope. But this class of optics is sparse, and that reticle is bad ass.

The PA GLX 2-10 also seems like in interesting option now that they'll be offering a mil grid.
    PA GLx was on my radar but not that familiar with the quality of their various optics. Have heard good things about the platinum line but less the other ones.

User Tag List