Page 51 of 117 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101 ... LastLast

Thread: LPVOs in 2023 and beyond

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    I only looked through the Gen III when it came out at SHOT, but I didn’t think the image on 1x was as good as the Gen II. SupersetCA noted the same thing in the review of the Gen III.
    I have heard that the Gen III can be a be even more finicky than the Gen II-E when it comes to adjusting for 1x. At one point, Steve Fisher told me that he found the Gen III to be even better than the Gen II-E on 1x. I'm kinda curious as to just how much of this variance is due simply to settings, non-uniformity in manufacturing, how much is actually something with each person eye, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanch View Post
    Regarding the Vortex Razors - the newest 1 to 10 is the same weight, size, eye relief as the 1 to 6 previous gen.

Since we're talking about front focal plane, the size of the reticle will change as magnification changes. So I'm wondering, ignoring the cost difference in money terms, pretend you're getting it for free and the older gen 1 to 6 is cheaper. Might you prefer the 1 to 6 on a 5.56 gun that you dont intend to shoot more than 300 yards? And likely shoot between 50 and 100 yards most of the time?

Because if running at 10x you will have less field of view than 6x so at closer ranges, you probably dont want the high mag. You might even just want it at 3x.

But if running a FFP 10x optic, then the reticle will only be 1/3 as big when adjusted to 3x. But when running a 6x FFP optic, at 3x, the reticle is half as big, so you get more reticle, it's easier to see and use.

Does that make any sense or or is the new 1 to 10 always better, even for guns you dont intend to shoot from very far away assuming cost isn't an issue and weight/size is identical?
    As mentioned earlier, I have been running a 1-4X Razor 1.0 which is FFP for about 10 years. I typically run it on 1, 2, or 4X. On 4X, I find it to be good enough at acquiring 10" targets inside of 300 yards. I've shot a 30" diameter steel target at 1000 with it but wouldn't consider it the best optic for that.

A few years ago I picked up a 1-8.5X Bushnell SMRS, which is also FFP, and I find it to be a huge improvement. I've shot it from 10-1000 yards and use it at various settings. If I am really going to put the mil reticle to use, I put it on 8.5, but sometimes I run it less- especially if beginners are using my gun and have a hard time finding a target with the zoom cranked up all the way. The reticle is still useable and gives a much wider field of view.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Badger with credo 1-4. Strong and simple. Decent weight pairing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Trukinjp13 View Post

Badger with credo 1-4. Strong and simple. Decent weight pairing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nice blaster.

I've had opportunities to try out a handful of mid priced 1-6 and one or two 1-8 optics since I acquired my Leupold 1.25-4 VX-R in a LaRue mount back in 2013. I upgraded to a Steiner P4XI which has an awesome 1x, illuminated reticle and the Badger mount is hell for stout, lightweight and easy to setup. For my needs, 1-4 works, especially on an AR

I just took a chance and ordered a US Optics TS-6X to sit on the AR where my Accupoint has lived for about 12-14 years. The tritium in the Accupoint is deader than a doornail and it is going back to the mothership for re-lamping, they told me at least 6-8 weeks turn around.

All things considered, I just don't seem to do well with the visual confusion a lot of the more recent scope designs seem to generate for me. A simple non illuminated cross hair and a single daylight bright dot are apparently all my simple mind can deal with like the Steiner 4X on my other rifles or the simple red triangle on my accupoint.

All the diamond-dot, circle-dot, 3/4 circle-dot, illuminated cross hairs, etc. seem to just slow me down, a lot. I need some level of consistency across the rifles.

I have another build in mind when the accupoint comes back so this one will stay where its going if it works out. I have yet to hear a lot of bad stuff about the US Optics line.
    Last edited by fatdog; 09-27-2021 at 02:58 PM.

For those looking for more info on the Stryker 1-6x24:

https://youtu.be/7FAv_nW3jZU

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

US Optics TS-6X

Finally got this thing mounted and had a chance to ring it out. For my purposes I think it is an ok alternative to the Steiner P4Xi which is what I was hoping for.

Name:  us optics 2.jpg
Views: 501
Size:  33.8 KBName:  us optics retical 1.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  59.9 KB

The good:
    -for me the clarity of the optic seemed very comparable to the 1-4X Steiner
    -low end seems like a true 1X and the top end 6X proved quite useful out at 200 yards, could clearly see every individual hit on our plates at that distance
    -red dot is very crisp and round, and with illumination off, that center dot is still there and large enough to be useful for quick shots inside 25 yard
    -simplicity of the reticle, which is why I bought it, not something that would make everybody happy but I am not a BDC user, simple hold overs get me out to the distances I will likely ever use this rifle

The bad:
    -only 6 illumination settings
    -brightest setting was daylight bright for a partly cloudy day in AL, made my close drills quite easy, might not cut it for being truly daylight bright out in the SW deserts...

We will see if it holds up, if it holds its zero well, how it performs on a brighter day, etc. but for the money spent, I am content to call it as good as the Steiner for my use cases on top of a carbine.
    Last edited by fatdog; 10-05-2021 at 09:41 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    I just took a chance and ordered a US Optics TS-6X to sit on the AR where my Accupoint has lived for about 12-14 years. The tritium in the Accupoint is deader than a doornail and it is going back to the mothership for re-lamping, they told me at least 6-8 weeks turn around.

All things considered, I just don't seem to do well with the visual confusion a lot of the more recent scope designs seem to generate for me. A simple non illuminated cross hair and a single daylight bright dot are apparently all my simple mind can deal with like the Steiner 4X on my other rifles or the simple red triangle on my accupoint.

All the diamond-dot, circle-dot, 3/4 circle-dot, illuminated cross hairs, etc. seem to just slow me down, a lot. I need some level of consistency across the rifles.

I have another build in mind when the accupoint comes back so this one will stay where its going if it works out. I have yet to hear a lot of bad stuff about the US Optics line.
    The original US Optics scopes were great optics whose main downside was excessive weight.

Their new "budget" line is ... to be polite....disappointing.

I would choose the Vortex PST II 1-6, the new Delta 1-6 and the original style Steiner 1-4 over the USO.

If you want consistency, the Primary arms 1-6 with chevron is surprisingly good for the money.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    T
    I would choose the Vortex PST II 1-6, the new Delta 1-6 and the original style Steiner 1-4 over the USO. .
    The Steiner is a fine scope, I have 3 in house, but the 5X and 6X versions that let me see clearly at 250 yards (my max ever shot based on terrain out here) are priced over the damn moon and the 4X is lacking at that range. The others cited have reticles that are too busy for my taste (see two posts up)

I am not preparing to invade a foreign country, interdict criminal gangs or border crossers, or go bounding through the mud on a combat mission. I just need to see what I am shooting at very clearly, as clearly as possible, within that 250 yard perimimeter, which always amounts to coyotes, ferals, or pigs. I need a 1X dot as the base setting in case I am taking something close since the rifle fulfills that role as well, 50 yards or less I am conditioned to an aimpoint, but then I need a very clear picture of what I am shooting at that 250 yards max range I don't need scope swapping or dangling magnifiers to deal with, a simple twist of the ring works just fine.

LPVO for .mil and LE clearly have different criteria from what I am trying to accomplish with my version of LPVO 2021....

When you say these have a bad reputation, for what? Going dead suddenly? Not holding zero? I guess I should prepare for whatever it is happening, because based on the first 150 rounds this one is doing what I want. If it is for not surviving parachute drops I could give a fuck.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    The Steiner is a fine scope, I have 3 in house, but the 5X and 6X versions that let me see clearly at 250 yards (my max ever shot based on terrain out here) are priced over the damn moon and the 4X is lacking at that range. The others cited have reticles that are too busy for my taste (see two posts up)

I am not preparing to invade a foreign country, interdict criminal gangs or border crossers, or go bounding through the mud on a combat mission. I just need to see what I am shooting at very clearly, as clearly as possible, within that 250 yard perimimeter, which always amounts to coyotes, ferals, or pigs. I need a 1X dot as the base setting in case I am taking something close since the rifle fulfills that role as well, 50 yards or less I am conditioned to an aimpoint, but then I need a very clear picture of what I am shooting at that 250 yards max range I don't need scope swapping or dangling magnifiers to deal with, a simple twist of the ring works just fine.

LPVO for .mil and LE clearly have different criteria from what I am trying to accomplish with my version of LPVO 2021....

When you say these have a bad reputation, for what? Going dead suddenly? Not holding zero? I guess I should prepare for whatever it is happening, because based on the first 150 rounds this one is doing what I want. If it is for not surviving parachute drops I could give a fuck.
    IME Not day light bright illumination and fisheye at 1X, limited eye box and just general disappointment in the image quality vs the prior USO made optics.

Their 3-12x is worse.

If the image / 1x isn’t good I don’t care if you can drive nails with it.

For non critical use I would buy a current Gen primary arms over the new USOs.

The PST II can be found in the $500 range - it’s not some super Gucci optic. Maybe you are thinking of the Razor II, which is the jump out of airplanes model but is also more than twice the cost.

The Delta is a bit pricier but still cheaper than a new TR-24 and likely cheaper than current PX4i, which are presently overpriced. I don’t know if the Delta is jump out of airplanes durable or not but it has good optical qualities and is truly daylight bright.

Both the PST and the Delta have “clean” reticles with daylight bright center dots.

There are currently lots of good variable powered scopes on the market but far fewer good LPVO, especially reasonably priced ones, because of illumination and optical qualities at 1X.

If I don’t have a good 1X with daylight bright illumination I may as well just go to a 2-10x with an offset red dot.
    Last edited by HCM; 10-06-2021 at 01:59 AM.

User Tag List