Page 28 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878 ... LastLast

Thread: LPVOs in 2023 and beyond

Quote Originally Posted by msstate56 View Post
    With all the other options out there? Yes it’s most certainly a deal breaker. It’s not like Leupold doesn’t know how to make a 1x-6(ish). It’s like they purposely won’t try. The firedot reticle on the VX-R was nice, but I can’t stand the push button illumination control. The Mark 5 and 6 both use an “industry standard” rotary dial, with off in between each setting.

I swear Leupold is either intentionally sabotaging themselves, or they really are that clueless as to what the market wants. The Mark 5 line is stellar, everything else? No thanks.
    I really want Leupold to make a 3.6-18x mk5 with a Christmas tree reticle like the razor gen II or athlon cronus have

since the "1.x-Y" (as I called them at the time because nobody was even claiming "true" 1x) came on the scene, what people wanted from them varied, mostly dependent on which end of the spectrum they were coming from:
    (A) magnified scope with an RDS or other 1x aiming option
    (B) RDS with a magnifier

When guy A starts talking to guy B, it almost always ends in talking past one another. Guy A doesn't care about true 1x, daylight bright, or weight. Guy B doesn't care about max magnification, mils vs whatever, or even often SFP vs FFP. neither can understand what the other one truly wants. then you factor in never-weres that have fantasies of snipering and usta-bes that haven't yet wrapped their head around being non-operational anymore, and it gets messy. Add in the internet and it just all goes to hell.

I confess to falling in neither camp, as my favorite optic was always the TA33. and I never did and don't want to.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

LPVOs in 2021

Quote Originally Posted by pastaslinger View Post
    I really want Leupold to make a 3.6-18x mk5 with a Christmas tree reticle like the razor gen II or athlon cronus have
    https://www.leupold.com/mark-5hd-36-...cch-riflescope
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I'm still pretty thrilled with the Razor IIE 1-6. It's my favorite LPVO so far.

I remain happy with my Meopta ZD 1-4 for what I paid for it, but it's definitely a little outdated v. the Razor.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I want an even simpler tree like the Athlon or Vortex ones have. This is closer to a horus reticle.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by pastaslinger View Post
    I want an even simpler tree like the Athlon or Vortex ones have. This is closer to a horus reticle.
    They'll probably put the PR-2 in the 3.6-18 soon. It's a really cool reticle.

Good questions. My carbines are used for home / backcountry defense and "practical" competitive shooting.

The ATACR 1-8 is an excellent scope, but very spendy. The new S&B 1-8 looks like it may be the one scope to rule them all, but at nearly $5k it better be. Have a look at this review for what my perfect LPVO looks like. I will not be buying one unless I win the lottery.
    https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...chmidt-bender/

The EOTech Vudu 1-6 with the SR-1 reticle is my favorite LPVO for the money right now. It checks all the boxes for around $1200, and can be had significantly cheaper on sale.
    https://www.cstactical.com/eotech-vu...ffp-riflescope

I haven't had time behind any of the 1-10x scopes yet, but am skeptical. Every 8x or 10x scope I have used comes with significant optical tradeoffs--especially a cramped eye box. I would take a wide, bright 1x in a 6x scope any day over a 10x without that.

Daylight bright illumination and true 1x. I want my carbine scope to perform nearly as well at 1x as an Aimpoint or MRO. I have to be able to shoot both eyes open with target focus, move with rifle mounted, fast target transitions, etc. All the things you need to do for high hit factor shooting with a carbine.

Mil/mil: I do not use MOA scopes because there's no reason to. A BDC style scope can be useful though, but I still prefer mil turrets.

FFP: I want to be able to use reticle holdoffs for elevation and windage at magnifications ranging from ~3x to max. This is especially important for moving targets.

You find the EoTEch Vudu to be daylight bright? I saw one at a store and it seemed less than bright indoors.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I'm still pretty thrilled with the Razor IIE 1-6. It's my favorite LPVO so far.

I remain happy with my Meopta ZD 1-4 for what I paid for it, but it's definitely a little outdated v. the Razor.
    If it wasn't so heavy I'd happily toss the Razor 1-6 on everything. At what 22-23 oz it's kind of heavy for my taste.

Check. Reticles are a very personal thing.

My PM2 5-25 MSR is the best scope I have owned, or used.
    On that one you linked:

Looks like you only have usable mils/windage down to 6 mils

There is no semi circle or horshoe around center dot

Those lines/dots do not look very precise and would obscure stuff at range

Ranging brackets built in at the bottom of the reticle, which to me, is not preferred and leads to wearing out your eye balls

The H27D (Mk8), ATACR 1-8 and Vortex 1-10 all have very similar reticle designs for a reason.

Schmidt has had some parallax issues that usually manifest themselves at longer ranges.

Quote Originally Posted by mrozowjj View Post
    You find the EoTEch Vudu to be daylight bright? I saw one at a store and it seemed less than bright indoors.
    I do not own one. However, a firearms trainer buddy has two, and another friend has two more. My experience with them is that the illumination is very bright. Not quite as bright as a Razor or Mk.6 on full power, but very usable in bright light.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List