Page 25 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575 ... LastLast

Thread: LPVOs in 2023 and beyond

Very cool, I don’t have enough time behind a LPVO to make the jump quite yet from a RDO but it’s a step in the right direction. I guess I need to start shooting my personal rifle with the NX8 more on it and see if it makes sense to make the jump at some point...but I do love my micros...BTW what model Steiner is that?
    ETA: pic...because more USBP F/A SBR is cool.

Name:  156D0D0C-0D0A-4C95-81AE-1D7E2C274382.jpg
Views: 610
Size:  101.3 KB
    Last edited by TCB; 04-17-2021 at 08:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TCB View Post
    Very cool, I don’t have enough time behind a LPVO to make the jump quite yet from a RDO but it’s a step in the right direction. I guess I need to start shooting my personal rifle with the NX8 more on it and see if it makes sense to make the jump at some point...but I do move my micros...BTW what model Steiner is that?

Here is a link to the Steiner website for optic specs:

https://www.steiner-optics.com/riflescopes/p4xi-1-4x24

Please check the current AEL. I do not believe that light and ring combo is authorized.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

👍 & will do!

Very cool, I don’t have enough time behind a LPVO to make the jump quite yet from a RDO
    The ATACR is great optically. Clear and bright with little distortion at 1x. But it also suffers from the problem of too small/too big a reticle as is pretty much the deal across the board with FFP scopes.

Also it is too expensive especially when we still have something like 500 old EO Tech optics that should be replaced. Plus that optic is overkill for a 14.5" Colt that has an A-frame front sight and may or may not have a plastic handguard. At best the Knight or Troy rail. Yes we have a number of newer 14.5 and 11.5" carbines with the BCM rail but most are still the legacy GI pattern.

My desire to procure the Steiner is based on a couple things:

Cost. If these can be purchased at a price that's not too far above some of the authorized red dots, the choice is kind of a no brainer.

Versatility. As we've seen in our Ft Huachuca carbine class, agents have no problem hitting a USPSA target at 300 yards with 11.5" guns and red dots. That's all well and good but can a positive thread ID be made at this distance with a red dot? What about at early morning or late evening?

Brightness. The Steiner uses a rather plain Jane crosshair reticle with an illuminated center dot. So far the illumination seems quite usable across a variety of backgrounds and lighting conditions.

Weight. The optic and ADM mount is 1.6 pounds. Not the lightest thing out there but not terrible. Depending on what mounts end up on the upcoming optics contract we may be able to shave a couple ounces off this.

Simplicity. Capped turrets and a throw lever are good in this regard. Only issue I forsee is someone running the optic at 4x for whatever reason and then forgetting to dial it back down to 1x for general carry. But that 4x is what many guys are running now with their surplus ACOG so it shouldn't be a deal killer. Plus we can hopefully drill/train guys to get in the habit of checking the optic periodically to make sure it is on 1x

Unknowns at this point are long-term durability. Agents can and do break pretty much everything. Just a matter of how soon. I am also curious about the battery life if left on while turned into the Armory, etc. But there are off settings between brightness settings so hopefully guys will just give the knob one click as they turn them in at the end of shift.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Very cool, I don’t have enough time behind a LPVO to make the jump quite yet from a RDO but it’s a step in the right direction. I guess I need to start shooting my personal rifle with the NX8 more on it and see if it makes sense to make the jump at some point...but I do love my micros...BTW what model Steiner is that?

What WML is that? Issued?

LPVOs in 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    The ATACR is great optically. Clear and bright with little distortion at 1x. But it also suffers from the problem of too small/too big a reticle as is pretty much the deal across the board with FFP scopes.

Also it is too expensive especially when we still have something like 500 old EO Tech optics that should be replaced. Plus that optic is overkill for a 14.5" Colt that has an A-frame front sight and may or may not have a plastic handguard. At best the Knight or Troy rail. Yes we have a number of newer 14.5 and 11.5" carbines with the BCM rail but most are still the legacy GI pattern.

My desire to procure the Steiner is based on a couple things:

Cost. If these can be purchased at a price that's not too far above some of the authorized red dots, the choice is kind of a no brainer.

Versatility. As we've seen in our Ft Huachuca carbine class, agents have no problem hitting a USPSA target at 300 yards with 11.5" guns and red dots. That's all well and good but can a positive thread ID be made at this distance with a red dot? What about at early morning or late evening?

Brightness. The Steiner uses a rather plain Jane crosshair reticle with an illuminated center dot. So far the illumination seems quite usable across a variety of backgrounds and lighting conditions.

Weight. The optic and ADM mount is 1.6 pounds. Not the lightest thing out there but not terrible. Depending on what mounts end up on the upcoming optics contract we may be able to shave a couple ounces off this.

Simplicity. Capped turrets and a throw lever are good in this regard. Only issue I forsee is someone running the optic at 4x for whatever reason and then forgetting to dial it back down to 1x for general carry. But that 4x is what many guys are running now with their surplus ACOG so it shouldn't be a deal killer. Plus we can hopefully drill/train guys to get in the habit of checking the optic periodically to make sure it is on 1x

Unknowns at this point are long-term durability. Agents can and do break pretty much everything. Just a matter of how soon. I am also curious about the battery life if left on while turned into the Armory, etc. But there are off settings between brightness settings so hopefully guys will just give the knob one click as they turn them in at the end of shift.

I liked my P4 quite a bit but traded it in for a Razor. They’d still be super relevant if Steiner didn’t raise the price a few years ago.

It didn’t take much for me to build a habit of pushing the throw lever back to 1x every so often and definitely before every stage on a match. I’m sure most of your guys that are trying them out will build that in fairly easily.

And I’m not sure if I said it in this thread already but the LPVO clicked much better for me with a 1.7 Badger C1 Mount. Very expensive in comparison and not QD but the only one that I’m aware of that places the optic at a natural height for many people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leupold has a new Mark 3 line with a couple LPVO options.

https://www.leupold.com/blog/post/le...of-riflescopes

https://www.leupold.com/shop/riflesc...hd-rifle-scope

I assume these are a replacement for the VX-R line of scopes.

Check the specs on the 1.5-4x20mm. At 9.6 ounces it is lighter than an EO Tech 552 or EXPS. Granted those have a built-in mount. Down side is battery life which is listed at 300 hours on max.

Last edited by Tokarev; 04-18-2021 at 12:44 PM.

Check the specs on the 1.5-4x20mm. At 9.6 ounces it is lighter than an EO Tech 552 or EXPS. Granted those have a built-in mount. Down side is battery life which is listed at 300 hours on max.

This one in particularily appealing but it doesn't appear to have any illumination
    https://www.leupold.com/mark-3hd-1-5-4x20-ar-ballistic

If it was a 1.5-6x I would buy one in a heartbeat.

Site Supporter

Is Beaverton Oregon stuck in some sort of a time bubble where they can’t advance beyond 2002?

Product manager :“Hey let’s make an LPV with 1.5x bottom end and 4x max and price it at $700”

Engineer: “Thats a great idea! I’ll get started right after I watch this new episode of Friends”
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    Is Beaverton Oregon stuck in some sort of a time bubble where they can’t advance beyond 2002?

Product manager :“Hey let’s make an LPV with 1.5x bottom end and 4x max and price it at $700”

Engineer: “Thats a great idea! I’ll get started right after I watch this new episode of Friends”
    I don't disagree but Leupold does have other scopes with more "current" features. The VX-6HD comes readily to mind as does Mark 5 and 6 line.

With that said I'd preferred something closer to 1x at the low end certainly. If anything kills the new Mark 3 LPVO it will be the 1.5x minimum.

User Tag List