Page 11 of 117 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: LPVOs in 2023 and beyond

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    I’m not discrediting the merits of an LPVO, I just don’t think they’re as good inside of 50 yards as people want them to be.
    I actually prefer a good 1x oriented LPVO to a red dot for 0-50 (assuming passive NVG use is not necessary). I can see more through the optic in more lighting conditions than I can with a red dot, and I don't have to compromise reticle brightness to be able to see an aiming reference when using a white light. The only downside for me is the weight.

Site Supporter
    Brian Costanza, the Oklahoma Trooper involved in 5 shootings, makes a pretty good case for the LPVO in this interview with Mike Seeklander: https://americanwarriorshow.libsyn.c...brian-costanza

I don't have the timestamp on hand, but it's right around the time where he describes ending the shooting where he engaged through his windshield.

Hell yes, an etched reticle is good with a white light in the dark. I ran an NXS 1-4 FC3G for a long time and that reticle is still my favorite. The NX8 has much better optical quality and is a lot better scope.

The trend towards 1st focal plane LPVOs has been a step in the wrong direction for the lower half of the mag range IMO.

Hunting, competition, and LARPing are where the LPVO excel.
    I’m viewing the LPVO from a civilian’s perspective.
    Perhaps LPVOs are good for hunting, competition and LARPing, but RDO's are only good for LARPing?
    I'm not trying to be too snarky/serious/critical/argumentative here, more so lighthearted and amusing, so please don't think I'm taking myself very seriously. It's just my real life experience of using rifles in real life.

I've actually used my 'house' AR with LPVO to for varmint/pest control many times. I wouldn't have preferred a RDO for many of these experiences. I also use it to practice the 'zen' of long(ish) range marksmanship for recreational purposes-mostly for the pure fun of target shooting. To me, a LPVO is practically useful for hunting, recreation/competition, and general homesteading concerns. It's a practical rifle setup that could easily be used to defend against humans in an extremely unlikely scenario (to me).

RDOs seem most useful for battles against bad guys "CQB" style (to me). This seems more like LARPing than the other things (to me). I hope I never have to see it differently! In this scenario a shotgun may actually be less LARPy in a US civilian context, as Tom Givins has talked about many times. To me, RDOs have more utility on a shotgun or pistol than a rifle.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    The trend towards 1st focal plane LPVOs has been a step in the wrong direction for the lower half of the mag range IMO.
    Agreed. That's what pushed me towards the 2-10 power scope to replace the 1-6. IMO an LPVO is pointless if it's not built around the goal of maximizing 1x performance, which to me means SFP (or an extremely good FFP reticle I guess - Vortex 1-10 seems like maybe they've pulled this off).

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Who said anything about an RDS only being good for “nearby”?

About the only thing more satisfying than using a red dot to out-shoot the guy with the LPVO is using irons to do it.
    Sure they can be used out to much farther, but the quality of my far vision + astigmatism makes a 2MOA red dot substantially more challenging to use on far, small targets than a 1-x LPVO.

Quote Originally Posted by frozentundra View Post
    Perhaps LPVOs are good for hunting, competition and LARPing, but RDO's are only good for LARPing?
    I'm not trying to be too snarky/serious/critical/argumentative here, more so lighthearted and amusing, so please don't think I'm taking myself very seriously. It's just my real life experience of using rifles in real life.

I've actually used my 'house' AR with LPVO to for varmint/pest control many times. I wouldn't have preferred a RDO for many of these experiences. I also use it to practice the 'zen' of long(ish) range marksmanship for recreational purposes-mostly for the pure fun of target shooting. To me, a LPVO is practically useful for hunting, recreation/competition, and general homesteading concerns. It's a practical rifle setup that could easily be used to defend against humans in an extremely unlikely scenario (to me).

RDOs seem most useful for battles against bad guys "CQB" style (to me). This seems more like LARPing than the other things (to me). I hope I never have to see it differently! In this scenario a shotgun may actually be less LARPy in a US civilian context, as Tom Givins has talked about many times. To me, RDOs have more utility on a shotgun or pistol than a rifle.
    Shooting varmints with a scoped rifle is solidly in the territory of scoped rifle things.

An AR setup for CQB and kept for the role of home defense is no more larpy than concealed carrying a pistol when out about your daily life.

Shotguns can be effective, but using a shotgun, especially a pump, when an appropriate AR is available is just poor decision making in 2021.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Sure they can be used out to much farther, but the quality of my far vision + astigmatism makes a 2MOA red dot substantially more challenging to use on far, small targets than a 1-x LPVO.
    which is also part of the fun.

The thread is already polluted with people using LE and mil justifications for their fun applications, so I'll leave it there, but the original point was there's this new-age misconception that RDS and irons are somehow only for close range shooting, which is ridiculous and was the point of my original reply.

I say this a long-time astigmatism sufferer that still remembers when RDS were new and "flattop" ARs without stainless-steel or HBAR barrels were hard to find.

want to get gooderer at shooting? spend some time with irons. I'm sure your gunfight will wait.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    That alone steers some of us to LVPOs.

For the person with one or two ARs that are going to have to do "everything," a quality LPVO becomes very attractive.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Hell yes, an etched reticle is good with a white light in the dark. I ran an NXS 1-4 FC3G for a long time and that reticle is still my favorite. The NX8 has much better optical quality and is a lot better scope.

Tradeoffs... My two favorite optics are an Elcan Specter DR 1x/4x (SFP) and the Mk6 1-6x (FFP).
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter

I agree.

FFP for DMR work but for a general carbine optics SFP is best.

User Tag List