Page 19 of 117 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast

Thread: LPVOs in 2023 and beyond

Quote Originally Posted by mrozowjj View Post
    The lightest 1-4 and 1-5x scopes out here are Leupold but they aren't "high speed low drag" and the reticle options kind of suck. Things like this:

https://www.leupold.com/vx-3hd-1-5-5x20-cds-zl-duplex
    They have some 1-5xs but they cost and weigh more:
    https://www.leupold.com/vx-5hd-1-5x2...ine-riflescope

It's 15oz instead of 10oz and an MSRP of $1000 instead of $500

No idea if either of them are any good.
    I think the weight difference comes as much from the 1.5-5 linked being non-illuminated, and the 1-5 linked being illuminated, as anything else.

I had a Leupold... patrol or something? I think it was 1.5-4? I didn’t mind the 1.5 too much but I’d have preferred a “true” illumination was also... lacking.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Right now it seems the top two options are the Steiner at $650 or Vortex Viper PST Gen II 1-6×24 at $600.

Is the Viper at the same level as the Steiner, is it much bigger, any other experiences?

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GAP View Post
    Right now it seems the top two options are the Steiner at $650 or Vortex Viper PST Gen II 1-6×24 at $600.

Is the Viper at the same level as the Steiner, is it much bigger, any other experiences?
    I'd also look at the Meopta Optika6 1-6 SFP with the KDOT reticle for $550. I can't speak to the steiner, but they are better in every way (reticle, build quality, glass clarity, etc) EXCEPT illumination. The Optika does not have daylight bright illumination like the PST does, which can be a deal breaker for some people/applications, but I personally chose to keep the Optika over the Vortex. I only got rid of the Optika when I decided to upgrade to a Razor IIE

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    not bad at just a hair over 17oz. What I still don't get is why someone can't make a 10oz 1-4 if these guys are making 18oz 1-10s...

there seem to be a few options. I'm presuming these are all just bundles?
    https://cameralandny.com/shop?query=steiner%20P4xi

and this is the optic alone at $800?
    https://cameralandny.com/shop/steine...steiner%20P4xi

with this price in cart
    Attachment 69547
    I agree, it seems scope manufacturer's remain focused on durability rather than weight. I also would love a 10oz 1-4 but no one seems to make them.

That is the one I’ve been eyeballing.. thanks for the head’s up.

I see they have a bundle with their p-series mount for an extra $100...
    It's a great scope, and much lighter than anything on the market in its price range unless you plan on paying double/triple for a Nightforce or Kahles.

That is crazy. Black Friday 2019 those were going for $400 with a mount. Pandemic pricing I guess?
    Steiner increased prices across the board in I believe the end of 2020, that is why the price increased.

One more thing - there are deals on these optics to be had. You can get a Viper PST II 1-6 here for $500 LNIB. It also looks like DVOR has a sale on the Credo 1-6 too. I have a Credo 2-10 and I'm 99% certain these scopes are LOW made, but I don't have any experience with the model directly.

Sportoptics has a seemingly standing deal on all European scopes (incl Meopta) - EURO16 will get you 16% any qualifying item. Seems like their selection of Optika6 1-6s is not great right now though. Samplelist also has good deals from time to time but the savings are generally modest

Between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by pastaslinger View Post
    The Vortex PST II 1-6x is pretty good and would likely be my choice.
    I like the one I have, and still consider it the best option at that price point.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    One more thing - there are deals on these optics to be had. You can get a Viper PST II 1-6 here for $500 LNIB. It also looks like DVOR has a sale on the Credo 1-6 too. I have a Credo 2-10 and I'm 99% certain these scopes are LOW made, but I don't have any experience with the model directly.

Sportoptics has a seemingly standing deal on all European scopes (incl Meopta) - EURO16 will get you 16% any qualifying item. Seems like their selection of Optika6 1-6s is not great right now though. Samplelist also has good deals from time to time but the savings are generally modest
    Thanks! The Credo 1-4 looks interesting, too... I am not super concerned with day time brightness. A reticle that I can see in 1x, during the day, with or without illumination is my preference.

Thanks! The Credo 1-4 looks interesting, too... I am not super concerned with day time brightness. A reticle that I can see in 1x, during the day, with or without illumination is my preference.
    Definitely look into the Optika6, then. Make sure to get the SFP model and hold out for one with the KDOT RD reticle. It's a really intuitive and simple BDC that is built for 5.56 NATO zeroed at 100M with drops for 300, 400, 500M. The only small issue with thhis reticle is that it's a 2MOA center dot so it's not as precise, but definitely very fast. There's a .223 BDC reticle too that is more similar to the JM-1 BDC in the Vortex Razor (based on a simple crosshair) if you want something a little more fine.

Vortex Viper PST Gen II 1-6×24 at $600.
    this is just fucking nutty in 2021 IMO
    Weight 22.7 oz

which brings me back to use case, I suppose, (and probably someone with a "go to the gym" kind of response) but IMO adding an extra 5-12 oz isn't great.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    not bad at just a hair over 17oz. What I still don't get is why someone can't make a 10oz 1-4 if these guys are making 18oz 1-10s...
    Well, I've been told that magnification and weight aren't really correlated.
    Quote Originally Posted by VortexOptics
    If you're looking to shave weight, decreasing the magnification is about the last way to go about doing it. Mostly on account of the fact that it would literally do nothing to the weight at all. In fact - there's really no gain to be had by going to a lower magnification in an LPVO aside from maybe the fact that your subtensions in a 1-4x SFP optic would be correct in relation to target size at 4x rather than 6x. Weight, length, shape, size, optical quality, etc would really not be affected at all if we're talking about making a scope with the same level of optical quality, build quality and features.

Edit - we'll keep going since it's almost closing time and this is a fun topic. Optical performance on 1x wouldn't magically get better by lopping off 2x on the high end either. At least... Not in a way that's worth it. The Razor 1-6 already has some crazy good 1x performance and has widely been regarded as one of the best. One could make it even better, but there would be no reason to lose magnification in order to do it - you could get better 1x performance with a 1-6x or a 1-8x or if you really go nuts and start designing some optical systems with lens elements and curvatures that would make a lens-grinder's mind melt, a 1-10x. You could also get lighter too if you start using some more expensive materials and manufacturing methods. Sure, the Razor isn't the lightest LPVO out there, but it's a damn good one and comes in at a great price as-is for what it does performance-wise.

Bottom line - a 1-4x Razor with all else being the same level of quality and same features would still be expensive and still be just as heavy and still look just as nice. Don't hamstring yourself

We get it, though - people want lighter and that's something we've been listening to for a long time. The other thing people need to consider is that optics take a long ass time to develop. 3-5 years isn't out of the ordinary at all, especially when it's at such a high end. Rest assured - there are professionals here who went to school for this stuff that are working full time to make our optics better in every way and in ways that customers request (Unless they start trying to request Band-aid solutions that won't work and will just create more issues!) lol Keep your eyes peeled!

Thanks as always to everyone who keeps us working on new stuff all the time. Keeps this job interesting.
    Source: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...84#post2719784

User Tag List