Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TAVOR 7 , COMP 4 BEST ZERO

TAVOR 7 , COMP 4 BEST ZERO

I recently bought a Tavor 7 , 16” barrel , .308 , with Aimpoint Comp 4, 7 magazines, 160 rounds Sig ammo. All unused.

Pricing was right, essentially the I paid for the Tavor and the rest was free. I wanted to try one. It is reliable for the little I have shot it, 40 rounds.

My questions concern zeroing. Line of sight is 4” above line of bore.

About 1979 using a Colt CAR15 and Colt 3x scope mounted on the carry handle we had a similar problem.
    With a 25 yd zero , at 100 yds we were hugely high, like top of berm.

Tavor was Zeroed at 25 yds, maybe 18” high at 100 yds. Zeroed at 100 yds as I was losing light.

What would be optimal. I am thinking 200 yd zero and learn hold points for 25- 300 yds.

I am used to FAL, AK 47, AR 15 flat top with optics

I do not have an intuitive grasp of the best zero point with 4” offset. Is their a formula?

I am thinking likely use is 200 yds and closer.

Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    I recently bought a Tavor 7 , 16” barrel , .308 , with Aimpoint Comp 4, 7 magazines, 160 rounds Sig ammo. All unused.

Pricing was right, essentially the I paid for the Tavor and the rest was free. I wanted to try one. It is reliable for the little I have shot it, 40 rounds.

My questions concern zeroing. Line of sight is 4” above line of bore.

About 1979 using a Colt CAR15 and Colt 3x scope mounted on the carry handle we had a similar problem.
    With a 25 yd zero , at 100 yds we were hugely high, like top of berm.

Tavor was Zeroed at 25 yds, maybe 18” high at 100 yds. Zeroed at 100 yds as I was losing light.

What would be optimal. I am thinking 200 yd zero and learn hold points for 25- 300 yds.

I am used to FAL, AK 47, AR 15 flat top with optics

I do not have an intuitive grasp of the best zero point with 4” offset. Is their a formula?

I am thinking likely use is 200 yds and closer.
    This is a 100 yard zero and 200 yard zero for 148gr ball at 2600 fps. Used your 4" offset.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Thank you hugely !

I knew there was a chart but could not find it.

What program or chart is that please ?

What do yo think would be the optimal zero distance ?

Thanks.
    Last edited by 1slow; 04-07-2024 at 02:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    Thank you hugely !

I knew there was a chart but could not find it.

What program or chart is that please ?

What do yo think would be the optimal zero distance ?

Thanks.
    This is Strelok which isn't available anymore unless you have the Samsung Galaxy store.

Most ballistic apps will let you make a similar table.

Optimal is what makes sense to you. 100 looks very usable, but so does 200. Would you rather hold under at 100 or hold over at 200? It's only about 1MOA off at either range so maybe a better question is which 300 yard holdover so you want.

When you have large height over bore offsets the close zeros don't work. You need to go to at least 100 yards. Same issue for 12:00 piggyback MRDS.

I agree close zeros do not work with large offsets.

This can be a problem using a rifle at pistol ranges. Have to practice enough to automatically allow for offset.

1970s Colt CAR15 previously mentioned taught us that. It was hugely bad with a carry handle mounted scope.

This large offset factor would make me think about 45 degree low offset mount for MRDS.
    Last edited by 1slow; 04-07-2024 at 03:57 PM.

Thanks for the information, am already thinking of getting one.

Recoil is very low, fairly flat in recoil, not as loud as I would have thought.
    Trigger is OK but not light.
    Safety, mag release, are conveniently located.

Tavor is not light but handles well.

At this point I need to zero and shoot for group. After I shoot for group with Comp 4, I may mount a 1x - 6x to shoot for group.

I think this could be very fast and hard hitting / penetrating at shorter ranges. It would be handy in confined spaces like vehicles.

At this point I am planning on M4, Troy flip up AR type sight and a light. If it tests out it could be a real hammer.

JBM ballistics is pretty good.

@1slow, my WAG would be to zero the Tavor with that setup to be about 3" low at 25 yards, then try shooting it at 100 yards. It will still shoot high at 100 yards, but it will be more manageable.

Best of luck.

About how I am going to start.

User Tag List