Page 6 of 117 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast

Thread: LPVOs in 2023 and beyond

Site Supporter
    Just ordered my first LPVO. Went with a Vortex Viper PST 1-6 MRAD. Plan on putting it on a 16" BCM. Need to figure out what height mount to go with.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Up1911Fan View Post
    Just ordered my first LPVO. Went with a Vortex Viper PST 1-6 MRAD. Plan on putting it on a 16" BCM. Need to figure out what height mount to go with.
    Nice - you'll be very happy with it. They're very capable LPVOs - one of the best <$1k options out there, IMO, particularly given the true daylight bright illumination.

I've found any of the "standard" AR-15 cantilever mounts work just fine. My PST 1-6 is in a fixed Warne 30mm mount. If you're looking for QD, I've heard good things about the new QD version of the same mount. Also like the ADM Recon for the price.

Also - related- I grabbed a Holosun 507c for cheap on the AR15.com EE. Ordered an offset mount from Arisaka to go with it. Will trial this combo out on my big boi 20" gun just to see what I think of the offset RDS/scope combo. If I like it, I'll probably pick up a 2-10ish sized scope for the 16" and move the Holosun over with it too, or maybe grab a second offset RDS if I really like it that much on my 20" gun.

Site Supporter
    I have 2 507c 's mounted on pistols. I've been happy with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    That looks like a lot of scope for the money. A few key questions:
    -Is the illumination truly daylight bright? In full sunlight, is it as bright as a RDS?
    -Is it truly 1x, with no or minimal distortion?
    -How is the eye box? Very forgiving at 1x? Usable while standing and prone at 6x?
    Answering in the same order...

I’ll say maybe. In sunlit snow, which is pretty much what I got up here right now... not really (tried it after I saw your post). Grass, woods, and other foliage... it may be brighter. It is an etched reticle, with the illumination coming from the back... and the few times I’ve put it to 11 (highest brightness, and just regular indoor lighting), I went holy s*** in regards to brightness. The bottom two (1 and 2) barely lighten the reticle. If I were running it in normal daylight conditions... probably somewhere between 8 and 10.

It is pretty close to 1x. Only similar comparison I own is a Weaver 1.5-6x. It is definitely closer to 1x than that. Distortion... you notice some at closer ranges, but I really have to be looking for it. Actual 1x... I’d say no, but similarly, you’d really have to look for it to notice.

This is always the hardest one to answer... since people’s eyes are usually different. Depending on the mount/your vision, you should be able to get it positioned to a point where 1x and 6x have ample eye relief. If I yank my cheek off the stock on 1x, I do have a very small margin prior to the view going black... but I do feel if I wasn’t as worried about 6x, I likely could have given a little more relief to 1x. 6x is definitely useable standing... no idea prone (mainly due to it being cold and not being able to take it outside to play around). That being said, I may remount the scope/mount in the future... when I can see how it does as a complete package. I have the eyepiece just at the end of the receiver, so do have some play in either direction.

-Is the illumination truly daylight bright? In full sunlight, is it as bright as a RDS?

I have used it on overcast days in competitions and found the red dot easy to pick up. On bright sunny days, not so much. Not a deal-breaker for me.

It is. I am very impressed running it on 1X and do so on most stages. A very clear distortion-free scope.

-How is the eye box? Very forgiving at 1x? Usable while standing and prone at 6x?
    I have not had any issues or complaints about the eye box. I have long arms and run with my stock fully extended, zero issues with fast target acquisition. The throw lever makes upping the magnification quick and easy. I have engaged 200-yard swinging targets from the prone position with zero difficulties.
    "Beware the man with one gun, he knows how to use it."

Meopta

I have used it on overcast days in competitions and found the red dot easy to pick up. On bright sunny days, not so much. Not a deal-breaker for me.

It is. I am very impressed running it on 1X and do so on most stages. A very clear distortion-free scope.

I have not had any issues or complaints about the eye box. I have long arms and run with my stock fully extended, zero issues with fast target acquisition. The throw lever makes upping the magnification quick and easy. I have engaged 200-yard swinging targets from the prone position with zero difficulties.

Have done a lot of meditating on the PA Glx 2.5-10.... it sat in my basket on their website for a while. Still haven't pulled the trigger.

The big hangup is glass quality - obviously a highly subjective feature and one that's hard to evaluate without having the scope in your hands, but from what I am reading online, it seems like the GLx 2.5-10 has glass that is at best as good as the PST II series (which, to be fair, is pretty decent). My fear would be buying the scope and finding out that it's worse - that would be sort of disappointing.

That leads me back to the Credo, but the lack of parallex adjustment and the 8 mil/rev turrets just further increase my resistance to ever paying Trijicon for one of their scopes...

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Have done a lot of meditating on the PA Glx 2.5-10.... it sat in my basket on their website for a while. Still haven't pulled the trigger.

The big hangup is glass quality - obviously a highly subjective feature and one that's hard to evaluate without having the scope in your hands, but from what I am reading online, it seems like the GLx 2.5-10 has glass that is at best as good as the PST II series (which, to be fair, is pretty decent). My fear would be buying the scope and finding out that it's worse - that would be sort of disappointing.

That leads me back to the Credo, but the lack of parallex adjustment and the 8 mil/rev turrets just further increase my resistance to ever paying Trijicon for one of their scopes...
    If you are leaning hard into the 2.5-10 world. Another option could be the Vudu 2.5-10.

Why the desire for parallax adjustments and the 8 mil/rev turrets?

I am not sure I know of any scope that is under 10x with parallax adjustments. Most are baked in with it set too 100m(ish).

Quote Originally Posted by KEW8338 View Post
    If you are leaning hard into the 2.5-10 world. Another option could be the Vudu 2.5-10.

Why the desire for parallax adjustments and the 8 mil/rev turrets?

I am not sure I know of any scope that is under 10x with parallax adjustments. Most are baked in with it set too 100m(ish).
    No desire for 8 mil/rev turrets - quite the opposite. Credo has the 8mil/rev turrets and I'd prefer 10 as that is a much more logical number to remember.

re: parallax adjustment, mostly to help resolve bullet holes, but I agree it's a relatively minor point. The GLx has a parallax adjustment knob so it's a ding when comparing the Credo and the GLx head to head.

I did look at the Vudu 2.5-10 but at 27.2 oz it's only an ounce lighter than the PST 3-15. The Credo and the GLx both clock in around 22-23oz which is much a more palatable weight, especially when you consider that I'd be adding another 3.5oz on top with the MRDS + offset mount.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    No desire for 8 mil/rev turrets - quite the opposite. Credo has the 8mil/rev turrets and I'd prefer 10 as that is a much more logical number to remember.

re: parallax adjustment, mostly to help resolve bullet holes, but I agree it's a relatively minor point. The GLx has a parallax adjustment knob so it's a ding when comparing the Credo and the GLx head to head.

I did look at the Vudu 2.5-10 but at 27.2 oz it's only an ounce lighter than the PST 3-15. The Credo and the GLx both clock in around 22-23oz which is much a more palatable weight, especially when you consider that I'd be adding another 3.5oz on top with the MRDS + offset mount.
    Resolve bullet holes? I am not sure I follow.

The 10mils per revolution. I can feel you on that OCD level.

Practically speaking though, I doubt you would ever be dialing that much (end user dependent). 8 mils is going to be 700-800m with a 14.5" shooting 77gr SMK. Given you have 12 mils to play with baked into the reticle. If I have a decent mil based reticle, I will not dial.

If you want to keep weight down on the gun...just ditch the red dot and mount..

User Tag List