Page 38 of 117 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888 ... LastLast

Thread: LPVOs in 2023 and beyond

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    How critical was eye relief on something like 6x or 8x? Enough magnification for pretty much anything but still with another few extra power "in reserve" for target ID or more precise work?

Not that it would be easy to pick 6-8x in a match where the shooter is just going to crank the lever until it stops. But then again it might be easy enough to set the throw lever so it is at 90° or something for a repeatable reference point when dialing to something that's not quite full power.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    If you have or have used an NX8 the 6x or 8x was close to that, not unusable but not easy. The 9x to 10x was difficult to the point of not being worth the effort.

You could probably find a way to only use the 6 or 8x on it but as I said I started asking myself, why train around it when it cost more and is heavier than what I already have where I don't need to do that?

If you need that 9x or 10x because you are using it on a gun that can reach out to 1000 yards like 6.5 creedmore it's the best option available. If you are shooting 5.56 out of a 16 in barrel at a max of 500 yards it's a trade off of extra cost, extra weight, and extra training to get that extra magnification range you aren't likely to ever need; stick with their Razor Gen 2 1-6 or if you care about weight Delta Stryker 1-6, Nightforce NX8 1-8, Trijicon Credo HX 1-6, etc.

That said as they point out in the video if you want that extra mag because you are a DMR roles, in military, or a hunter and you need it for target identification it might be just what you need. I don't do any of those things so for me it was a waste.

I guess my point is it's not a bad scope at all but it's clearly meant for a role different than their Gen2 1-6 and it doesn't replace their Gen 2 1-6 the way everyone was hoping it would and every time I see a youtube review where they don't mention that makes me question their honesty. (I.E. they are praising it for the clicks.) That InRange review is the most honest and accurate version I've seen of that scope.

Quote Originally Posted by mrozowjj View Post
    If you need that 9x or 10x because you are using it on a gun that can reach out to 1000 yards like 6.5 creedmore it's the best option available. If you are shooting 5.56 out of a 16 in barrel at a max of 500 yards it's a trade off of extra cost, extra weight, and extra training to get that extra magnification range you aren't likely to ever need; stick with their Razor Gen 2 1-6 or if you care about weight Delta Stryker 1-6, Nightforce NX8 1-8, Trijicon Credo HX 1-6, etc.

I guess my point is it's not a bad scope at all but it's clearly meant for a role different than their Gen2 1-6 and it doesn't replace their Gen 2 1-6 the way everyone was hoping it would...
    Thanks a bunch for this. I adore my Gen2E 1-6, and you've just saved me the trouble of buying the 1-10x, getting really mad at it, and then trying to flip it.

Quote Originally Posted by jbrimlow View Post
    Thanks a bunch for this. I adore my Gen2E 1-6, and you've just saved me the trouble of buying the 1-10x, getting really mad at it, and then trying to flip it.
    Happy to help but I am not an expert so please don't take it as gospel. If you can find a way to get behind one try it out maybe it will work for you. I just know everyone seems to love it online and I can't help but think either maybe I got a lemon or they aren't being honest with the audience or with themselves about what roles it is good for; most seem to think it invalidates the Gen 2 1-6 but I just can't see that being the case.

Might still be worth a purchase and a try if you can find one. A few places have the MOA version in stock. Vortex LE sales told me recently that the MRAD version is backordered and won't be in stock again until probably late 2021 or even early 2022.

Given ongoing availability issues across industry you could probably easily recoup your money if you didn't like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Might still be worth a purchase and a try if you can find one. A few places have the MOA version in stock. Vortex LE sales told me recently that the MRAD version is backordered and won't be in stock again until probably late 2021 or even early 2022.

Given ongoing availability issues across industry you could probably easily recoup your money if you didn't like it.

The way I got the one I tried was through Liberty Optics. They sell them at a good price and they have a 90 back order on MRAD and a 30 day an MOA. I went MRAD waited and 3 months later I got the shipping notice. I had the thing a few days didn't like it sold it on ar15.com so quick that I probably should have asked for more than I did; some people want it now and are unwilling to wait on it so they scour the forums looking for it. You can absolutely sell it for what you paid for it and you could probably sell it for a $200-300 profit if you really don't like it it's not the end of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by mrozowjj View Post
    The way I got the one I tried was through Liberty Optics. They sell them at a good price and they have a 90 back order on MRAD and a 30 day an MOA. I went MRAD waited and 3 months later I got the shipping notice. I had the thing a few days didn't like it sold it on ar15.com so quick that I probably should have asked for more than I did; some people want it now and are unwilling to wait on it so they scour the forums looking for it. You can absolutely sell it for what you paid for it and you could probably sell it for a $200-300 profit if you really don't like it it's not the end of the world.
    That's a fair point. But the 1-6 has a great eyebox, and that's one of my favorite things about it. Generally, eyebox isn't something reviewers talk about though.

For my purposes, namely run and gun with a race build 5.56mm, giant eyebox and super bright dot are really important for me. 6x is almost certainly enough for any reasonable practical shooting exercise. Maybe out in the southwest I'd have other ideas, but I'm not there.

That's a fair point. But the 1-6 has a great eyebox, and that's one of my favorite things about it. Generally, eyebox isn't something reviewers talk about though.

For my purposes, namely run and gun with a race build 5.56mm, giant eyebox and super bright dot are really important for me. 6x is almost certainly enough for any reasonable practical shooting exercise. Maybe out in the southwest I'd have other ideas, but I'm not there.
    I am right there with you; the longest distance range I can easily access is 200 yards. There's a 600 yard about an hour and a half from me but I've been to it once in the 6-7 years I lived here. Maybe if I moved to Arizona or Texas I would want that 10x but for me... I'll stick with what I got.

How does the Razor 1-6 eyebox compare to the Viper PST 1-6?

I have the Viper, just curious if that particular spec improves significantly with the higher level scope?
    David S.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post

I have the Viper, just curious if that particular spec improves significantly with the higher level scope?
    The eyebox is pretty similar. The Razor image is flatter on 1x, and the glass is a little better. They're very similar though.

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post

I’m no SF sniper but the eye box is identical between them to me. The 1x looks cleaner and more true to me on the PST as well. The scope ring is super thin on the Razor but I only notice it when I’m looking for it. When I’m actually using it I have not noticed a difference between the two.

I think the Razor collects more light and is more clear overall, but only slightly. Not enough for twice the price. As mentioned, the Razor has also proven durability in pretty tough environments whereas I don’t know that the PST has the same pedigree. But unless you’re working in extreme conditions regularly, may not matter.

User Tag List