Page 37 of 117 FirstFirst ... 2735363738394787 ... LastLast

Thread: LPVOs in 2023 and beyond

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Offset BUIS I agree; however, after toying with my rifle with offset mrds, i am totally sold, at least for fun purposes. I am tempted to juggle some pistol optics and try out a Holosun 507K on my Arisaka mount. I feel like that could be a really big improvement on overall profiel
    With a something like a 4-12 I think the red dot or BUIS has practical value but still think they defeat the purpose of the LPVO.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    With a something like a 4-12 I think the red dot or BUIS has practical value but still think they defeat the purpose of the LPVO.

Agreed. My goal with this rifle was to get better higher end mag than a traditional LPVO but clock in around the same weight. I'm pretty satisfied with it, but anticipate swapping the HS503c for a 507k in the nearish future

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Agreed. My goal with this rifle was to get better higher end mag than a traditional LPVO but clock in around the same weight. I'm pretty satisfied with it, but anticipate swapping the HS503c for a 507k in the nearish future

I like the idea of combining a higher magnification optic with an offset dot. Something like this should give, in theory, just as much or more versatility than the various 1-6, 8 etc scopes. It would likely be a really good option for ARs in 308, 6.5 C or the new 6 ARC.

I like the idea of combining a higher magnification optic with an offset dot. Something like this should give, in theory, just as much or more versatility than the various 1-6, 8 etc scopes. It would likely be a really good option for ARs in 308, 6.5 C or the new 6 ARC.

I really still like acogs.. Doing an offset rds and having the acog all the way back eliminates a lot of the eye box issues. I zero the RDS at 25 and use it out to about 50 yards. Then I use the Acog for everything past that. Acog/RDS combo is super light and will last my life time.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    I really still like acogs.. Doing an offset rds and having the acog all the way back eliminates a lot of the eye box issues. I zero the RDS at 25 and use it out to about 50 yards. Then I use the Acog for everything past that. Acog/RDS combo is super light and will last my life time.
    I know they aren't the cool option anymore but I really like my ACOG. People complain about the eye relief but if you mount it as far back as you can get it on an AR it's very easy to consistently hit the same spot. I use a piggyback rmr mount which is heigher over bore than I'd like but it works.

I'm always looking for something butter but this setup is practically bomb proof and zero levers to fiddle, brightness levers to control, etc. Just use red dot for anything inside 50 yards, lower head for anything past that.

Hammertime
    Well thanks to this thread I bought the Vortex Viper PST that was on sale at Euro optic.

Aside from then considerable two lb weight addition, the thing is amazing. Very nice 1X and I am excited to see better with the magnification.

I don’t know crap about shooting a magnified rifle so this should be an interesting learning curve.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    Aside from the considerable two lb weight addition, the thing is amazing. Very nice 1X and I am excited to see better with the magnification.

I don’t know crap about shooting a magnified rifle so this should be an interesting learning curve.
    I am one of those people who tends towards buyer's remorse, yet I still dig my PST 1-6X Gen II. The weight of the scope and mount is a bit more than I'd like, but over the years I have hauled around more burdensome optics of less practicality, so I don't kick about it too much.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

The first "sort of negative" review of the Razor 1-10x24

The first "sort of negative" review of the Razor 1-10x24

I got a Razor 1-10 in the summer and immediately sold it because of the eyebox issues they were talking about in the video. At 1-6x the eyebox is worse than the Razor Gen 2 1-6 and at 7-10 the eyebox was difficult to the point of being unusable to me.

I currently have an NX8 1-8 and I know that scope notorious for having a tighter eyebox but when I got the Razor 1-10 I was expecting it to have a better eyebox closer to the Razor 1-6 but what I found was the eyebox on the Razor 1-10 was about the same if not slightly worse NX8. So I asked myself is it worth the extra money and extra weight for a new scope with an unknown track record (I'm not saying the Razor 1-10 is going to fall apart in a stiff breeze but the NX8 and the Razor 1-6 are known to be rugged and the 1-10 is new so still unknown) with a similar or worse eyebox just to get that 9-10x ranges I don't get with the NX8 and I said "Mmmm nope." and sold the 1-10x

If Vortex put the FFP reticle from their 1-10 in their 1-6x and retained the eyebox, clarity and price of the 1-6 I would probably be willing to deal with that extra weight and might even sell the NX8 for it.

As they say in the video the 1-10 is certainly useful for come applications like a DMR role or a bolt gun but for action style shooting it's not great.

Quote Originally Posted by mrozowjj View Post
    I got a Razor 1-10 in the summer and immediately sold it because of the eyebox issues they were talking about in the video. At 1-6x the eyebox is worse than the Razor Gen 2 1-6 and at 7-10 the eyebox was difficult to the point of being unusable to me.

I currently have an NX8 1-8 and I know that scope notorious for having a tighter eyebox but when I got the Razor 1-10 I was expecting it to have a better eyebox closer to the Razor 1-6 but what I found was the eyebox on the Razor 1-10 was about the same if not slightly worse NX8. So I asked myself is it worth the extra money and extra weight for a new scope with an unknown track record (I'm not saying the Razor 1-10 is going to fall apart in a stiff breeze but the NX8 and the Razor 1-6 are known to be rugged and the 1-10 is new so still unknown) with a similar or worse eyebox just to get that 9-10x ranges I don't get with the NX8 and I said "Mmmm nope." and sold the 1-10x

If Vortex put the FFP reticle from their 1-10 in their 1-6x and retained the eyebox, clarity and price of the 1-6 I would probably be willing to deal with that extra weight and might even sell the NX8 for it.

As they say in the video the 1-10 is certainly useful for come applications like a DMR role or a bolt gun but for action style shooting it's not great.
    How critical was eye relief on something like 6x or 8x? Enough magnification for pretty much anything but still with another few extra power "in reserve" for target ID or more precise work?

Not that it would be easy to pick 6-8x in a match where the shooter is just going to crank the lever until it stops. But then again it might be easy enough to set the throw lever so it is at 90° or something for a repeatable reference point when dialing to something that's not quite full power.

User Tag List