Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AAR: Kembativz Brand (Kelly McCann) “ASP/Stickfighting Clinic”, Virginia 02/06/21

AAR: Kembativz Brand (Kelly McCann) “ASP/Stickfighting Clinic”, Virginia 02/06/21

I need to take a class from that guy, just because he’s been an influence on my thinking for years. Cool review!
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I read it this morning on your blog. If he doesn't get to the DFW area, I need to find someone similar because this sounds super interesting!
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Thanks guys.

Couple of things.

Last year was supposed to be Kelly's big tour around the country, I gathered sort of a farewell tour to at least major amounts of travel to teach. Then Covid and you know the story. I wouldn't count on him traveling much anymore.

I have nearly all of his DVDs. Apparently they will all soon be available to stream (per Kembativz Facebook page), but I have found it worth it to scour eBay and other sources looking for hard copies. Watching the two I mentioned in the review as both a preview and then, after class, as a refresher, is a HUGE help, and frankly I wish more instructors put themselves out there on video (real video, not 5 minutes on YouTube) more. On a related note, I have his 3 disc handgun DVD (which was taken straight off what I guess was old VHS, complete with tracking issues.....remember tracking?!!!)....I think it's from 1996, and it is STILL one of the best video sources, IMO, for "combative handgun" practices. I mean, stuff I thought was high-speed that I first saw in classes a few years ago this dude was doing in 1996 (and presumably well before that). Plus, he is universally recognized as the FIRST "known" instructor to put a red dot on his handgun for combative purposes.

I've become a huge believer in Kelly and am looking forward to training with him more. I only wish I'd started training with him sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by 43Under View Post
    Thanks guys.

Couple of things.

Last year was supposed to be Kelly's big tour around the country, I gathered sort of a farewell tour to at least major amounts of travel to teach. Then Covid and you know the story. I wouldn't count on him traveling much anymore.

I have nearly all of his DVDs. Apparently they will all soon be available to stream (per Kembativz Facebook page), but I have found it worth it to scour eBay and other sources looking for hard copies. Watching the two I mentioned in the review as both a preview and then, after class, as a refresher, is a HUGE help, and frankly I wish more instructors put themselves out there on video (real video, not 5 minutes on YouTube) more. On a related note, I have his 3 disc handgun DVD (which was taken straight off what I guess was old VHS, complete with tracking issues.....remember tracking?!!!)....I think it's from 1996, and it is STILL one of the best video sources, IMO, for "combative handgun" practices. I mean, stuff I thought was high-speed that I first saw in classes a few years ago this dude was doing in 1996 (and presumably well before that). Plus, he is universally recognized as the FIRST "known" instructor to put a red dot on his handgun for combative purposes.

I've become a huge believer in Kelly and am looking forward to training with him more. I only wish I'd started training with him sooner.
    The guy was a pioneer. As you note, a look at some of his video POI from when it was only available on freaking VHS shows how forward thinking he was. Hell that combatives set stands up to current best practices quite well, IMHO.

I'm most def a fan. I've got a pile of his videos as well as his street smarts book. All still good stuff.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    The guy was a pioneer. As you note, a look at some of his video POI from when it was only available on freaking VHS shows how forward thinking he was. Hell that combatives set stands up to current best practices quite well, IMHO.

I'm most def a fan. I've got a pile of his videos as well as his street smarts book. All still good stuff.
    Pioneer is the right word. I might steal that for my next AAR!

Kelly had a profound impact on my development. Profound.

Site Supporter
    I have paid attention to him since he was Jim Glover. Wish I still had all his materials he put out.

I used to have all his videos, his stick material is definitely different than what cops are taught lol. Having hit people with nightsticks and having been hit with an ASP, I wouldn't put too much faith in it.

Quote Originally Posted by John Murphy View Post
    Kelly had a profound impact on my development. Profound.
    And you for me.

User Tag List