Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger 44 SPL Quinn Revolver

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Smith does the 5-shot M69 that is an L Frame.

Ruger could at least do a 5-shot 41 Mag. Maybe even a 6-shot if there's room on the cylinder for all those rims to clear each other.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Well, whats interesting is that none other then Jeff Quinn had the 10mm GP100 rechambered in 10mm Magnum, which is pretty close to .41 magnum.

https://gunblast.com/Ruger-GP100MC-10mm.htm

I sent it off to Tyler Gun Works in Texas to have the chambers lengthened to 10mm Magnum specifications. The 10mm Magnum is a stretched 10mm Auto case. It is longer, but all other dimensions are the same. The 10mm Magnum case is nominally .258 inch longer than the 10mm Auto case, which gives approximately one-quarter inch more room for powder! More powder equals more speed, and the 10mm Magnum can best the 10mm Auto velocities by between 150 to 300 feet-per-second (FPS), depending upon the bullet chosen. The longer case will also accommodate heavier bullets, if that is the preference. Using the moon clips provided with the GP-100, the revolver can now fire 40 Smith & Wesson, 10mm Auto, and 10mm Magnum ammunition.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/reloadi...onversion.html

Full load, per Quickload, puts the 10mm Magnum with 200gr @ 1400-1500fps from a 6" barrel (~ equivalent to a 4.2" revolver barrel + 1.59" cylinder). This is comparable to a 200gr .41 mganum load.

Ideally, Ruger could come out with the '.40 Magnum' or 'Ruger .400 Magnum' to make this a factory revolver.

Take the 10mm Magnum case, lengthen it from 1.255" to 1.290" (same case length as .357 and .41 mag) and slap a rim on it. Pressure could either be standard 10mm Auto/Magnum 37kpsi, or ideally, bump it up to 45kpsi ala .327 Federal.

This cartridge would be a very attractive magnum. 200gr @ 1400fps+ from a 4.2" GP100, with ability to fire 40s&w and 10mm using moonclips as 'specials.'

All GP100s should have the half underlug from here on out....
    Or at least make it an option.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    There's a local shop that has a m25 mountain gun. Its $1200 so outside my budget but Ive certainly fantasized about selling a case of 556 for it
    Unless it's your last case, I'd do that. Ammo's a consumable, you'll always be buying more. Eventually the price will come back down. That MG will probably never get cheaper and may become near unobtanium over time (they're not making more).

To be honest, I think I like low pressure 45s in an N-frame more than 44cals. Even though it has the dreaded hole, I really like shooting my 625. I also have a 25 in 45Colt that's a hoot, but it's a bit too pretty to take it out often. The 625, with its stainless construction and facial blemish is much more "usable".

Chris

With the discussion of theoretical cartridges and stuff we want Ruger to make; I am going to plug my idea for a medium frame LCR.

The new gun would really be nothing more than the current LCR swelled up to make it something similar in size to the bygone Security Six. With the accompanying bigger cylinder, Ruger would chamber the gun in 44 Special and rate it for the nonexistent 44 Special +P.

I have said in other threads that the 44 really does need a SAAMI pressure update. I'm not talking about a huge increase but rather a mild one. Maybe bump it up to 21.5K or so.

Partner with Hornady on the ammo and introduce a flex lock bullet in the 180-200 grain range. Something with a bit more mass than the shallow penetrating 165 gr Critical Defense.

The new gun and ammo would be a modern day version of the Charter Arms Bulldog. Light, easy to carry yet powerful and useful for backpacking, fishing, and personal defense.

The new LCR would also be available as a 6-shooter in 357 and a 7-shooter in 327. This way Ruger would have a 5, 6 and 7 lineup.

2.5 or 3" barrels would be used throughout. The top strap would be beefy enough for a Novak rear ala Wiley Clapp and the metal bits would be nitride treated and/or stainless steel.

In essence it would be a polymer frame version of this. But with a shrouded hammer:

Last edited by Tokarev; 02-20-2021 at 07:41 AM.

I agree, there has to be some real sharp pencil thinking at Ruger to keep them from making a "MCR." Don't want to compete with their own iron guns, I assume.

As far as new intermediate calibers, there already is, or was, a 10mm Rimmed. They called it the .401 Herter's Powermag.

A gunzine writer with connections at USFA got them to make him a SAA with .41 Long Colt chambers, but .386" throats and groove to take an inside lubed flat base bullet like everybody else.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Don't want to compete with their own iron guns, I assume.
    Maybe although there's already plenty of cross contamination between the LCR and SP101.

With the discussion of theoretical cartridges and stuff we want Ruger to make; I am going to plug my idea for a medium frame LCR.
    Not to harsh on your post, but I can assure you that *numerous* P-f’ers have had the same idea over the years, because it’s an actual “common sense” solution.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    Not to harsh on your post, but I can assure you that *numerous* P-f’ers have had the same idea over the years, because it’s an actual “common sense” solution.
    I throw in my thoughts on the theoretical medium frame in pretty much every LCR/Ruger revolver thread. I've emailed the CEO several times as well.

Hopefully eventually enough people will do the same and Ruger will make it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    I agree, there has to be some real sharp pencil thinking at Ruger to keep them from making a "MCR." Don't want to compete with their own iron guns, I assume.

As far as new intermediate calibers, there already is, or was, a 10mm Rimmed. They called it the .401 Herter's Powermag.

A gunzine writer with connections at USFA got them to make him a SAA with .41 Long Colt chambers, but .386" throats and groove to take an inside lubed flat base bullet like everybody else.
    In that same caliber range G. Reeder has some pretty hard hitters but the audience for them is very small.
    41 GNR #2 is the most over the top (255's at 2200 fps claimed), and needs a stretched revolver frame or a single shot. The shorter versions are still stout but fit more normal cylinders. I'm tempted to have a Blackhawk rechambered to 356 GNR.

More on track, Mr. Quinn did a lot for Ruger popularity and it's nice that Ruger built that tribute gun. I swapped some emails with him about some very early Ruger collectables and he seemed like a nice and helpful guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    This gun is a real looker—and is bound to be collectible. That said, I’m out: I’ve owned a pile of .44special revolvers, and I always ends up selling them to a reloader during a fit of “caliber consolidation” on my end.

Plus, I just stopped by my favorite magic, cornucopia, mom n pop LGS on the way home from getting a rock chip repair on my windshield, and they had just put out a nice, 2.75” Ruger Speed Six. For 4 bills OTD. I’ll be sure to post pics when it passes out of my state’s byzantine background check process.
    45 ACP is so close to 44 spl in performance I consolidated around 45 ACP and purchased a 625 for my revolver jones. S&W just took the 625 off of their website and it's out of production, so I'm told.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List