Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock Gen 5 Sights

Glock Gen 5 Sights

Doing some research on what the correct sight height is for the Gen 5 Glock 19 but can’t find anything conclusive. It seems that certain pistols will shoot either high or low depending on the gun. Has anyone found that the newer Glock Gen 5 pistols have straightened this issue out? The .165 sights (1-4) combined with a .256 rear shoot poa/poi (top of front sight post) for some people and other have had success with the .180 and a .256 rear.

If I want my poa/poi at the top of the from sight post, which front would I pair with the .256 rear?

I think it’s also ammo dependent. My 2017 Production Gen 5 Glock 19 shot POI=POA using a Federal American Eagle 115 gr FMJ and a shoot the dot hold, with a 0.256” stock rear and an Ameriglo Tritium dot 0.180” high front. When I say POI=POA, I mean consistently hitting 1” squares at 7 yards.

For a top of sight hold, I’d have put on a 0.165” front.(I think I have the direction right?)

I’m not sure what sight heights the newer G19 Gen 5s come with these days, though.

Quote Originally Posted by cclark View Post
    Has anyone found that the newer Glock Gen 5 pistols have straightened this issue out? The .165 sights (1-4) combined with a .256 rear shoot poa/poi (top of front sight post) for some people and other have had success with the .180 and a .256 rear.
    There was never anything mechanical about the gen 5 guns that required a taller front sight. I've badgered several Glock LE folks about this, and no one seems to know why the mothership started shipping the guns with ridiculously tall front sights; my theory is that the factory decided the majority of their customers want to 'drive the dot' with 147, and they figured that was as good a guess as any.

On gen 5s I install the same .165 front/.256 rear Ameriglos I've used with other generations, and they still hit to the top of the front sight at 15-25 yards with 124+P, which is what I want them to do. Different ammo, different sight pictures, different eyes may get different results.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mac View Post
    There was never anything mechanical about the gen 5 guns that required a taller front sight. I've badgered several Glock LE folks about this, and no one seems to know why the mothership started shipping the guns with ridiculously tall front sights; my theory is that the factory decided the majority of their customers want to 'drive the dot' with 147, and they figured that was as good a guess as any.

On gen 5s I install the same .165 front/.256 rear Ameriglos I've used with other generations, and they still hit to the top of the front sight at 15-25 yards with 124+P, which is what I want them to do. Different ammo, different sight pictures, different eyes may get different results.
    Thank you.

I’ve called Ameriglo and Glock and read every forum I can find online. I carry 124 gr. HST. Gen 3 19 with Enhanced T Caps (.165/.256) I hit top of the front sight post.

This confirms what I was thinking. I just need to order Gen 1-4 sights.

Post Glock Gen 5 FBI Sights

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mac View Post

To drive the dot at 25 yards with FBI-issue 147 grain ammo is correct.

That front sight is 0.20" tall.

Reference: http://www.vdmsr.com/2017/09/amerigl...ct-sights.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    To drive the dot at 25 yards with FBI-issue 147 grain ammo is correct.

That front sight is 0.20" tall.

Reference: http://www.vdmsr.com/2017/09/amerigl...ct-sights.html
    According to the article it looks like they were initially created to hit at the top ledge of the front sight like Gen 1-4 sights..

Quote Originally Posted by cclark View Post
    According to the article it looks like they were initially created to hit at the top ledge of the front sight like Gen 1-4 sights..

I think you’re correct. I’ve not read it for some time. I do know that with 115 or 124 grain the pistols wil hit differently. I recall a few posts across the Internet about that.

I can't speak to whether Gen5s can use Gen3 sights. If they can...

Stock Gen3 sights are .165 high front / .256 high back = drive the dot

I have always used .165 high front / .272 high back = top ledge of front sight.

I put GEN4 sights on my GEN 5 19 and POI was top of the post for me

Quote Originally Posted by shaneruss View Post
    I put GEN4 sights on my GEN 5 19 and POI was top of the post for me
    Is this with 124 gr?

Also - you mean it splits the top ledge of the front sight (not a six o clock hold) correct?

User Tag List