Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Glock Gen 5 Sights

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Southwest Ohio

    Glock Gen 5 Sights

    Doing some research on what the correct sight height is for the Gen 5 Glock 19 but canít find anything conclusive. It seems that certain pistols will shoot either high or low depending on the gun. Has anyone found that the newer Glock Gen 5 pistols have straightened this issue out? The .165 sights (1-4) combined with a .256 rear shoot poa/poi (top of front sight post) for some people and other have had success with the .180 and a .256 rear.

    If I want my poa/poi at the top of the from sight post, which front would I pair with the .256 rear?

  2. #2
    Wag more, Bark less RJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Venice Florida
    I think itís also ammo dependent. My 2017 Production Gen 5 Glock 19 shot POI=POA using a Federal American Eagle 115 gr FMJ and a shoot the dot hold, with a 0.256Ē stock rear and an Ameriglo Tritium dot 0.180Ē high front. When I say POI=POA, I mean consistently hitting 1Ē squares at 7 yards.

    For a top of sight hold, Iíd have put on a 0.165Ē front.(I think I have the direction right?)

    Iím not sure what sight heights the newer G19 Gen 5s come with these days, though.
    Character is doing the right thing when nobody's looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that's right is to get by, and the only thing that's wrong is to get caught.
    ó J. C. Watts

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by cclark View Post
    Has anyone found that the newer Glock Gen 5 pistols have straightened this issue out? The .165 sights (1-4) combined with a .256 rear shoot poa/poi (top of front sight post) for some people and other have had success with the .180 and a .256 rear.
    There was never anything mechanical about the gen 5 guns that required a taller front sight. I've badgered several Glock LE folks about this, and no one seems to know why the mothership started shipping the guns with ridiculously tall front sights; my theory is that the factory decided the majority of their customers want to 'drive the dot' with 147, and they figured that was as good a guess as any.

    On gen 5s I install the same .165 front/.256 rear Ameriglos I've used with other generations, and they still hit to the top of the front sight at 15-25 yards with 124+P, which is what I want them to do. Different ammo, different sight pictures, different eyes may get different results.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Southwest Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mac View Post
    There was never anything mechanical about the gen 5 guns that required a taller front sight. I've badgered several Glock LE folks about this, and no one seems to know why the mothership started shipping the guns with ridiculously tall front sights; my theory is that the factory decided the majority of their customers want to 'drive the dot' with 147, and they figured that was as good a guess as any.

    On gen 5s I install the same .165 front/.256 rear Ameriglos I've used with other generations, and they still hit to the top of the front sight at 15-25 yards with 124+P, which is what I want them to do. Different ammo, different sight pictures, different eyes may get different results.
    Thank you.

    Iíve called Ameriglo and Glock and read every forum I can find online. I carry 124 gr. HST. Gen 3 19 with Enhanced T Caps (.165/.256) I hit top of the front sight post.

    This confirms what I was thinking. I just need to order Gen 1-4 sights.

  5. #5
    Site Supporter Mjolnir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Not sure, really

    Post Glock Gen 5 FBI Sights

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mac View Post
    There was never anything mechanical about the gen 5 guns that required a taller front sight. I've badgered several Glock LE folks about this, and no one seems to know why the mothership started shipping the guns with ridiculously tall front sights; my theory is that the factory decided the majority of their customers want to 'drive the dot' with 147, and they figured that was as good a guess as any.

    On gen 5s I install the same .165 front/.256 rear Ameriglos I've used with other generations, and they still hit to the top of the front sight at 15-25 yards with 124+P, which is what I want them to do. Different ammo, different sight pictures, different eyes may get different results.
    To drive the dot at 25 yards with FBI-issue 147 grain ammo is correct.

    That front sight is 0.20" tall.

    Reference: http://www.vdmsr.com/2017/09/amerigl...ct-sights.html

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Southwest Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    To drive the dot at 25 yards with FBI-issue 147 grain ammo is correct.

    That front sight is 0.20" tall.

    Reference: http://www.vdmsr.com/2017/09/amerigl...ct-sights.html
    According to the article it looks like they were initially created to hit at the top ledge of the front sight like Gen 1-4 sights..

  7. #7
    Site Supporter Mjolnir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Not sure, really
    Quote Originally Posted by cclark View Post
    According to the article it looks like they were initially created to hit at the top ledge of the front sight like Gen 1-4 sights..

    I think youíre correct. Iíve not read it for some time. I do know that with 115 or 124 grain the pistols wil hit differently. I recall a few posts across the Internet about that.

  8. #8
    Site Supporter Cool Breeze's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    I can't speak to whether Gen5s can use Gen3 sights. If they can...

    Stock Gen3 sights are .165 high front / .256 high back = drive the dot

    I have always used .165 high front / .272 high back = top ledge of front sight.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Mid-Ohio
    I put GEN4 sights on my GEN 5 19 and POI was top of the post for me

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Southwest Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by shaneruss View Post
    I put GEN4 sights on my GEN 5 19 and POI was top of the post for me
    Is this with 124 gr?

    Also - you mean it splits the top ledge of the front sight (not a six o clock hold) correct?

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •