Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Law professor joins D.C. police

Law professor joins D.C. police

Just saw this: https://www.npr.org/2021/02/16/96829...join-the-force

Law professor and human rights activist Rosa Brooks wanted to better understand police violence and the racial disparities in America's criminal justice system, so she decided to join the police force as a volunteer.

As a reserve officer with the Washington, D.C. police department, Brooks received the same training as officers at the police academy and was sent on patrol like other police. From 2016 until 2020, she carried a badge and a gun and worked a minimum of 24 hours a month — all on a voluntary basis.

———————-

The book might be an interesting read.

Related thread: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....Police-Academy

Previous commentary from a DC-area popo:

Quote Originally Posted by jnc36rcpd View Post

I find it extrraordinary that a former MPD reserve officer considers herself knowledgeable enough to offer opinions on police training, especially given her limited tenure. MPD reserve officers are unarmed and their duties are not the same as fulltime MPD officers. I'm sure they perform valuable and sometimes dangerous duties (such as two who came under unprovoked gunfire some months ago), but what they do isn't what everyone else does.
    To that end, I had looked up the auxiliary program and they can carry weapons, but such is limited to either former full-time police officers and reserves who have gone through 900-some hours of training over a 5 year period as an unarmed basic reserve. They can then apply to become a Reserve Class II, which includes armed duties.

So, it sounds like she stayed long enough just to get the bona fides on paper and then left.

She's just some fuckin' scumbag trying to pass herself off as something she isn't.

For reference, here's the DC MPD reserve program regulations: https://go.mpdconline.com/GO/GO_101_03.pdf
    Last edited by TGS; 02-16-2021 at 04:17 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Similar to Peter Moskos, but he was a full-time officer in Baltimore before writing his book....
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quoted by TGS from the other thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by jnc36rcpd
    I find it extrraordinary that a former MPD reserve officer considers herself knowledgeable enough to offer opinions on police training, especially given her limited tenure.
    You have obviously not spent much time around professors. There is nothing they do not know better than you. Just ask them. They will explain it to you. (Sad to say, as one of the clan, I spend very much time around them.)
    O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts, And men have lost their reason.

Site Supporter
    I have looked through the book at B&N (yes, I still frequent brick and mortar bookstores with paper books). I didn't get any red flags from initial browsing, but elected to get it on Kindle. While I may regret typing this, I don't think she is any Radley Balko or Kamela Harris. I'll post when I get around to reading it.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    She's just some fuckin' scumbag trying to pass herself off as something she isn't.
    Or someone making an effort to understand more about the subject they teach.

Our department had a laid off airline pilot join us but he left to fly again and wrote a book about his experiences in law enforcement. His book and flying career ended when he was sued for libel.

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Or someone making an effort to understand more about the subject they teach.
    Possible.

My opinion is that if that were the case, that's not the route she would have taken....and she wouldn't be representing herself in the manner she is.

As previously mentioned by jnc36rcpd, the reserves in DC are usually not doing the same thing as regular police officers. Like unarmed reserves everywhere else, they're most often used to staff traffic control and other static posts to free up regular officers for patrol. There's absolutely nothing wrong with being a reserve police officer, or unarmed policing position of any sort.....but I have a hard time believing that anything she did as an unarmed reserve for 5 years gave her any appreciable experience in criminal justice/law, since that's not what they're primarily doing. To pass herself off as basically a regular cop with 5 years of part-time experience given that she popped smoke right after getting training/authority to carry a firearm is kind of weak, as well.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    She was on a radio talk show in Chicago this morning. Nauseating to say the least. Nothing like a housewife/Georgetown College law professor/Lawyer with 2 minutes as a reserve Police Officer tell the rest of us how easy Police work is.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Possible.

My opinion is that if that were the case, that's not the route she would have taken....and she wouldn't be representing herself in the manner she is.

As previously mentioned by jnc36rcpd, the reserves in DC are usually not doing the same thing as regular police officers. Like unarmed reserves everywhere else, they're most often used to staff traffic control and other static posts to free up regular officers for patrol. There's absolutely nothing wrong with being a reserve police officer, or unarmed policing position of any sort.....but I have a hard time believing that anything she did as an unarmed reserve for 5 years gave her any appreciable experience in criminal justice/law, since that's not what they're primarily doing. To pass herself off as basically a regular cop with 5 years of part-time experience given that she popped smoke right after getting training/authority to carry a firearm is kind of weak, as well.
    Fair enough. I haven’t read the book. I don’t know how she represents herself.

If someone with minimal experience represents themselves accurately, I don’t see a problem. A boot doesn’t have to put in 20 years to write about being a boot.

User Tag List