Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Law professor joins D.C. police

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    She was on a radio talk show in Chicago this morning. Nauseating to say the least. Nothing like a housewife/Georgetown College law professor/Lawyer with 2 minutes as a reserve Police Officer tell the rest of us how easy Police work is.
    Ditto.
    I heard her on “Fresh Air with Terry Gross” on NPR this afternoon while I was on a run. In the the portion I heard (last half or so), there was no clear explanation of what a reserve officer was = the host made it out to be pretty much the same as a regular cop.
    The professor is clearly using a couple of years of reserve experience to bolster her credibility in the minds of the uninformed and advance her agenda to have, in effect, less policing. I was very put off from what I heard.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    She was on a radio talk show in Chicago this morning. Nauseating to say the least. Nothing like a housewife/Georgetown College law professor/Lawyer with 2 minutes as a reserve Police Officer tell the rest of us how easy Police work is.
    Yeah man. Super easy, responding to a domestic where one of the two parties involved bludgeoned the family dog to death by smashing it against a wall repeatedly. Nah, all routine stuff...

I hate people. :P

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    Ditto.
    I heard her on “Fresh Air with Terry Gross” on NPR this afternoon while I was on a run..
    I’m not a mechanic, but I may have an idea where your problem might lie.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Site Supporter
    This whole thread reminds me of the time many years ago when a hot ,tall, leggy blonde with a killer body got on the CPD. From day one she was assigned to a cush district (precinct). She parlayed herself into some inside gig downtown somewhere by running into former CPD Superintendent Jody Weiss at a restaurant. She gives him her card and tells him if he ever needs help to call her which he obviously did. Next thing I know she hooks up with 5.11 and as a "law enforcement expert". Then I put on the television one day to watch what's billed as a competition between various SWAT teams from across the nation and there she is. SHE NEVER FUCKING WORKED SWAT! She never really worked the street. But there she was. Of course when it came for Chicago's team to compete they lost miserably in the first round if IRRC because she couldn't hit the broad side of a barn and they went home.

Site Supporter
    The professor herself aside, policing is regional.

I’m aware that on the West Coast (including AZ) there are reserves which work regular, armed patrol duties, either paired up with a full time officer, or after working up to it, solo patrol.

However that is not the norm on the east coast, particularly in the Northeast. In the north east reserve officers are generally used for duties performed by community service volunteers on the west coast, and for assisting with fixed posts at special events such as parades and natural disasters.

As such I am extremely skeptical of her “experience.”

My second academy, which was a lateral academy, circa 1998.....

I assumed that the rest of the class had a couple to three years street experience like I did. Day one the training adviser/DI comes around to us in formation trying to be hard and find reasons to smoke us. He goes up to this guy and asked a few simple questions.

"Tell me about your best felony arrest at your old agency." I started flashing back to some murder arrests that I had made in case I get the same question and some other wild calls I had worked on the west side of Montgomery.

Troop replies "Sir, I never made a felony arrest, sir! "

I sort of shift my eyes that way to size this guy up figuring he must have been a real slug not to at least get a couple of decent arrest in his time. TA/DI asked him a follow up question....

"Okay, tell us about your best misdemeanor arrest."

Troop replies "Sir, I never made a misdemeanor arrest either, sir!"

Rest of the class in unison turns their heads and glares at the guy all wondering what the heck.

Turned out he was a sworn officer on a college campus that was known for academic excellence and it's religious base rather than a party type college. I learned a good lesson that day about having 2 years cop experience and how the level one was at varied wildly. Apparently, location location location matters more that in just the real estate game.

Toting a badge for a couple of years doesn't make one a street cop. More of a familiarization class.

Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post

I’m aware that on the West Coast (including AZ) there are reserves which work regular, armed patrol duties, either paired up with a full time officer, or after working up to it, solo patrol.

However that is not the norm on the east coast, particularly in the Northeast. In the north east reserve officers are generally used for duties performed by community service volunteers on the west coast, and for assisting with fixed posts at special events such as parades and natural disasters.

Well, keep in mind that DC does have reserves that work armed on patrol, both under an FTO type program or on their own. Apparently the program has less than a hundred people in it for all the reasons we can imagine, and I don't know how many are Level II (armed in FTO phase) or Level I (full fledged, works autonomously)....but, I think it's safe to say that the bulk of the reserves are probably General, not Level I or II.

She just wasn't at that level (level II) until the end of her time at MPD.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    The woman has had an impressive career and may be an intellectual. Most of us would describe her as highly liberal and might label her as leftist. I predict she will be offered a cabinet post in the new administration. She does have impressive academic credentials.

Site Supporter
    Just for information - here's an interview I saw in my news feed: https://www.newyorker.com/news/q-and...-the-dc-police

Does she have any reasonable points? Not my experience, so interested in learned opinions on what she said.

I note that there are police who became professors. Oh, no! David Klinger comes to mind: https://www.umsl.edu/ccj/faculty/klinger.html

His work seems reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post

Our Reserves are/were fully accredited AZPOST certified Officers. They generally rode with another Officer. There was one guy who did solo patrol usually with the same District. I knew a couple who soaked up Off Duty jobs. My agency has a lot of retired guys join the reserves after they retire. One was an AZPOST SME for firearms. He does his time at the range and training.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

User Tag List