Page 39 of 86 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Thread: Walther PDP New Duty pistol.

Just got off the phone with Walther CS- the 18rd mag reliability problem I’m experiencing is a known issue with an engineered fix of new spring and follower, but no ETA on the new spring/follower and no wait list. I was told to call back on 5/25 to try to get on the list for the revised parts. Asked about additional mags and no ETA at all available. Apparently they’re having issues with supply from MecGar.
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

Quote Originally Posted by DpdG View Post
    Just got off the phone with Walther CS- the 18rd mag reliability problem I’m experiencing is a known issue with an engineered fix of new spring and follower, but no ETA on the new spring/follower and no wait list. I was told to call back on 5/25 to try to get on the list for the revised parts. Asked about additional mags and no ETA at all available. Apparently they’re having issues with supply from MecGar.
    Apparently MecGar put all their resources into making Shield Plus mags.

I can make do with just a spare or two with the Shield, but it is hard to shoot the PDP full size seriously without magazines.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Ah, the joy of being a beta tester. (Just kidding, Walther has nothing on SIG for this phenomenon.)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    Ah, the joy of being a beta tester. (Just kidding, Walther has nothing on SIG for this phenomenon.)
    At least Walther admitted there’s an issue and worked on a fix instead of denying there’s an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    A cool thing about the PDP is we get to discover cool new things. The flip side, is we get to learn things that often only surface with the guns getting out in large numbers.

Something that I perceive, and am mentioning here to get other data points relates to the trigger. I have three full size PDP pistols, and all the triggers started out excellent. It seems like my most shot PDP has developed creep where I don’t remember it when new. My best PDP trigger is relatively unshot, and my middle pistol with a middle round count, has a trigger between the other two. Unless I am unlucky, or just flat wrong, my triggers seem to be getting worse with increasing round counts, rather than better as I would expect?
    Have you noticed this getting any worse? I noticed the same thing and have sent my 4" Compact back to Walther twice now. I had a chance to directly compare the trigger to a new PDP before I sent the handgun back for the second time and it was considerably different (worse). The trigger and striker safety was replaced this go around (after around 500 rounds) and I have a sneaking suspicion that this new trigger may degrade as well. Your mention is the first I've seen of someone potentially having the same issue as me.
    I'm just here for the entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by UsedJuniper View Post
    Have you noticed this getting any worse? I noticed the same thing and have sent my 4" Compact back to Walther twice now. I had a chance to directly compare the trigger to a new PDP before I sent the handgun back for the second time and it was considerably different (worse). The trigger and striker safety was replaced this go around (after around 500 rounds) and I have a sneaking suspicion that this new trigger may degrade as well. Your mention is the first I've seen of someone potentially having the same issue as me.
    Unless we are extremely unlucky, I think they have a problem.

Unless we are extremely unlucky, I think they have a problem.
    Bluntly, the trigger I have now isn't the trigger I bought the gun for, despite having been sent back twice. Aside from the grip physics, the trigger was the biggest selling point for me. At both times, before I sent it back, the trigger was heavier, grittier and more "staged" than every OEM Glock trigger I own or have used.
    Adding up the fact that there isn't an external safety or SCD-like device to introduce a larger margin of safety for AIWB carry and the potential issues with contact shots, I'm having a hard time rationalizing a daily use case for it.
    The lack of availability of proper active retention holsters is another drawback that I'm running into.

I really,really want to like this gun. It's the handgun I've shot my best with, is consistently more comfortable than my other options, and is just a generally nice gun. But if this trigger issue isn't isolated to just us two and is a larger issue overall; I might weigh my options, suck it up, and go back to my Glocks.
    I'm just here for the entertainment.

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    Had anyone experienced a similar trigger issue with PPQs? I have not heard of it.

Maybe they've changed coatings?
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce View Post
    Had anyone experienced a similar trigger issue with PPQs? I have not heard of it.

Maybe they've changed coatings?
    I was just telling my wife and a buddy down at the LGS, that over nearly a dozen PPQ and Q5 pistols, I never noticed that. I have two Q4 SF pistols with lower round counts, but those two triggers have gotten better not worse.

I was just telling my wife and a buddy down at the LGS, that over nearly a dozen PPQ and Q5 pistols, I never noticed that. I have two Q4 SF pistols with lower round counts, but those two triggers have gotten better not worse.
    In a similar vein, my two Walthers, a P99c and a P99, both started out with good triggers and only smoothed out/got better with use. It does make you wonder what, if anything, changed, since the triggers in the three generations of Walther pistols are essentially the same mechanism. As far as I understand, the PPQ trigger is just the P99 trigger with the DA function removed so that it's SAO and a slightly heavier spring so that it's about 5 pounds vs the P99's SA being more like 4 pounds, and the PDP trigger is just the PPQ trigger, maybe with some minor changes. Does anybody else understand that progression differently?

User Tag List