Page 30 of 86 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080 ... LastLast

Thread: Walther PDP New Duty pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Cereal View Post
    Perhaps but I can foresee some agency brass that doesn't want to authorise dots be reluctant to issue pistols that are factory capable. It opens the door for policy questioning, increased training necessity, equipment cost, and liability. I have zero doubt that a failure to train lawsuit would be brought involving an RDS equipped pistol and a cop who missed what s/he was shooting at and hit something s/he wasn't shooting at. I have a feeling Walther will get the "does it come without the optics plate" question.
    This is likely beyond the scope of the specific Walther pistol being discussed here, but you hit on a couple things that likely should be discussed. I'm not sure I understand how an optics capable pistol, even if not equipped with an optic, could increase liability, nor what policy questions would be raised. Do you mean officers would question why they are not given an optic to go with the pistol?

While there are issues with optics (primarily cost and the strengths/weaknesses of the specific optic chosen), if I were in the position of choosing a replacement pistol for my agency right now, it would be optics capable even if I could not immediately implement the optics. It is much more cost effective to buy pistols with the capability to grow into optics at the armorer level at a later date than to deal with the logistics of pulling in service department guns out of cops' holsters to be direct milled.

Equipping any pistol with an optic certainly does cost money, plus there is training necessary for transitioning officers to the optic, but ultimately optics allow increased threat assessment capability vs. irons and likely increase hit probability for most shooters. This increased capability, particularly in terms of threat assessment, should lessen the likelihood of a reasonable mistake of fact shooting (i.e. mistook cellphone in suspect's hand for a gun). As far as misses go, there will almost always be a lawsuit brought if that miss causes collateral damage/injury, regardless of sighting system.

I'm sure some administrator likely will ask specifically for a non-rds capable version of a pistol that natively has rds capability, but in my opinion that request is ill advised and not worthwhile for the manufacturer.
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

Looks like the PDP has the same issue as the PPQ where if the slide is pushed out of battery and you pull the trigger, you end up with a dead trigger even when the slide goes back into battery, so you have to rack the slide to be able to fire again.

Source: https://primaryandsecondary.com/foru...31/#post-48743

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    Looks like the PDP has the same issue as the PPQ where if the slide is pushed out of battery and you pull the trigger, you end up with a dead trigger even when the slide goes back into battery, so you have to rack the slide to be able to fire again.

I'm probably outside my lane here... but I read that conversation and agree with both of them.

I would agree that it is an "outlier" situation, and that if you are aware of the "issue" you can train around it so that if it does occur you can get your gun back into the fight. I can also completely understand how one would prefer to use a gun that does not have this potential issue since there are other solid options available that would fire in that scenario.

Edit: There is also definitely a conflict of interest there with Walther being a sponsor.

Quote Originally Posted by dontshakepandas View Post
    I'm probably outside my lane here... but I read that conversation and agree with both of them.

I would agree that it is an "outlier" situation, and that if you are aware of the "issue" you can train around it so that if it does occur you can get your gun back into the fight. I can also completely understand how one would prefer to use a gun that does not have this potential issue since there are other solid options available that would fire in that scenario.

Edit: There is also definitely a conflict of interest there with Walther being a sponsor.
    The 509 does the same thing. I watched my buddy freak out when he thought his gun was dead after tearing it down and cleaning it. I told him to tap, rack bang her and it will be good. He was pretty passed after that. Being a Glock dude forever

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Second Pfizer in the arm. Suck it, covid.

(ETA, sorry, wrong thread. Is there a vaccine for Tapatalk?)
    Last edited by JAD; 03-24-2021 at 12:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Second Pfizer in the arm. Suck it, covid. (ETA, sorry, wrong thread. Is there a vaccine for Tapatalk?)
    How Did We Get to This Point?

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post

YVK says Walther anticipated the USPSA rule change, and just run a light and call it good.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

PSA- Canik mag interchangeability

Well I ran into my first issue with my full size/4”. On two successive league nights I had weird feed issues on burner stages- one complete failure to feed (in battery, empty chamber) and two double feeds. At first I wasn’t sure what to make of it, then I noticed all issues were using Canik mags, not the Walther ones. In dry fire I noticed the meat of my support palm easily dislodged the Canik mags, but not the Walthers.

I got to checking the mags and noticed the mag release was not fully engaged, as seen with the backside not flush:Name:  990A7CD4-0632-4107-BA7D-9FAADFEFA4CA.jpg
Views: 1262
Size:  35.7 KB

Next I inspected both Walther and Canik mags and noticed the mag release cutout in the tube was not identical. Walther: Name:  101AB296-FE17-49C7-956F-0CBB5DB50EB5.jpg
Views: 1240
Size:  46.4 KB
    Canik:Name:  FCEE651C-32FA-4D0E-9731-90418960EAC1.jpg
Views: 1226
Size:  45.1 KB

Next I measured and ground the cutout to match the Walther mags and voila: Name:  7EA9CC56-990A-4626-AA33-AB78CF53744D.jpg
Views: 1257
Size:  40.0 KB

EDIT- Have not live fire tested my “fix” yet, will report back. In the meanwhile I’d suggest sticking to Walther mags for defensive purposes.

I have not noticed an issue with my 18 round Canik mags using extensions, but will go study this more.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I had no issues in slower fire or field courses- only burners where I was splitting fast with more than 2 rounds. I have pretty meaty hands so there might be some combo of hand size, grip placement, gun movement during string, etc. that was causing the issue. In any case it might be something to keep an eye on, but it also might not effect someone with different hands and/or grip style.

User Tag List