Page 3 of 86 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Walther PDP New Duty pistol.

I actually really like it. It seems to fix the things I disliked with the PPQ which were mostly grip length and grip texture related.

The grip texture and Glock sight cuts are both excellent ideas, and the optic mount system looks like a major improvement over the Q4/5 version. Also, having the option to configure it as basically the equivalent of a G19, G17, G45, or G17k, take your pick, is very cool.

That said, if it's still a fully tensioned striker with no manual safety option and no Gadget-equivalent feature like the PPS has, it's a pass for me personally. And that's before getting to the button release instead of paddles. Though I admit I'm in a definite minority when it comes to both those things. I just really, really want my full sized PPS Classic.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    That said, if it's still a fully tensioned striker with no manual safety option and no Gadget-equivalent feature like the PPS has, it's a pass for me personally. Though I admit I'm in a definite minority when it comes to both those things.
    I'm with you on that one. But, hearing more about the trigger and ergos... sounds like a nice option, otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    The grip texture and Glock sight cuts are both excellent ideas, and the optic mount system looks like a major improvement over the Q4/5 version. Also, having the option to configure it as basically the equivalent of a G19, G17, G45, or G17k, take your pick, is very cool.

That said, if it's still a fully tensioned striker with no manual safety option and no Gadget-equivalent feature like the PPS has, it's a pass for me personally. And that's before getting to the button release instead of paddles. Though I admit I'm in a definite minority when it comes to both those things. I just really, really want my full sized PPS Classic.
    We may be in the minority, but we aren't alone in avoiding fully cocked striker designs.
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

My recollection is that Tom Jones has told me he has no objection to a cocked striker design, just how some of them are designed. For example, he likes the M&P design.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I look forward to trying one out. Hopefully one of the many rental ranges in the area will get one or two into their fleet.

I don't love that big honking trigger guard, but this is a place where gloves are necessary for several months a year.
    And all the Glock sight options means there's no end of possibilities for personal preference there.

Looking at the texture which appears like little raised donuts cast into the grips, it makes me think they found a way to give good traction
    & surface area without having to get very gritty.

(ETA: I too hope they do a run with paddle mag releases.)
    Last edited by Lex Luthier; 02-16-2021 at 03:41 PM.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

This appears to be a refresh of the PPQ. Looks like there are a bunch of small well thought out changes for serious shooters. They moved the back up sight off the sight plate onto the slide. They added much more aggressive grip texture. Looks like the trigger is updated in some way. 18 plus one magazines make it viable as a duty gun for departments. The serrations look to be about as aggressive as possible without adding a charging handle to the side.

I feel they missed the make in two ways. The first is that a new pistol really should have a modular chassis. This one does not appear to. Second, they failed to redesign the thumb shelf (needed for ATF points for import) below the magazine release. It is my one ergonomic grip with the PPQ. If they had a serialized chassis I would just dremel it off and drive on. More apprehensive about doing it to a serialized component. Especially because I don’t feel the need to do it to a Glock.

I’ll see if I can put my hands on one soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post

(ETA: I too hope they do a run with paddle mag releases.)
    There will not be another Walther with a paddle release. This statement came directly from the chief engineer at Ulm a couple years ago. The sales number do not support it.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    My recollection is that Tom Jones has told me he has no objection to a cocked striker design, just how some of them are designed. For example, he likes the M&P design.
    So basically your saying a gadget for this is in the works?

I'm interested, the fact it's basically a evolved PPQ and they're selling slides and frames standalone and PMM has already confirmed a barrel/comp, this will make a fun project gun. I couldn't bring myself to delve into a P320 and I think this just solved that dilemma.

User Tag List