Page 29 of 86 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979 ... LastLast

Thread: Walther PDP New Duty pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    It is funny that the review I watched on it by the Military Arms channel basically said it is a heavy piece of junk that had little appeal. I find it an easy gun to shoot well and the weight makes it an alpha shooting machine.
    Does anyone actually take that person seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    Leaving aside his torture test silliness, I think a lot of what he has to say sounds fairly insightful by the standard of what you see on a YouTube gun review. I think the flaw with his “analysis,” is that he does it by feel rather than shooting drills and comparing performance. It is pretty easy to get tricked when you just aim it at a target and go blam blam blam.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    It is pretty easy to get tricked when you just aim it at a target and go blam blam blam.
    Particularly when said target is rarely shown to the viewer...

There are a few Youtuber types I enjoy, such as Hickok45 and Paul Harrell, and your match action snippets posted here are often quite illuminating, but for the most part, it’s a disturbing wasteland out there. (Grumpy off topic mode /off).

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Cereal View Post
    Does anyone know what the agency price on these is? The street prices I’ve seen (~$800) aren’t going to lend themselves very well to municipal contracts and budgets. Glock has a steep mark up for their consumer market, is Walther following a similar pricing format?

The individual mil / le price at GT Distributors in Austin was $520 for all models, I picked up a compact to keep my full size 4.5 company.

Quote Originally Posted by Trukinjp13 View Post
    Is it easy to bump the slide stop like vp9/p226 on her?

I know I know. Change your grip and it won’t happen... but still.

I like the looks of her and it seems to have most everything available that usually sucks on a new pistol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have the same problem with any thing other than Beretta 92’s, CZ-75s, and 1911 and I have no issue with it on the PDP. I was surprised with the long slide release.

Quote Originally Posted by JBP55 View Post
    I do not have one yet but was quoted $599 plus tax.
    That’s the price at my local Academy.

Played with a buddy’s PDP Compact yesterday and I really liked it. Ergo-wise it seems like the best of the VP-9, M&P, and of course the PPQ. My hands are traumatically formed to the G19 but I felt like I didn’t need to make any immediate changes.

Shooting was also impressive, namely two 10-rd strings at 25yds to a B-8. The first run, and also my first shots with the PDP-C, was an ego-kicking 71 in 24 seconds but the second string was 89 in 17.5. I’m sure if I repeated it I could start to meet my G19 baseline.

No optic was mounted but it felt like I like didn’t have to drive the presentation as much as a G-series.

Overall I think if I saw one for a good price I’d pick it up.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

I think that dude is really biased to his own tastes. To each his own. I rarely find any value from his videos. The video he put out about the Glock 19 being obsolete was such clickbait garbage.

As for the PDP this gun looks promising, but it won't end up in many American duty holsters. In America every police administrator with basic academy experience is a firearms expert and 'Glock is the way.' The Sig P320 snatched up a bunch of contracts because well, normally the people picking guns don't actually know what they're doing and the Army picked the Sig so it has to be good. I doubt we see any major contracts for Walther. Which is a shame because they have some really, really good guns.

I think Walther suffered the same fate as HK. The 15+1 capacities of their pistols kept a lot of agencies from adopting them. That's a pretty stupid reason, but it definitely played into it. HK's move to 17 round magazines in their VP9/P30 line up is proof of that. If Walther had a 17+1 version of the PPQ it would have peaked some interest with American LE. If the P2000 was a 15+1 instead of a 13+1 it could have taken some steam out of the Glock 19 craze. There just weren't many competitors to that 'genre' of pistol and well, here we are.

I also think the Optics Ready stuff is a bit over played. Sure, for me and you and this guy or that girl putting dots on guns might be the thing, but on an agency level it won't happen, at least not for a while. I don't see most agencies going with a Chinese made Holosun product. Maybe Sig because it says Sig on it, but it'll be Aimpoint and Trijicon that most places want to go with. That takes the gun cost and doubles it. When you're buying 1000 guns at north of $1300 each (Gun, dot, light) thats a fair piece. I don't see it happening at large agencies for a while, especially right now with 'F the Police Budget' and Covid Budgets.

Walther has made a smart move paying Larry Vickers to promote the PDP.
    Last edited by Hot Cereal; 03-22-2021 at 06:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Cereal View Post

I also think the Optics Ready stuff is a bit over played. Sure, for me and you and this guy or that girl putting dots on guns might be the thing, but on an agency level it won't happen, at least not for a while. I don't see most agencies going with a Chinese made Holosun product. Maybe Sig because it says Sig on it, but it'll be Aimpoint and Trijicon that most places want to go with. That takes the gun cost and doubles it. When you're buying 1000 guns at north of $1300 each (Gun, dot, light) thats a fair piece. I don't see it happening at large agencies for a while, especially right now with 'F the Police Budget' and Covid Budgets.

Walther has made a smart move paying Larry Vickers to promote the PDP.
    All fair points. I think going forward, most newly introduced pistols will be optics ready simply for marketing purposes- it’s inevitable.

All fair points. I think going forward, most newly introduced pistols will be optics ready simply for marketing purposes- it’s inevitable.
    Perhaps but I can foresee some agency brass that doesn't want to authorise dots be reluctant to issue pistols that are factory capable. It opens the door for policy questioning, increased training necessity, equipment cost, and liability. I have zero doubt that a failure to train lawsuit would be brought involving an RDS equipped pistol and a cop who missed what s/he was shooting at and hit something s/he wasn't shooting at. I have a feeling Walther will get the "does it come without the optics plate" question.

User Tag List