Page 52 of 86 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast

Thread: Walther PDP New Duty pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by JTPHD View Post
    To me, the recoil impulse feels soft / similar to comparable 5" striker guns. From memory, the 4" seemed snappier than say- a G19 but the 5" feels more like a G34 if that helps. I have a 509T on a CHPWS plate and also like how easy it is to track the dot compared to MOS guns.
    Wonderful, thank you, thats exactly what I was hoping to hear. I'm looking for a G34 sized gun that shoots comparably soft, but isn't a G34, as I already have a 17L.

I may have to snag a SRO to go with it; looks almost like the PDP was designed for it.

Apparently the PDP slides are cross compatible across frames, which allows for integral comp builds.

This looks very tempting; 5" full size frame with the 4" slide + Parker Mountain Machine Comp.

Downside is having to buy 2 pistols to create one.

Quote Originally Posted by spyderco monkey View Post
    Apparently the PDP slides are cross compatible across frames, which allows for integral comp builds.

Downside is having to buy 2 pistols to create one.
    They advertised that as a feature at launch but were unsure if they’d sell frames/slides standalone so like you said two pistols so I lost interest.

Quote Originally Posted by t1tan View Post
    They advertised that as a feature at launch but were unsure if they’d sell frames/slides standalone so like you said two pistols so I lost interest.
    I'm going to email them about whether they'll sell slides separately / offer the integral comp as a factory version, as they've shared photos of it multiple times on their FB page, so are clearly aware of the possibilities.

I have four, and the three I have shot a thousand or two rounds through have triggers that have degraded such that they are one pound heavier than they started. Has Walther addressed this yet?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter

WaltherForum discussion on trigger

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I have four, and the three I have shot a thousand or two rounds through have triggers that have degraded such that they are one pound heavier than they started. Has Walther addressed this yet?
    I’m subscribed to the same thread on WaltherForum concerning the issue. The member (Cross) mentioned the following:
    “ What you’re describing sounds like the sticking striker block and trigger bar rub that used to happen with the P99 and PPQ. Does the PDP have the anti-friction coated striker block? The coated one is black and the coating can wear off. The uncoated striker block is silver and isn’t as smooth but also doesn’t have a coating that can wear out.

There’s a lubrication point for the trigger bar where it rubs against a frame spacer that needs a drop of oil every now and then. Walther isn’t Glock, that’s for sure.”

I believe another member mentioned they’ve corrected the issue in newer models. When I get back down to FL I hope to put a few rounds through my PDP Compact 4” and used PPQ, which has a stupid nice trigger. I’ll also be picking up a new/old stock PDP Compact 5” to play around with a slide swap and PMM comp. i Hope to report back any findings but hope someone jumps in with Walther’s response/update.

Quote Originally Posted by CakeEater View Post
    I’m subscribed to the same thread on WaltherForum concerning the issue. The member (Cross) mentioned the following:
    “ What you’re describing sounds like the sticking striker block and trigger bar rub that used to happen with the P99 and PPQ. Does the PDP have the anti-friction coated striker block? The coated one is black and the coating can wear off. The uncoated striker block is silver and isn’t as smooth but also doesn’t have a coating that can wear out.

There’s a lubrication point for the trigger bar where it rubs against a frame spacer that needs a drop of oil every now and then. Walther isn’t Glock, that’s for sure.”

I believe another member mentioned they’ve corrected the issue in newer models. When I get back down to FL I hope to put a few rounds through my PDP Compact 4” and used PPQ, which has a stupid nice trigger. I’ll also be picking up a new/old stock PDP Compact 5” to play around with a slide swap and PMM comp. i Hope to report back any findings but hope someone jumps in with Walther’s response/update.
    I posted in that WF thread this morning.

Site Supporter

Ok, like many things, this has gotten complicated. Back when I started messing with the PDP, I reported that my two well shot in PDP 4.5 inch pistols had developed some grit, and that my basically new in the box 4.5 PDP had a trigger that was one pound lighter. I just put them aside due to the trigger concern, and the lack of OEM 18 round mags combined with the follower issue.

YVK got me interested in these pistols again, and in the last few days I decided to try to sort things out. I posted on the Walther Forum, and a prolific Walther member there described specific lubrication steps, that I am not used to with Glock and M&P style maintenance. Once I lubed the pistols, the grit seemed better, but darn the new pistol was still a pound lighter. I even compared it to the Walther dynamic trigger in a Q4 SF, and the newish PDP trigger was lighter than the competition trigger.

Then I focused on getting replacement magazines with the new (blue) follower. I ended needing to call Walther, and almost immediately I was connected with a knowledgeable CS person, who got the multiple mags squared away.

Next, I removed the slide of the “amazing trigger” PDP, to figure out if the good part of the trigger was in the slide or frame. My immediate reaction was, gulp, I see why! The nearly new PDP with the amazing trigger was missing the firing pin (striker) block. Since the only wrenching I did on any of the PDP pistols was to install a CHPWS plate and optic, it is clear that the firing pin block was left off during assembly or by someone in the distribution channel. In any event, I called Walther CS again, and they immediately got me a FedEx label for the pistol to come back.

Later I hit the range with a PDP (with all its parts) and an SRO, to shoot along with my regular CO pistol, a M&P CORE with an Apex FSS trigger and an Apex barrel. The PDP really held its own, which was impressive given how long I have been shooting the M&P.
    Last edited by GJM; 11-29-2021 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Fix typos

Ben Stoeger has started to put together a PDP, according to the most recent After Dark podcast. Could be interesting?

User Tag List