Page 47 of 86 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast

Thread: Walther PDP New Duty pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    The PDP uses a more reliable magazine and doesn’t have that goofy Glock grip angle. PDP has the better grip texture.

The PDP may not do anything better than a Glock, but I’d bet a Glock doesn’t do anything better than a PDP.
    I'm not sure anyone can claim better reliability than Glock mags... If Glock has continued to do anything right it's the magazines

Quote Originally Posted by DpdG View Post
    This isn’t a comment on the quality/benefit of Glocks, but unfortunately (to my chagrin) the PDP in 18rd format does not use a more reliable magazine. Mine had to be replaced as the first batch of mags did not run reliably, plus additional mags beyond the 2 it shipped with are in extremely scarce supply and when found are nearly 2x the cost of Glock mags.

My trigger has begun exhibiting the pre-travel hump others discussed. Haven’t bothered to pull anything apart to try to get to the bottom of it.
    From what I understand, the problem with the 18 round mags was the follower and it's been addressed in later mags.

I understand your frustration with the mag shortage. We went through the same thing when the PPQ was introduced.

I don't have many rounds through my PDP yet, but the "bump" I'm feeling in its trigger is the engagement of the striker block plunger. The PPQ has the same "bump" in its take up. It's never interfered with my shooting. I can't know how bad the "bump" is in your trigger, but I don't notice it in mine when shooting.

Personally, I prefer the PDP trigger over the Glock trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by pastaslinger View Post
    I'm not sure anyone can claim better reliability than Glock mags... If Glock has continued to do anything right it's the magazines
    Saying the PDP uses a more reliable mag doesn't mean the Glock mag is junk. It works great. But it's not the mag I would chose if I were designing a pistol. Its walls are thicker than they need to be, for one thing.

More pistols are designed around the Beretta M9 magazine because of its reliability and the PPQ mag is considered by some as best of the breed. (This is why Bill Wilson chose the PPQ mag for his EDC 9X.) The PDP mag is the PPQ mag. It's had some teething problems from expanding its capacity but they appear to be sorted out.

Objectively, I don't see any reason for someone to trade their Glock for a PDP or a PDP for a Glock. However, for subjective reasons, I like the PDP much better.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

My PDP triggers, on multiple specimens, have started off great and deteriorated with use.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    My PDP triggers, on multiple specimens, have started off great and deteriorated with use.
    When I can afford to, I'll get more ammo to run through the PDP and see how it holds up. When the trigger started getting light in the PPQ, a new recoil spring fixed the problem.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Every time I get ready to buy a PDP because I like my Q5 so much and the great reviews they get elsewhere, I come back to this thread and put it on hold again.

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    When I can afford to, I'll get more ammo to run through the PDP and see how it holds up. When the trigger started getting light in the PPQ, a new recoil spring fixed the problem.
    With my PDP pistols, similar to experiences reported by others, the triggers get rougher and heavier not lighter, with use. I never experienced that over many thousands of rounds through PPQ/Q5 pistols, and with the Q4 SF pistols I have.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

With my PDP pistols, similar to experiences reported by others, the triggers get rougher and heavier not lighter, with use…
    Oh? That is odd.

Is the trigger rough and heavy with the slide removed?

Yeah I would really like some more info on these trigger issues. Is it worse, or just different? The question a few pages back about a detailed strip and clean, interested in that. It doesn't make sense to me that a trigger would get harder, unless something was getting dirty. And yeah does it happen with the slide off the frame?

Has anyone with this happening contacted Walther?

I'm not willing to spend the ammo to reproduce it on my gun at the moment, but if/when it happens to me I will try to be the guinea pig.

Update: I made a RFI over on waltherforums, we'll see if anyone there shoots. https://www.waltherforums.com/thread...-users.127055/
    Last edited by ScotchMan; 08-31-2021 at 04:06 PM.
    Join FPC

With my PDP pistols, similar to experiences reported by others, the triggers get rougher and heavier not lighter, with use. I never experienced that over many thousands of rounds through PPQ/Q5 pistols, and with the Q4 SF pistols I have.
    Is the striker block silver or black? It seems early PDPs had uncoated silver striker blocks. Later models are fitted with striker blocks with a black anti-friction coating.

After a not-too-welcoming experience on Walther Forums, the consensus after a few responses seems to be that a coating is wearing off the striker block, and that one needs to lubricate the trigger bar as it rubs against that. @GJM can you try that?

Can we also get the date codes on all of the affected guns (and unaffected, if any are found) so that we can build a pattern as to whether this was fixed with an improved coating?
    Join FPC

User Tag List