Page 7 of 86 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast

Thread: Walther PDP New Duty pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ski View Post

RevolverRob thinks it is really, really ugly. Like Hillary Swank ugly.
    Nah that's the Qx SF that's so ugly. The PDP actually seems to tone the ugly down a notch, a good direction. Still not as nice looking as Gen1 P99, but is what it is.

I'm glad to read @Lex Luthier's comments on handling them in person. They certainly looked blocky as hell in the pictures, a little more subtle in person is good. Also good to hear the trigger isn't just a 1911 without a safety.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I will be very interested in shooting one of these, as Walther seemed to put a lot of thought into the design.
    Quote Originally Posted by HCountyGuy View Post
    Same here!

Can’t say I’ve ever really given Walther more than a passing glance, but this thing seems exceptionally well thought out. They got design input from really standout guys like Jedi and CHPWS plus they were forward-thinking enough to go ahead and have aftermarket support ready at launch. If the trigger is as good as or better than the PPQs I’ve messed with then the PDP is going to warrant some serious consideration.
    They got Vickers to do the intro:

As an aside when Googling the Walther PDP I kept getting results for some pepper spray gun they produce(d). That was a bit confusing initially.
    Right? I get that the pepper spray gun is a German market thing. But it still seems kind of dumb to use the some acronym/name for a new pistol, but whatever.

I will be very interested in shooting one of these, as Walther seemed to put a lot of thought into the design.
    Likewise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I really appreciate the work that Walthers is putting into their pistols.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Site Supporter
    If this was on the market last year, it would have been a difficult choice between it and the VP9 for me. The optic-ready plates thing is what shifted me, and 20 magazines, 2 guns, plates, etc. etc. later and logistically it's just a bit late for me to consider shifting.

But for customers who want a VP9 that's basically unobtanium right now - this has a LOT of promise.

Bunch of reviews have two inch groups at 25 yards. Anyone looked at the magwell area to see how it will be to reload?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Trying not to pay too close of attention to this... there is no deity but Gaston, there is no deity but Gaston.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Forget Glock, YVK predicts this new Walther will be the Staccato killer.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Forget Glock, YVK predicts this new Walther will be the Staccato killer.
    I thought Duke proved that the Staccato didn't need a killer to die fast?
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Interesting and seems to be positioned to compete squarely with VP9. Obvious comparisons:

Trigger is a bit longer in reset and and a bit heavier than VP9. Probably a wash in practical use.

Price is more or less on par, or a bit less, but Walther will send you a free optic mounting plate. However, ACRO is not listed or mentioned as an available option at this time, though an ACRO is shown on the Vickers video. Doctor, Trijicon, Vortex and Leupold are shown as available options. Call it a wash, unless you want to mount an ACRO.

VP9 has a robust steel cover plate, the PDP uses a polymer cover plate. +1 for VP9.

Texture on PDP seems to be well devised, but less customization with the grip on the PDP vs the 27 combinations available for the VP9. +1 for VP9.

Glock aftermarket sight compatibility on PDP gives you the phone book for choices. However the equipped sights are polymer, which for me is a no-go, and do not co-witness with most optics. The VP9-OR models currently ship with lower 1/3rd or 1/5th cowitness steel sights with a Tritium front dot. +1 for VP9.

Very high serrations on PDP vs full serrations and charging supports on VP9. A wash, probably.

18-round magazines for the full size PDP versus 17 for VP9. VP9 uses any 15, 17, or 20 round full size P30 magazine. PDP full size only uses new PDP magazines and will not take the PPQ magazines (but the compact will). Call that an wash, unless you have a bunch of PPQ mags.

VP9 standard has a 4” stepped chamber polygonal barrel. PDP has a 4.5” stepped chamber polygonal barrel. VP9L has a 5” stepped chamber polygonal barrel. A wash.

PDP has considerable parts carryover from PPQ.

Button release only on the PDP, VP9 has ambidextrous paddles or a switchable button as options. Call that a wash.

PDP has a (rather busy) rear cover plate, VP9 has a striker status indicator in the cover plate. +1 VP9.

At the end of the day, presuming there are no issues discovered with this new pistol, it will be a competitive choice. At least until some internet barbarian throws it into a mud puddle...

Quote Originally Posted by vaglocker View Post
    So basically your saying a gadget for this is in the works?
    #soon
    David S.

User Tag List