Page 28 of 86 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878 ... LastLast

Thread: Walther PDP New Duty pistol.

There’s a fine line between “striesand effect” and getting ahead of a problem for a company responding to a video like that... I think that they did a good job of staying on the right side of the line with their article.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    It is interesting that they tested 10,000 to 50,000 rounds on different pistols with no maintenance and no damage. As I recall, HK recommends, or did recommend, changing the screws that hold the optic plate to the slide every 2,000 rounds.

Walther gets credit for providing this information, as I have not seen another manufacturer offer anything detailed on their optics plate system.
    I wonder if they did any other maintenance on the pistols during that time. The customer service rep I spoke to on the phone the last time I ordered extra recoil spring assemblies for my P99 seemed quite surprised that I wanted to replace them every 5K rounds. Best I can recall, she said something to the effect of "you know we can't give them to you for free if they're not broken, right," to which I replied that I wasn't asking for them for free, I was trying to do preventative maintenance on a schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by JBP55 View Post
    I do not have one yet but was quoted $599 plus tax.
    That is the best street price I've seen yet.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    I wonder if they did any other maintenance on the pistols during that time. The customer service rep I spoke to on the phone the last time I ordered extra recoil spring assemblies for my P99 seemed quite surprised that I wanted to replace them every 5K rounds. Best I can recall, she said something to the effect of "you know we can't give them to you for free if they're not broken, right," to which I replied that I wasn't asking for them for free, I was trying to do preventative maintenance on a schedule.
    Thus what they say:

Two pistols were chosen. Each had 10,000 rounds shot with mounted Red Dot. No maintenance performed on the plates during the 10,000 rounds. No issues appeared, no loose screws.
    One pistol was chosen and had 20,000 rounds shot with mounted Red Dot. No maintenance performed on the plates during the 10,000 rounds. No issues appeared, no loose screws.
    One pistol was chosen and had 50,000 rounds shot with different versions of Red Dot sights and their corresponding adapter plates. While the same Red Dot and Mounting Plate were mounted, no maintenance at the plates was done, no issues appeared, no loose screws.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Thus what they say:

Two pistols were chosen. Each had 10,000 rounds shot with mounted Red Dot. No maintenance performed on the plates during the 10,000 rounds. No issues appeared, no loose screws.
    One pistol was chosen and had 20,000 rounds shot with mounted Red Dot. No maintenance performed on the plates during the 10,000 rounds. No issues appeared, no loose screws.
    One pistol was chosen and had 50,000 rounds shot with different versions of Red Dot sights and their corresponding adapter plates. While the same Red Dot and Mounting Plate were mounted, no maintenance at the plates was done, no issues appeared, no loose screws.
    We've got enough loose screws here on P-F.

I handled the full-size version at the LGS and it's pretty sweet.

@olstyn - Thanks for the unintended reminder, I need to call them and get a couple of RSAs for mine and some base plates too.

i bought the compact version, should be arriving at my local gun stealer tomorrow, looking forward to shooting it.

I put together another full size PDP with Ameriglo GL-511 BUIS, and a Holosun 508T on a chip-wiz plate. Here it is next to a Compact with a 509T.

The 509T is currently my favorite carry optic as it carries like a RMR but is sealed.

Name:  E00152D7-4566-4E7D-9AFB-377E96916809.jpg
Views: 3835
Size:  62.0 KB

I just picked up mine today ($620 prior to tax) and found that gunshops are not the place to go when COVID checks are arriving in bank accounts. But I eventually got my gun after the WA State law enforcement approval, which took less days than ever before. No complaint there.

I can't speak to actually firing it and frankly would not even after I have fired it. My skills do not compare to most of you.

I compared the PDP Compact to the PPQ and the Q5 Match, once I got home. That Compact grip is such a perfect fit to my particular hand size and shape. I honestly thought that the PPQ grip was perfection for me until I made the comparison. Now I plan to sell the PPQ. I didn't even notice the PPQ finger grooves could be irritating until the PDP showed up without them.

A couple of improvements which maybe haven't been mentioned. If they have, ignore me. 1) The extractor on the PPQ is a short and rather Glock-like one, which has the red paint and protrusion from the slide to indicate when there is a round in the chamber. The long extractors of the other 2 models give no clue of a round being in the chamber. 2) The PDP has a more robust ejector and it seems to be a replaceable part. Since the manual has no exploded parts diagram, I can't really tell if it is held in place by the frame roll-pin, but it looks like it might be. The other 2 have ejectors which seem molded in place and have less metal so are potentially weaker. Was it this forum which had a discussion about breaking molded-in ejectors and thus having non-guns?

As all others have said, the trigger on the PDP is even better than on the older models. If they come out with a Q5 Match version of the PDP I will strongly be tempted and I don't even compete with mine. It just aims and shoots so nice I keep it around.

Bart Noir

Not sure if I mentioned in this thread, but on a lark I bought a Walther Q4 steel frame a few days ago, and shot it at our local match today. I can use the same X300 TREX holster that works with the PDP, and I use the same 18 round Canik and Walther MecGar mags plus Taylor Freelance 140 extensions that I use in the PDP. I had a really solid match and enjoyed the Q4 a lot. It is funny that the review I watched on it by the Military Arms channel basically said it is a heavy piece of junk that had little appeal. I find it an easy gun to shoot well and the weight makes it an alpha shooting machine. Here is my match video from today.

Hammertime
    I have always liked Walther and that post makes me like them even more.

User Tag List