Page 33 of 86 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383 ... LastLast

Thread: Walther PDP New Duty pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Cereal View Post
    I’m sure this has been discussed, but I didn’t read the entire 30 something by pages of this. Are the 4in PDP guns compatible with Safariland ALS/SLS holsters for the PPQ? Unless there’s duty holsters available this gun won’t go anywhere. That’s the problem with Beretta’s excellent APX line up. Exactly one duty grade holster available-6360, only for the full size.
    The slide profile of the PDP is much blockier than a PPQ, so unlikely.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

A cool thing about the PDP is we get to discover cool new things. The flip side, is we get to learn things that often only surface with the guns getting out in large numbers.

Something that I perceive, and am mentioning here to get other data points relates to the trigger. I have three full size PDP pistols, and all the triggers started out excellent. It seems like my most shot PDP has developed creep where I don’t remember it when new. My best PDP trigger is relatively unshot, and my middle pistol with a middle round count, has a trigger between the other two. Unless I am unlucky, or just flat wrong, my triggers seem to be getting worse with increasing round counts, rather than better as I would expect?

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Cereal View Post
    I’m sure this has been discussed, but I didn’t read the entire 30 something by pages of this. Are the 4in PDP guns compatible with Safariland ALS/SLS holsters for the PPQ? Unless there’s duty holsters available this gun won’t go anywhere. That’s the problem with Beretta’s excellent APX line up. Exactly one duty grade holster available-6360, only for the full size.

Nope, and they don't fit the P320 holsters either. Safariland will have to make a new holster specifically for the PDP.

TXPO
    ColdBoreCustom.com
    Certified Glock Armorer
    Certified P320 Armorer
    Certified M&P LE Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    A cool thing about the PDP is we get to discover cool new things. The flip side, is we get to learn things that often only surface with the guns getting out in large numbers.

Something that I perceive, and am mentioning here to get other data points relates to the trigger. I have three full size PDP pistols, and all the triggers started out excellent. It seems like my most shot PDP has developed creep where I don’t remember it when new. My best PDP trigger is relatively unshot, and my middle pistol with a middle round count, has a trigger between the other two. Unless I am unlucky, or just flat wrong, my triggers seem to be getting worse with increasing round counts, rather than better as I would expect?
    It may be about springs. Trigger creep is more noticeable when springs start going soft. Because of the design, action shooting tension can affect striker shooting tension & vice versa.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    It may be about springs. Trigger creep is more noticeable when springs start going soft. Because of the design, action shooting tension can affect striker shooting tension & vice versa.
    Can you elaborate — which springs and at what intervals?

This is just a theory so bear with me while I try to work it out in my head and explain it-

-When tuning a trigger (not a specific trigger, just triggers in general), if the spring tension holding sear to sear is strong, the break feels crisper than it would if the spring tension is weak. With higher spring tension, the sear surfaces have increased stiction. When there is stiction, the surfaces stick to each other. They don't glide as easily. So, when they move, the stiction breaks suddenly. When the trigger is pressed, this sudden movement gives a crisp feeling. The shooter doesn't feel as much of the actual creep.

With weaker springs, there's less stiction. The sear surfaces glide over each other and it's much easier to feel the pre-ignition travel. It feels like there's more creep although the actual distance traveled is the same.

The PPQ cocks the striker as the slide goes into battery. Pressure from he action spring has to overcome the striker spring pressure. When the slide is retracted, the striker spring relaxes and the pistol is decocked.

What this means is the action spring is holding the slide in battery while tension from the striker spring is trying push it open.

As the action spring loses tension from use, it has less pressure holding the striker spring in place. You can feel this happening over time as the slide gets easier and easier to rack. Before I replaced the action spring, it took very little effort to move the slide back a fraction of an inch. It felt like the striker spring tension almost countered the action spring.

At the same time, the trigger pull got lighter and lighter and it was easier to detect the creep. It finally dawned on me what was happening when my wife bought a new PPQ. The trigger on the new pistol felt heavier and crisper and the slide took more effort to rack. I ordered one of those fancy action springs from Sprinco. Not the reduced power spring for competition, but the full power (red) spring. Effort needed to rack the slide was increased, trigger pull increased to normal and felt somewhat crisper.

My theory is, with less action spring tension holding the slide in battery, the striker spring has less tension against the striker release sear. Less tension means less stiction. Less stiction means the parts glide easier and it's easier to feel the creep.

As I said, this is a theory base on my experience with my PPQ. If I'm right, your action spring is losing tension.

As I began typing out my thoughts, it occurred to me that I overlooked another aspect. As you shoot your pistol, the sear surfaces smooth out which (surprise surprise!) reduces stiction. Again, reduced stiction means it's easier to detect the actual creep (pre-ignition travel).
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

eliminating creep

The PPQ and PDP use the same trigger design. The creep can be adjusted out by placing a set screw in the front of the sear housing so it will press on the single action lever. The interface between the single action lever and the single action sear is where the trigger break happens. My 2 PPQs came with very crisp breaks with very little sear contact. On the other hand my 2 PDP compacts had some creep do to excess sear contact. The sear housing on the PDPs have a hole molded into them at the correct location for the set screw. I tapped the hole and threaded it for a set screw and adjusted out the excess contact similar to the PPQs. No more creep.
    I tested the reliability of the sear contact by rapping on the slide with a plastic hammer as I do when tuning rifle triggers. All is good.
    Billy

Gunsmith, M/C mechanic, Retired Army, NRA Life Member
    "When you have to shoot...Shoot don't talk" Tuco

brain fart

in my previous post replace the word contact 4 times with the word engagement!
    Billy

Gunsmith, M/C mechanic, Retired Army, NRA Life Member
    "When you have to shoot...Shoot don't talk" Tuco

Quote Originally Posted by Bushytale View Post
    The PPQ and PDP use the same trigger design. The creep can be adjusted out by placing a set screw in the front of the sear housing so it will press on the single action lever. The interface between the single action lever and the single action sear is where the trigger break happens. My 2 PPQs came with very crisp breaks with very little sear contact. On the other hand my 2 PDP compacts had some creep do to excess sear contact. The sear housing on the PDPs have a hole molded into them at the correct location for the set screw. I tapped the hole and threaded it for a set screw and adjusted out the excess contact similar to the PPQs. No more creep.
    I tested the reliability of the sear contact by rapping on the slide with a plastic hammer as I do when tuning rifle triggers. All is good.
    Pretty extensive information on this (with respect to the PPQ) was posted some time back in the Enos forum along with photos and an in depth analysis. It’s still there.

I figured that the same would apply to the PDP but didn’t figure it was my place to mention it here. Thanks for the real-world info.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    I grabbed a first-gen P99 not long ago. I’ve only put about 50 rounds through it (so not “regularly”—but I haven’t been shooting much of anything “regularly,” these days). I really dig it so far. Seems to shoot right on POA for me.

Attachment 67682

I wish they’d bring the P99 system forward to the new platforms. Though I guess you can still get it in the magnum research version (MR9?). There’s something... satisfying... about pushing a button to decock.
    I owned a gen 1 p99 in 40, with a Bar-sto drop in 357sig bbl.
    Solid gun.

I carried the P99as for about 3 years as my carry gun.
    It was absolutely 100% reliable, accurate and I actually liked the fact that I could decock it, and feel safer aiwb.
    Hope that the PDP lives up to the press ;
    If I does, they've got a winner.

User Tag List