Page 38 of 86 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Thread: Walther PDP New Duty pistol.

https://www.rkguns.com/walther-pdp-f...-05+Taurus+856

Solid price if you live near a rural king.
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    So at this point is anyone here on P-F actually shooting a Walther PPQ/Q4/Q5 regularly?
    Yes. In my case, a 5-inch M1;

A few notes:

• I'm a HUGE fan of the paddle mag release, especially on the PPQ - they are long, easy to reach and easy to use. I've never had an accidental mag release with them.
    • The sear-release-upon-impact issue was with the early PPQs. Walther increased the sear engagement and solved the issue. I pounded on mine with a heavy rubber mallet and was never able to get the sear to release.
    • The overall front-to-back wedge shape of the pistol makes re-holstering in a JMCK IWB #3 a breeze. In comparison, my EDC PPS M1 requires careful alignment to get back in the holster.
    • The only feature I wish the PPQ had is the striker extension out of the rear of the slide. It comes majorly in-handy when re-holstering the PPS.
    • I'm running 10-8 sights on mine, U-notch in the rear and a tritium front.

If the PDP was offered with paddles, I'd be mighty tempted. Good to see more P-Fers getting their hands on Walthers.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    The only feature I wish the PPQ had is the striker extension out of the rear of the slide. It comes majorly in-handy when re-holstering the PPS.
    It wouldn't do much except display the state of the striker, which you know anyway presuming you've chambered a round, since the PPQ is a fully cocked striker design.

If the PDP was offered with paddles, I'd be mighty tempted. Good to see more P-Fers getting their hands on Walthers.
    Same. My P99 AS would very likely get retired from competition duty in favor of a 4.5 or 5 inch PDP, although what I'd REALLY prefer for that would be a Q5 SF with paddles. (I'm *almost* glad that particular item doesn't exist, because then I'd have to explain to my wife why $1500 for a pistol is an appropriate purchase.)

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    It wouldn't do much except display the state of the striker, which you know anyway presuming you've chambered a round, since the PPQ is a fully cocked striker design.
    Good point.

My thumb always rides the back of the slide when re-holstering the PPS, the striker extension would be felt if the trigger was being pulled. I find this very reassuring.

With the PPQ, it drops back into the holster so easily that I hope I would detect something amiss based on feel or sound.

Of course with both pistols, re-holstering is something I pay very close attention to.

I got to shoot my PDP today for the first time. My X300 and DPP plate came in this weekend.

Initial impression is that the X300 will take some getting used to - it almost seems to make the gun dip. On the plus side the dot isn’t leaving the window. One of the Canik mags I used failed to feed twice, with both times resulting in an empty chamber. I’ll be modifying the mag catch cuts to see if this helps things - it’s possible the mag was not locked up completely, as discussed earlier in this thread. The other Canik mag I tried had no issues. As expected, no issues with the Walther mags.

I had a limited amount of ammo so after establishing zero I shot a single B8 freestyle, resulting in a 98 at 25yds. I then fired some doubles at 5-10 yards along with some bill drills to familiarize myself with how the gun ran at speed. I dropped two rounds out of the A Zone, result of a sloppy grip.

I ordered a Dawson front BUIS. For the rear, I’m using the Galloway Precision insert, leaving the OEM rear on to protect the dovetail.

The gun is certainly different than the P365XL I’ve been shooting lately. I’m favorably impressed, and I went ahead and ordered some 140mm extensions for competition use. My USPSA belt kit should arrive by the end of the week, which will allow me to dry fire more manipulations.

How did it run with the Walther mags loaded to 18+1?
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

Quote Originally Posted by DpdG View Post
    How did it run with the Walther mags loaded to 18+1?
    I didn’t think to try that.

I am still having pretty consistent failures to eject/horizontal stovepipes with Walther mags loaded 18+1. The upwards pressure on the underside of the slide is slowing slide velocity enough that the spent case is not ejected.

EDIT- next step (haven't done it yet) is to lightly sand/grind the posts on the mag followers.

I think the full grip size PDP pistols are being held back now by magazines. The Canik 18 round mags don’t work perfectly, and OEM Walther 18 round mags have been unobtainium.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I think the full grip size PDP pistols are being held back now by magazines. The Canik 18 round mags don’t work perfectly, and OEM Walther 18 round mags have been unobtainium.
    Agreed. I found another difference between Walther and Canik mags, and this time it’s not easily fixable. The Canik mag catch cutout is placed about 1.5mm lower on the tube, presenting the top round lower on the feed ramp.

Walther:Name:  094453F0-1782-4249-A252-35256CE12567.jpg
Views: 721
Size:  40.7 KBName:  049A689A-39B0-462E-A706-CD26C97340F8.jpg
Views: 712
Size:  63.3 KB
    Canik: Name:  EA52CC3D-C8DE-4485-A950-107BE7919B2E.jpg
Views: 727
Size:  59.9 KBName:  F63CA48C-FD9A-48A5-A18A-F5540F2F72DD.jpg
Views: 709
Size:  63.5 KB

The worse part is the Walther mags won’t run right at 18+1 due to drag on underside of the slide (coil bind, not follower bottoming out), while the Canik more or less will, but is generally a little spotty due to feed presentation.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

User Tag List