Page 1 of 86 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Walther PDP New Duty pistol.

Walther PDP New Duty pistol.

Name:  iubuwjbykrh61.jpg
Views: 7943
Size:  34.8 KB

Looks like the upcoming launch on the 19th has leaked a few days early. This is the extent of my knowledge.

Full-size grip looks long. 19rd mags?
    Last edited by call_me_ski; 02-15-2021 at 11:26 PM.

Apparently 18-rounders from Q4/PPQ will work, but the 15-rounders will not.

Walther jumps into the "modular" frame world ala Sig P320 with this one. Maybe they'll get a thumb safety out for the smaller version before Beretta or HK.

I really can't get over how cheap modern Walthers look. And this is no exception. Whatever happened to just machining plain cocking serrations?

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I really can't get over how cheap modern Walthers look. And this is no exception. Whatever happened to just machining plain cocking serrations?
    They wouldn't look like Gucci Glocks, then.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Name:  ADC182FA-009A-4CF7-837C-CDB2DEFFEA84.jpeg
Views: 6862
Size:  81.9 KB

I don’t think it looks any cheaper than the modern crop of duty ready striker guns.

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ski View Post
    Name:  ADC182FA-009A-4CF7-837C-CDB2DEFFEA84.jpeg
Views: 6862
Size:  81.9 KB

I don’t think it looks any cheaper than the modern crop of duty ready striker guns.
    I agree for the most part.

I'm actually thinking new (post-Umarex) polymer Walthers vs. pre-Umarex (early P99s) Walthers.

Machining (or lack thereof) has been making things that are slab sided now except where they cut ugly divots/serrations that have no use. Frames are squared off, a lot of sharp corners, etc. The grip texturing looks better here, but that's about it, looks wise.

Time will tell how they hold up, hopefully well.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I agree for the most part.

I'm actually thinking new (post-Umarex) polymer Walthers vs. pre-Umarex (early P99s) Walthers.

Machining (or lack thereof) has been making things that are slab sided now except where they cut ugly divots/serrations that have no use. Frames are squared off, a lot of sharp corners, etc. The grip texturing looks better here, but that's about it, looks wise.

Time will tell how they hold up, hopefully well.
    No such thing as a pre-Umarex P99. Umarex bought Walther in 1993 and one of the first things they did was bring on new engineers and task them with making a modern polymer gun. The P99 was the result that was released in 1997.

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ski View Post
    No such thing as a pre-Umarex P99. Umarex bought Walther in 1993 and one of the first things they did was bring on new engineers and task them with making a modern polymer gun. The P99 was the result that was released in 1997.
    Well, call it "pre-Umarex design language" then.

Regardless, progressively since the P22 launched, the Walther line has been getting cheaper looking and cheaper feeling too. Hard for me to tel if the Q4/Q5s are holding up to high volume shooting overall. Maybe @GJM knows, I think he shot them a bunch a year or two ago.

Companies have to find ways to compete on price and it seems that modern striker guns are all about price. Hell, the quintessential cheap duty gun, the Glock, lost the Army bid because they were under bid by 40 percent. Companies are fighting tooth and nail to find margin everywhere. I would much rather a company finds a way to reduce machine time by reducing some exterior curves and keep quality otherwise the same than have all the small parts farmed out to India. YMMV.

I think the steel frame Walthers are a good indicator of their attention to detail. Walther didn’t just throw a PPQ top end onto a steel frame. They redesigned the Barrel locking surfaces and the slide lock mechanism to account for the much less flexible frame. The barrel and slide do not interchange with a normal PPQ. I do wonder how those guns are holding up. There has to be a few people with a lot of rounds on them by now.

Site Supporter
    If this is a grown up PPS, then I might find it interesting. If this is a PPQ in different clothes, then not so much. (Reference PPQ striker drop reported by @Doc_Glock.)

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

That beavertail area looks really flat and uncomfortable...much like the retarded design of the Q5 steel pistols beavertail. Who the hell is their ergonomics engineer?

I don't really understand this pistol. Its basically a PPQ with a different aesthetic on the frame?

User Tag List