Page 20 of 86 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast

Thread: Walther PDP New Duty pistol.

This also could be greatly mitigated by replacing the screws when changing the battery every year or so depending on battery life for the optic. How much are screws a couple bucks?

Site Supporter
    Damn, I was worried that we didn't have enough polymer striker fired pistols. Glad Walther saved us.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

I'm trying to find out if it's a tight fit plate that would use the entire front and rear of the plate as a lug, or if somehow they've decided it's a slip critical joint and the lower mounting has enough of an impact to reduce the moments and what not.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    Damn, I was worried that we didn't have enough polymer striker fired pistols. Glad Walther saved us.
    Wayne Dobbs for the win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure about that video. It's mostly the certainty with which he states things that's questionable.

The screws aren't the only thing providing the shear resistance... once the fasteners are torqued properly, that creates the compressive force between the plate and slide, which creates friction, which also provides locating force in the same directions a the shear from the screws.

Claiming that the fasteners "aren't designed to provide shear force" is a little misleading - whether or not something is designed to do a particular thing depends on what the rating of the thing is compared to what it's being asked to do. All fasteners will have an amount of shear they can resist, so the question is is the force on the screws, after the friction between the plate and slide are factored in, greater than what they're rated for.

Wheels on cars are similar - the force that keeps them on the hub is actually the frictional force between the wheel and the hub. The lugs serve to create enough compressive force so the frictional force is great enough (this is why torque specs are important). The studs actually don't carry much shear. This is why if you get aftermarket wheels with a larger centerbore than OEM, centering rings aren't necessary (although they make mounting easier). If the lugs are undertorqued that will pass shear to the studs and they will fail.

It is notable that the Walther design is different than the others, and that may indicate that the Walther design may be insufficient (or that the other designs are overkill). But I'm curious if those other mounting provisions on the the other guns are there to offload shear resistance or to make locating the plate initially more consistent (like a wheel centering ring). And as others have stated, if the fit of the plate is tight enough, none of this would matter.

The CZ design is nice though, as it provides locating force front/back and left/right.

I guess time will tell.

The video seems to bring up a viable point (at least from my limited understanding) but at the same time knowing about who was involved in the T&E of this gun and its mounting system I'm willing to wager if it was as problematic as this guy suggests those folks would've already said something and had it addressed. Granted we've seen respected industry people shill for defective products in the past, but I don't think the entirety of the group involved would let something like a potential mounting issue slide given how at least Jedi goes after Glock's crappy OEM plates.

Are @AsianJedi and @CH Precision Weapons hanging about still and willing to address the video?

Side note, LGS finally got ONE of the PDPs in recently. Honestly like the feel of it as the grip is nicely textured without being too aggressive, though I would've liked something with just a bit more bite. Dry-firing the trigger it's easily the best out-of-the-box trigger I've felt, even better than the PPQ. Walther seems to have a winner on their hand and I'm always welcoming of more options in the market of RDS-centric firearms.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

My CHPWS plate for the 509T arrived today, and it seems to provide more support for the optic than the OEM plate for the RMR/SRO/Holosun.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

These pistols are pretty lightweight, it would be great if they brought a steel frame version of the full size out for competition.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    My CHPWS plate for the 509T arrived today, and it seems to provide more support for the optic than the OEM plate for the RMR/SRO/Holosun.
    Interesting, I had the impression that the OEM plates were also made by CHPWS. One wonders, if that is in fact true, why there would be a difference.

The factory RMR/SRO/Holosun plate appears to be MIM and does not utilize C&H’s typical threaded T nuts, so I’d venture it’s not C&H.
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

User Tag List