Page 49 of 86 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast

Thread: Walther PDP New Duty pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by fly out View Post
    Norma 9mm at .21 would be a distant outlier right now. I've seen it several places in the last week, and bought some, and it was nearly twice that, at the best pricing I saw. More than twice, at some places.

No offense to the poster, and if he got it for .21, more power to him, but I think it's a math error. $21 for a box of 50? You bet. $10.50? That retailer wouldn't have survived 2020, with COVID/BLM/Biden.
    It was a special deal, received via email, and to be fair I probably should not have mentioned it because it was certainly an outlier. My point was really that the days of 0.50/round are behind us at the moment- if you do a bit of work to find it.

Finally got around to shooting my 4" full-size after getting it back from Walther with new mags with blue followers, putting about 50 rds through it testing and 100rds during a 3 gun match. Pro: No more issues with failures to eject on the first round of 18+1. Con: still getting intermittent premature slide lock, occurs at least once, usually twice per magazine. These malfunctions occurred with both the new factory mags and the modified Canik mags. At this point I'm not sure if its shooter induced with my grip causing upwards pressure on the slide lock, or if it's a mechanical issue. Either way, I think I'm done.

Side note- I cleaned it after the match and while the normal areas were about as expected for 150rds of Sig and Aguilla, the striker and striker channel were disgusting, with weird brown schmutz accumulated. This schmutz was stickier/harder to clean than the usual carbon fouling and I'm really not sure what it is or where it came from. I'm very careful about not getting any lube in the striker channel and this gun has less than 1k rounds through it in its lifetime.
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

https://www.waltherforums.com/thread...5/post-1277677

This is what I experienced with mine. After many hours of dry fire, before the first live round ever went through the gun, I noticed the trigger pull changed after lubrication. I used Lucas gun oil, and after application, the pull got much grittier. I suspect there was some leftover manufacturing particles that got washed into the safety plunger channel by the thinner oil. I eventually broke down all components of the slide, cleaned everything, polished the striker safety plunger and trigger bar, lightened the safety plunger spring, then reassembled and lubed. I have not had any issues since and the pull is vastly improved.

The "hump" talked about is definitely the safety plunger as there is no other tactile response in the press until the wall if you remove it.

I hope someone brings to market some NP3 coated plungers like Overwatch has for the Glock.

Quote Originally Posted by Winegamd View Post
    https://www.waltherforums.com/thread...5/post-1277677

This is what I experienced with mine. After many hours of dry fire, before the first live round ever went through the gun, I noticed the trigger pull changed after lubrication. I used Lucas gun oil, and after application, the pull got much grittier. I suspect there was some leftover manufacturing particles that got washed into the safety plunger channel by the thinner oil. I eventually broke down all components of the slide, cleaned everything, polished the striker safety plunger and trigger bar, lightened the safety plunger spring, then reassembled and lubed. I have not had any issues since and the pull is vastly improved.

The "hump" talked about is definitely the safety plunger as there is no other tactile response in the press until the wall if you remove it.

I hope someone brings to market some NP3 coated plungers like Overwatch has for the Glock.
    For a derivative of the PPQ, with a great trigger being it’s strongest attribute, you would think Walther would have figured this out. Makes me wonder about all the professional testers that supposedly put so many rounds through the test pistols.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    For a derivative of the PPQ, with a great trigger being it’s strongest attribute, you would think Walther would have figured this out. Makes me wonder about all the professional testers that supposedly put so many rounds through the test pistols.
    I did some searching on the Walther forum and found that there have been many owners that experienced this with their PPQ's. All of them either sorted out over time or they owner modified the spring somehow. Sprinco does make a lighter weight spring, but it seems to have more to do with the length than weight. Many report that the coil seems to bend during compression causing stacking that is felt as grit.

Since the hump of the plunger is offset to one side, I bet there is some sort of side loading causing the spring to not stack vertically.

There is probably also some coil bind occurring due to the length, so when you remove coils or go to a lighter spring the symptoms disappear. Easy fix with a conical spring or flat wire spring as many stated on the Walther forum.

Once the plunger is taken out of the trigger pull, however, the trigger is pretty darn close to my PX4 SA feel. Definitely better than my CZ-P10C or any Glock trigger I have felt.

Site Supporter

PDP 18-round Mag Update Kit

Enough to upgrade two mags. Here. Just got the email from Walther about this.

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    I did some searching on the Walther forum and found that there have been many owners that experienced this with their PPQ's. All of them either sorted out over time or they owner modified the spring somehow. Sprinco does make a lighter weight spring, but it seems to have more to do with the length than weight. Many report that the coil seems to bend during compression causing stacking that is felt as grit.

Since the hump of the plunger is offset to one side, I bet there is some sort of side loading causing the spring to not stack vertically.

There is probably also some coil bind occurring due to the length, so when you remove coils or go to a lighter spring the symptoms disappear. Easy fix with a conical spring or flat wire spring as many stated on the Walther forum.

Once the plunger is taken out of the trigger pull, however, the trigger is pretty darn close to my PX4 SA feel. Definitely better than my CZ-P10C or any Glock trigger I have felt.
    You're talking about a conical or flat wire plunger spring? Who makes those?
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce View Post
    You're talking about a conical or flat wire plunger spring? Who makes those?
    As of right now, no one. Sprinco is the only aftermarket manufacturer that makes a Walther plunger spring that I have found. It is silicon, so better than factory, but it is a traditional round wire spring.
    https://sprinco-com.3dcartstores.com...ing_p_748.html

Galloway also makes a plunger spring for the Canik guns that should work, but again only a traditional round wire spring.
    https://gallowayprecision.com/canik/...-elite-pistols

Both are a reduced weight, however, and a smaller diameter than the factory spring so either should remove most issues caused by the factory spring.

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    As of right now, no one. Sprinco is the only aftermarket manufacturer that makes a Walther plunger spring that I have found. It is silicon, so better than factory, but it is a traditional round wire spring.
    https://sprinco-com.3dcartstores.com...ing_p_748.html

Galloway also makes a plunger spring for the Canik guns that should work, but again only a traditional round wire spring.
    https://gallowayprecision.com/canik/...-elite-pistols

Both are a reduced weight, however, and a smaller diameter than the factory spring so either should remove most issues caused by the factory spring.
    Sounds like they will reduce factory pull weight though.

Have you tried any of the above?
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce View Post
    Sounds like they will reduce factory pull weight though.

Have you tried any of the above?
    The Plunger spring change is negligible. I collapsed some coils on mine, so it is probably even lighter than the Sprinco/Galleway units. I didn't really notice any difference in the pull weight. There is just no resistance or hump in the take-up now.

In my opinion, the safety plunger is way over-sprung from the factory. The amount of force it would to take to move the couple of gram plunger far enough to release the striker would require a much larger force than anything i can conceivably inflict "accidentally" with my lightened spring.

The trigger return spring will drop you down to a scant 3-3.5lbs. Unless you're looking for jail bait splits in a competition only application, that, to me, just seems entirely too light. Coming from a DA/SA Beretta 92, the Walther already feels dangerously light with the factory 4.5-5lb pull.

The plunger spring change, though, is an absolute must perform change IMO. It completely changes the already excellent pull.

I also recommend using some Slick 2000 or Wilson gun grease (or other high quality gun grease) in the spring cup and plunger channel. It has a better tactile feel and will help keep fine dust out of the channel a little better to prevent any "grittiness".

User Tag List