Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wind power fails in Texas

Slow LTE Service; Probably Overwhelmed

We have no power, now, and, so, I am thinking that the slow LTE is due to so many wi-fi routers being down, prompting many to use LTE from mobile devices. We are OK, but with slow LTE, will not be doing much inter-webbing, for a while.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    The problem with "green" energy is that much is being pushed by people who have no clue about energy production.

Then again, this is true of most things being pushed by the media.
    If those people get their way you will be walking around with a propeller on your hat to charge your cell phone so they can track you.

And they want to eliminate the internal combustion engine in automobiles. We barely have enough power to keep the lights on and these lunatics think the grid can support 100% of all vehicles electric!

My biggest concern about "going green" is the utter lack of transparency. We're not as stupid as the political/elite class believes. If a)climate change is real and b)it's an existential threat release a thorough report with citations that establishes same; finding 100 academics to vouch for this emergency is not enough; I'd be willing to bet that many have received grants with the underlying purpose of establishing the veracity of the "emergency".

Ok, let's accept the mission; we need to change the state of our energy production and consumption by 2035. What does this look like, what investments have to me made, where do the funds come from, what's the impact on the economy, why on earth would we try to kill fossil fuel production/distribution before we have a plan. We will need a robust economy to pay for all this wishful thinking and the current administration is on a path to kill the economy. The powers that be treat us like idiots and treat tax revenue and newly printed, inflation producing dollar bills like their own piggy bank.

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    Well. You say that...

Schadenfreude aside, I'd like to see a breakdown once this is all over based on source type and how much capacity they lost. I doubt wind is going to be at the top of the list, though not like it maters since its a smaller source to begin with.
    I’d like to see that breakdown too. But according to the posted article almost 1/4 of TX’s electric capacity is done with wind. Even in TX the wind doesn’t blow all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    Even in TX the wind doesn’t blow all the time.
    Are the turbines not close enough to Austin?
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Beat me to it. Was going to say "Impossible, with all the hot air coming out of that place."
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    My bad. I should have said West Texas where all the turbines are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    We have no power, now, and, so, I am thinking that the slow LTE is due to so many wi-fi routers being down, prompting many to use LTE from mobile devices. We are OK, but with slow LTE, will not be doing much inter-webbing, for a while.
    Best of luck for a quick resolution. My friend in Austin is still dark, no rotating blackouts at all. Plumbers in TX are going to be buying new boats and other toys this year.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by rdtompki View Post
    My biggest concern about "going green" is the utter lack of transparency. We're not as stupid as the political/elite class believes. If a)climate change is real and b)it's an existential threat release a thorough report with citations that establishes same; finding 100 academics to vouch for this emergency is not enough; I'd be willing to bet that many have received grants with the underlying purpose of establishing the veracity of the "emergency".

Ok, let's accept the mission; we need to change the state of our energy production and consumption by 2035. What does this look like, what investments have to me made, where do the funds come from, what's the impact on the economy, why on earth would we try to kill fossil fuel production/distribution before we have a plan. We will need a robust economy to pay for all this wishful thinking and the current administration is on a path to kill the economy. The powers that be treat us like idiots and treat tax revenue and newly printed, inflation producing dollar bills like their own piggy bank.
    Sort of related, see https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...r-electricity/ . Musk says electricity demand will double by 2040. Electric vehicles will be a big part of that demand. None of this works unless we have reliable ways to generate the electricity, and a grid that can move it to where it's needed when it's needed. Everything needed to utilize, store, or move "green" electricity has to be either mined or drilled. The expansion of mining, smelting, and finished cable and fitting production will be enormous. I'd love to have electric drive vehicles but I fully agree with you: the true costs aren't being evaluated.

It's not like the oil and gas boys are throwing a kegger over an open fire while the green hippies freeze:

"The imbalance occurred as residents cranked their thermostats amid record-breaking lows in some areas of the state, causing electricity demand to surge amid a precipitous drop in generating capacity. The grid operator said it lost about 34,000 megawatts of supply as freezing temperatures forced natural-gas and coal-fired power plants offline in quick succession. The weather also reduced natural gas supplies to power plants and caused wind turbines in West Texas to freeze."

WSJ

User Tag List