Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Wind power fails in Texas

Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Please QUANTIFY the amount of waste produced, the number of years it remains deadly and the methods of storing it with sufficient safety that you would have your family home next door to the storage facility.

Fukushima happens.

I'm betting on Hydrogen.
    https://www.epa.gov/radtown/nuclear-...craft-carriers

Lots of sailors sleep in close proximity to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Please QUANTIFY the amount of waste produced, the number of years it remains deadly and the methods of storing it with sufficient safety that you would have your family home next door to the storage facility.

Fukushima happens.

I'm betting on Hydrogen.
    I think nukes are safe but the waste is a yuge problem. Nobody wants it in their backyard.

https://www.tri-cityherald.com/news/...225386510.html

https://ag.nv.gov/Hot_Topics/Issue/Yucca/

Freezing in the dark might be a better option. Seriously, we lose our power here a few times during the winter due to high wind and trees that are 50' high. Every year the power company hires contractors to cut trees near the power lines. That still doesn't solve the problem entirely because they don't maintain the powerlines on private property. Both of my neighbors have each spent several thousand dollars to cut trees near their power lines in the last few years. The tree fallers are busy taking trees down around structures and power lines. I had a dead beat neighbor that wouldn't take a tree down and every winter his tree knocked my power out, sometimes 2 or 3 times.

My solution to the power failures was propane. I now have propane for heat and keep the tank topped off during the winter. People who rely on the grid in my area are smoking crack or just don't mind being without heat for 2 or 3 days. Personally I like some heat when it's 20°.
    Last edited by Borderland; 02-17-2021 at 08:50 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Rolling black-outs in our area, today, rather than the erratic who-knows-what-when, so, an improvement. Our present problem is water. Our small city of Bellaire contracted with Houston, Texas, to provide water, but Houston’s water service has imploded. Bellaire has been trying to resurrect disused pumps, to bring up well water, with limited success. Water pressure is just a trickle, for us, and for many others, and none for some. I’ll have to wait until another night to play with matches, I reckon.

Just a few clocks, to our east, has no power, and the infrastructure is physically OK, so, we know that we could black-out at any moment, as we have been lit-up for several hours.
    Last edited by Rex G; 02-18-2021 at 12:41 AM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    Rolling black-outs in our area, today, rather than the erratic who-knows-what-when, so, an improvement. Our present problem is water. Our small city of Bellaire contracted with Houston, Texas, to provide water, but Houston’s water service has imploded. Bellaire has been trying to resurrect disused pumps, to bring up well water, with limited success. Water pressure is just a trickle, for us, and for many others, and none for some. I’ll have to wait until another night to play with matches, I reckon.

Just a few clocks, to our east, has no power, and the infrastructure is physically OK, so, we know that we could black-out at any moment, as we have been lit-up for several hours.
    Same for my sister/nieces re: water pressure in Houston area. My bro-in-law is in Austin under a boil water notice. Whole situation seems to suck but glad you seem to be doing okay

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Although I'm not in TX, this event is (further) confirmation I need to buy a generator for grid-down situations.
    Not just aimed at you, but if you do install a backup/sandby generator, the issue of keeping the generator fueled is not a small one. A number of those gensets run on natural gas; natural gas supplies have been a problem during the current emergency in Texas.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

The real scary thing is that many people believe that what Texas is experiencing is unique to Texas. While it may be exacerbated by the state having its own electric grid, the same type of decisions are made by every other state and utility operator. As a nation, the USA has not really invested in critical infrastructure in more than fifty years. We will see more of these events.

Here is where fed.gov should focus. We have travel infrastructure issues (air traffic control, bridges, etc.), comms issues (one explosion in Nashville killed data in the southeast for anyone or any company using AT&T), financial (did anyone see the GUI for how Citibank paid off a $900 million loan in error?), and power (how do we power everything?) issues. Fed.gov wants to put people to work; think of the money and jobs needed to modernize all of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Not just aimed at you, but if you do install a backup/sandby generator, the issue of keeping the generator fueled is not a small one. A number of those gensets run on natural gas; natural gas supplies have been a problem during the current emergency in Texas.
    Yes. Until this fiasco it seemed to me that the NG generator would be the ticket - fed by underground pipes, unlikely to be damaged, vandalized, stolen, does not go bad.

But now I think maybe not, which leaves something you can store in quantity. Gasoline does not keep so would need to rotate / refresh that regularly, not hard but not convenient either, jerrycans or whatever could be stolen, also very flammable. A large propane tank might be an option especially if you have a large or rural property, not so much in the city or even the suburbs.

Maybe someday (as opposed to "soon") advanced battery technology will provide some storage capability, both at commercial / industrial and household levels.

I still think a NG/LP genset is the 98% solution for most people. Did the NG supply actually get curtailed in TX? I thought it was just warnings until they got the wells back online.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk View Post
    Same for my sister/nieces re: water pressure in Houston area. My bro-in-law is in Austin under a boil water notice. Whole situation seems to suck but glad you seem to be doing okay
    Thanks! Our power stayed on all night, last night, and is still on. The official temp at 0700 was 30, in nearby Houston, Texas. The precip is well to our west, so, my mother can get to her scheduled COVID vaccination today.

We will weep for the damage to some of our plants, and I will need to make minor-for-me repairs to water piping system, but we stayed warm enough, hydrated, and well-fed. A family member (not my wife) fell, hard, and may need medical attention for her shoulder, but that happened before any utilities were affected, so, was not caused by the weather events. If not for having to deal with that fall, however, I could have (very-carefully) driven to get my mother, who was colder, that night, than an 80-year-old person should be.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

User Tag List