Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parler's back

Parler's back

And it appears that Parler is back.

I saw a news article calling it an alt right social networking site.

I guess not censoring people based on politics is alt right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post

Effectively, yes. The only reason Parler exists is because Twitter censors right-wingers. Therefore, most of the people who are looking for a Twitter alternative are right-wingers, which means that Parler is a lot more right-wing than it would be if Twitter never existed. If it was Parler that was first in the ~250-character micro-blogging world instead of Twitter, then Parler's audience would be a lot more representative of the populace at large.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post

Let's see if they will continue not censoring people. Considering that the previous CEO is gone, I have a feeling that their approach will be different this time.

Quote Originally Posted by cheby View Post
    Let's see if they will continue not censoring people. Considering that the previous CEO is gone, I have a feeling that their approach will be different this time.
    It's nice to have all the evil domestic terrorist Trump voters in one place where you can keep an eye on them.

They have a serious uphill battle considering the security screw ups they had before. Not addressing open endpoints that allowed mass export of data. Also, as I understand it, not cleaning EXIF data from user-uploaded media. So the leftwing activists that scraped their data not only have a significant amount of uploaded media... but apparently also the EXIF data to potentially identify people with. Freakin amateur hour if you ask me...

They also made the mistake of building their platform based on proprietary AWS services. "Vendor lock-in" is generally a bad idea when it's a niche or business in which you will become a massive cancel culture target.

Gab has been decent so far from what I've seen. Though, the quality of discourse on social platforms is a bar that is already very low.
    Administrator for PatRogers.org

For grins, I tried logging back in last night and nothing.

I've been able to get back in since yesterday.
    "Specialization is for insects." -Robert A. Heinlein

They couldn't convince me that their service added any value to my life the first time around so why the hell would I decide to support them now?... People using it now / still have the situational awareness of a fucking rock as far as I am concerned.
    "So strong is this propensity of mankind, to fall into mutual animosities, that where no substantial occasion presents itself, the most frivolous and fanciful distinctions have been sufficient to kindle their unfriendly passions, and excite their most violent conflicts." - James Madison, Federalist No 10

Aaaaand… looks like Parler is back, again. Just got an email with a new word that I didn’t know “sideload.” As in, the iOS app is not available from the apple store, so you have to sideload it directly from Parler. Just the email’s existence speaks volumes, IMHO.

Anyhoo, carry on…
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

User Tag List