Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How is Kahr P380 and PM9093

I have a P380 and CW380 as well as a CW9 still. All have run well and been consistent. I had a PM9 but sold it and got a Glock 43 to try as a replacement. I like the Glock 43 better for shooting as it is softer recoiling and more familiar but it is a touch larger.

I have had the occasional FTFeed on the 380s but rarely and often when the gun is getting dirty. I had 2 Ruger LCPs before getting the Kahrs and liked them well enough but wanted better sights, slide lock and lock back on empty mag so I sold them and went with the Kahrs. If I had to do it again I probably would go with the LCPIIs and save a few bucks but it would be a toss up. I like the grip shape and texture on the LCPIIs and black slide better than the Kahrs but that is personal preference.

Site Supporter
    I had a PM9 when they first came out and it didn't run. I had no motivation to play with it, so it traded to a G26. Now, that was a long time ago and I have no experience with the latest versions.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Given the P380's outstanding trigger, small size, excellent sights and good looks, it would be the best micro-compact 380 on the market if it would actually run.
    The Kahr P380 is even rated for the "+P" loads that Buffalo Bore and Underwood sell.

Mine wasn't even reliable with standard FMJ from Federal and Remington.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan0354 View Post
    What state you live in? I can at least get S&W Shield in kalifornia.
    You're kind of all over the map on size of guns, here. The Kahr PM9 and S&W Shield are nowhere near the same size. Ditto the PM9 and LC380. While the size differences on paper may appear small, they're quite substantial in real life. Doubly so the P380 vs these choices.

Instead of asking about random guns, it might be best to lay out what you're trying to do and then finding a gun suited for the role. If you do that, I think you'd understand why a Shield and PM9 shouldn't be competing choices. The Shield is a proper single stack gun for IWB carry....the PM9 is the smallest reliable 9mm you can carry, and is really more appropriate for deep concealment such as pocket carry, belly bands, and ankle rigs. It can be carried IWB if needed, but there are objectively better choices if IWB belt carry is where it will spend its life.

So, what task are you trying to accomplish.....what role are you trying to fill?
    Last edited by TGS; 02-19-2021 at 11:13 AM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I want to reiterate my earlier comment - in my opinion, OP would do better to get proficient with his new 26 first, and then look at smaller and larger Glocks if needed. An off list G42 or G43 would fill a smaller gun role, and a 19, 17 or 34 for larger. And they would all have the same UX...
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

For some reason I seem to be drawn to unpopular guns (such as Sig DAK, HK LEM, PX4). So of course I also like the Kahrs. As to both the .380 and 9mm, I prefer the trigger on the Kahr to anything else in the same size class. Actually, I am not sure what else there is in the PM9 size class.

They do benefit from a break-in period, but I would not trust a gun for serious purposes without running at least a couple hundred rounds through it anyway, so I don't care about the break-in. But I have also I have had some Kahrs that worked fine from the first round. The metal framed guns have a better reputation than the polymer, but I am not sure that is based on anything other than how they are used and who owns them.

I have a P380 that has worked without a hitch and that I trust. I first tried the LCP, (two versions) because they were so praised. I cannot shoot them worth a damn. It is probably just the shape or size of my hand, but the things just don't work for me; actually one of the few guns I really hate. I then went to a S&W bodyguard, popular with a number of co-workers as a BUG. It is acceptable. I can, however, shoot the P380 much better. It has run fine with any ammo I have tried and generally, with most new guns I try to run a wide variety of ammo through, to sort out what will and won't work well. It certainly works fine with WW, Fiocchi and Hornady 90 grain ammo. If and when the ammo situation improves, I may get around to running some other stuff through it. I would like to try the Hydra Shok deep. Generally, the .380 is a mediocre round and I am not sure if ammo choice matters that much, but something other than ball that penetrates well is my goal.

My most frequent off duty carry gun is a PM9. It works without a hitch on every ammo brand I would carry in it (HST, Gold Dot, Ranger). I suspect it would be fine with other brands as well; I just haven't tried any.

There have been magazine follower/feed ramp issues for the 9mm. I have not experienced that, but would watch for it or simply replace the follower with the Lakeline metal one on any mag carried for defensive purposes. I have also heard that Kahr changed their followers in the past few years and I have some of those and they are different. Not sure if that has solved the reported issue. you could order followers from Kahr to replace any older versions you might have. The 380 has reportedly had breakages of its striker. I replaced my with one from Lakeline as a precaution.

In case it is of interest, this photo shows the follower, on the right. The change occurred sometime around 2016, but I have no idea how quickly or slowly they became the standard.

Name:  Kahr new follower.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  29.1 KB

An online article that might be of interest:

https://www.officer.com/tactical/fir...at-the-kahr-p9
    Last edited by jd950; 02-19-2021 at 01:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DrkBlue View Post
    I shot a PM9 to the point it was no longer reliable, around 10k. Bad customer service soured me on Kahr, separate from the PM9 wearing out. I just do not trust the manufacturer any longer.

Went to Glock. Much less drama.
    Very curious about what wore out. Assuming it was not the frame, Kahr sells almost every part imaginable on their website and most can be easily replaced. Many small parts on any gun will "wear out." I assume you had the gun and it worked well for an extended time if you put 10,000 rounds through it.

Also curious about the bad customer service issue. What did they screw up?

Not trying to challenge you, I am just curious.

What Glock did you choose to replace the PM9? I am guessing the 43, since there is nothing in the Glock line the same size as the PM9.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I want to reiterate my earlier comment - in my opinion, OP would do better to get proficient with his new 26 first, and then look at smaller and larger Glocks if needed. An off list G42 or G43 would fill a smaller gun role, and a 19, 17 or 34 for larger. And they would all have the same UX...
    I am living in kalifornia, G42, 43 are not an option. I am not ruling out the bigger ones. I cannot buy one until 3/5/21, so I have time to talk!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    You're kind of all over the map on size of guns, here. The Kahr PM9 and S&W Shield are nowhere near the same size. Ditto the PM9 and LC380. While the size differences on paper may appear small, they're quite substantial in real life. Doubly so the P380 vs these choices.

Instead of asking about random guns, it might be best to lay out what you're trying to do and then finding a gun suited for the role. If you do that, I think you'd understand why a Shield and PM9 shouldn't be competing choices. The Shield is a proper single stack gun for IWB carry....the PM9 is the smallest reliable 9mm you can carry, and is really more appropriate for deep concealment such as pocket carry, belly bands, and ankle rigs. It can be carried IWB if needed, but there are objectively better choices if IWB belt carry is where it will spend its life.

So, what task are you trying to accomplish.....what role are you trying to fill?
    Ha ha, my goal is to buy more guns!! That's the reason I am open to everything. I just got the Glock 26, and I have a S&W 659, I am leaning to a smaller one, but I am not shutting the door on bigger gun.

Also, I just bought the Glock 26, I am NOT able to buy another one until 3/5/21. So I have time to talk and listen.

I am leaning towards Ruger LC380 because it can be converted to 9mm easily. I feel I shouldn't try to get the smallest size of the caliber because reliability goes down with size. LC380 is a good balance for 380.

I just realize I was blind, why am I restrict myself to 9mm and 380!!! How about a bigger one like .40 or 10mm!!! Or even 45!!

There are a lot of Glock in .40, 10mm legal in Kalif. Between 10mm and .40, which one is more common and cheaper ammo? I am cheap!!!

User Tag List