Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .22 Suppressors and Rifle Precision

I run a suppressor on my gopher .22, so I can get more than one shot without getting all of them running back into holes. Educate me, why a suppressor on a .22 for matches?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    It's a pressure gradient - an average of 14.7 psi exists at sea level, and there's a max of 24,000 psi in the brass upon ignition. That pressure pushes the bullet, and drops to ambient rather quickly once the barrel is no longer plugged by the bullet.

There is no seal - it is that there is no pressure gradient, so the residue and smoke remain in the barrel until the action is opened, or sufficient time passes to allow thermodynamics to evacuate the smoke (hot air rises, nature loves things to be in balance). Things don't go BACK into the gun on a bolt action at all, which would require the barrel to have a vacuum in order to pull things INTO the barrel.

Pressure gradients move things when we're talking about pneumatics or hydraulics.
    Brother - we agree.

I’m asking you a question to lead you into a point to extrapolate the same thing. I’m not saying there is a seal after the bullet leaves.

All I’m saying is gas remains in the barrel for a longer duration with a suppressor.

Would you disagree?

I don’t know how you could. I’m suggesting that either turbulence from the suppressor handling air or increased particulate in the gun barrel as potentially a contributor to degradation in accuracy.
    God Bless,

Brandon

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    Brother - we agree.

I’m asking you a question to lead you into a point to extrapolate the same thing. I’m not saying there is a seal after the bullet leaves.

All I’m saying is gas remains in the barrel for a longer duration with a suppressor.

Would you disagree?

I don’t know how you could. I’m suggesting that either turbulence from the suppressor handling air or increased particulate in the gun barrel as potentially a contributor to degradation in accuracy.
    Gotcha - I do agree with you. It's been a long day, and I wasn't reading in comprehension.

I think the way to test the theory you're proposing is to stick with bolt guns and run the bolt according to a metronome in the 20, 10, 5 second intervals while shooting for groups, and see what we get. Possible turbulence would probably be minimized by subsonic ammo - if supersonic I think it'd have to be shot under 40 yards - the guys at Voodoo hint that transonic happens at 50-60 yards.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    Gotcha - I do agree with you. It's been a long day, and I wasn't reading in comprehension.

I think the way to test the theory you're proposing is to stick with bolt guns and run the bolt according to a metronome in the 20, 10, 5 second intervals while shooting for groups, and see what we get. Possible turbulence would probably be minimized by subsonic ammo - if supersonic I think it'd have to be shot under 40 yards - the guys at Voodoo hint that transonic happens at 50-60 yards.
    All good!

I had that day yesterday - lol!

I think my statements made more sense today (let’s not get carried away here).
    God Bless,

Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Educate me, why a suppressor on a .22 for matches?
    Me, too. It is something extra to buy and maintain. Unless it assures substantially better accuracy, why bother?

I will ask my target shooting friend how many he sees at various events.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Me, too. It is something extra to buy and maintain. Unless it assures substantially better accuracy, why bother?

He said a .22 suppressor is very nice at "precision" shoots, it is just click-clang, no adverse effect on accuracy.
    NRA does not allow them for regulation Smallbore.

They are very common at Precision Rifle Series, but again, NRA does not allow them at High-power or F class.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post

It makes the entire experience much more pleasant for me and doesn’t add that much more maintenance, for me.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    I just saw this video today, and it reminded me that this is something that I've been wanting to see if others have found the same problem.

Has anyone else noticed this loss of consistent precision?
    I have a SiCo Sparrow that opens up groups on my Vudoo and shrinks groups on my CZ 455. Don't know why, but that is what happens. No noticeable difference in group size shooting 17 hmr.

User Tag List