Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Digital Glock Device

Actually to that end, the way to market this would be to partner with Cabelas or some big chain that has a range and do demo days and free installs for customers.

Site Supporter
    Here is part of the answer to the question of who this device is intended for: a child found a gun in a purse at home, killed the mother, and injured another child.

https://www.wpxi.com/news/trending/n...CJQYIKTZ6QB7Q/

Although purse carry comes with some very obvious disadvantages, on-body carry can be very difficult for many women in many circumstances. Some of the more creative alternatives have not done well in pressure testing, but purse carry has done surprisingly well.

I have always recommended that any women considering purse carry use a purse with a separate, locking gun compartment so that the gun can be secured or unsecured as needed. Or, the entire purse can be placed in a locked container when it must be left unattended. However, what is the likelihood that the locking zipper will be locked or unlocked at the correct times all the time?

If the locking or unlocking of the gun happens automatically upon proximity to the gun, many (certainly not all) such incidents could be avoided with significantly less danger of having an inaccessible gun when the gun is needed.

Of course, if the phone is also in the purse, the system may not work.

If we could eliminate the legal/political issues, I would definitely favor something like this for those who carry in a purse.

Perhaps the concept is not limited to purses. Perhaps a modified version could be applied to an AR pistol or other PDW carried in a bag. Trying to find a locking bag for a PDW is NOT easy. The very few I have found use zippers through which a small luggage-type padlock can be placed. Eliminating the need to spin the combination dials on the padlock while still providing a layer of security would be a huge plus.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    What happens when folks forget to lock the gun and leave it laying around?
    I thought one of the features ("proximity locking") was geofencing so the gun, once you were X feet away, would engage/disengage the lock based on distance. The app was mostly for configuring the settings and whatnot, not for explicitly locking/unlocking the gun as necessary.

SafeOp Glock trigger safety

hello all, thanks for the continued discussion. We're excited about the product and as always looking to improve where we can - these discussions - reaching out to you in the community - getting feedback is incredibly valuable. The demo days and partnerships with stores like Cabellas are definitely on our radar.

Inventors of previous incarnations of smart guns also made glowing claims about the reliability of their creations- they turned out to be wrong. Knowing how fallible electronic devices can be, I am extremely skeptical of this one as well. What kind of stress will recoil forces put on it?

More importantly, politicians are going to be quick to jump on this and mandate the technology on ALL firearms (Biden already said he wanted to push such a scheme, before a viable example was even on the market). They won't care if it is 50% reliable. Law Enforcement will be exempted of course. Good for the company selling the device though, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Machine Inc View Post
    hello all, thanks for the continued discussion. We're excited about the product and as always looking to improve where we can - these discussions - reaching out to you in the community - getting feedback is incredibly valuable. The demo days and partnerships with stores like Cabellas are definitely on our radar.
    To be frank, I couldn't recommend it as a carry solution. It's not so much the "smart gun" or integrated-electronics aspect--I wouldn't recommend using physical in-gun locks like the Smith and Wesson, Springfield, or Ruger designs. They might be perfectly reliable, but people aren't. The other note being, I never advise anyone to replace care/custody/control with a gadget. But that's okay, I'm not your target market, and anybody that's going to follow the brand of advice I give isn't, either. Your target market is, honestly, not the enthusiast/prosumer market, which is what P-F really is. Tam Keel put it best: there are people out there for whom the gun is a personal safety appliance. That's who you're after. It's not a dig, those people are consumers with money as well, and deserve to have products made with them.

That said, this is America. I'm pretty sure somebody is going to do something really dumb, like leave a gun accessible because they have it locked. I'm also pretty sure that it's unlikely that that will result in anyone actually getting shot. And because this is America, that person is responsible, not the seller of a reliable product that functions when used properly. So you guys do you--go get that money. There are plenty of utterly shit carry products out there *cough*Lethal Lace*cough* that separate morons from money, that are actually dangerous when they're used properly.

I think you guys are maybe missing a marketing point, though. Forget carry--I think a there's a large market out there for people that just want to lock their guns at the range. Most places aren't going to let you take your heater downrange with you, and there's a reason I never leave a pistol behind me without one loaded in a holster--even at a private club. Ditto for securing a pistol in a classroom--although the recent Las Vegas attempted theft and subsequent shooting was the three-dimensional chess of fail. Sure, people could use the POS cable lock that came with their pistol, but using a cable lock doesn't look cool, and people like gadgets.

And on a personal note, I don't know about everyone else, but when somebody challenges your gun cred, a list of stuff you own is kind've a cringe-y answer. Pic at a match works, pic at the range works, pic of that 92 with some honest wear on it works.
    Last edited by Wise_A; 03-05-2021 at 11:02 AM.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    thanks for the continued spirited discussion.

Our goal is to make firearm ownership safe but in no way whatsoever minimize the freedoms that we all (including me) enjoy daily. We think we've designed a pretty good start at ensuring those freedoms (without compromise) are intact. If we can prevent just one accidental death or injury in the two years we've invested in this project I think this is a good start.

As mentioned before we're gun enthusiasts, we're not software geeks at a desk (or at least all the time), we're in the community, on the range, we're enhancing, refining, and improving every day. This is and continues to be a project where we need input, support, and involvement. Everyone reading this is a valuable component of that.
    Quote Originally Posted by JN01 View Post
    Inventors of previous incarnations of smart guns also made glowing claims about the reliability of their creations- they turned out to be wrong. Knowing how fallible electronic devices can be, I am extremely skeptical of this one as well. What kind of stress will recoil forces put on it?

More importantly, politicians are going to be quick to jump on this and mandate the technology on ALL firearms (Biden already said he wanted to push such a scheme, before a viable example was even on the market). They won't care if it is 50% reliable. Law Enforcement will be exempted of course. Good for the company selling the device though, I suppose.
    Doesn't Jersey have a law on the books that as soon as a "smart gun" is available for sale, all guns have to be "smart guns" in order to be legal to sell? Anyone familiar with that know whether an accessory could cause the law to go into effect, or would this technology have to be fitted as OE from the factory?
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Doesn't Jersey have a law on the books that as soon as a "smart gun" is available for sale, all guns have to be "smart guns" in order to be legal to sell? Anyone familiar with that know whether an accessory could cause the law to go into effect, or would this technology have to be fitted as OE from the factory?
    To be clear we don't support that legislation - and the goal from day one was for this to be a consumer choice and nothing that would be government-mandated. Additionally, our offering currently is only for Glock pistols and specifically the Glock 19.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise_A View Post

I think you guys are maybe missing a marketing point, though. Forget carry--I think a there's a large market out there for people that just want to lock their guns at the range. Most places aren't going to let you take your heater downrange with you, and there's a reason I never leave a pistol behind me without one loaded in a holster--even at a private club. Ditto for securing a pistol in a classroom--although the recent Las Vegas attempted theft and subsequent shooting was the three-dimensional chess of fail. Sure, people could use the POS cable lock that came with their pistol, but using a cable lock doesn't look cool, and people like gadgets.
    We have something in the works for just this Summer this year.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    To be clear we don't support that legislation - and the goal from day one was for this to be a consumer choice and nothing that would be government-mandated. Additionally, our offering currently is only for Glock pistols and specifically the Glock 19.
    The problem is, that's not your choice. Pretty much any pistol with a pivoting trigger could in theory have an interlock added. If some government decides that because your product is available and demonstrated to work, then any semi-auto pistol must have it to be legal to sell in that jurisdiction, then even shutting down your company won't change the law. There really isn't anything you can do about it other than lobbying and getting the votes out.

Look what Kamala Harris did with microstamping in CA.

Like it or not, you are involved in a fairly complex and vastly high-stakes political situation that involves things you can't control, maybe only influence a little.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List