Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Smith & Wesson 19 Carry Comp vs. model 66 2.75" barrel

I don't own one but, 03RN has written many posts about his experience with the 2.75 M66 and its all been good!
    Billy

Gunsmith, M/C mechanic, Retired Army, NRA Life Member
    "When you have to shoot...Shoot don't talk" Tuco

Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    Pol,

I believe there's another thread somewhere here (or maybe I saw it on another forum) but the general consensus was that in the last few years all the "PC" label means is they charge you more for a stock gun that has "PC" stamped on it someplace. Oh yea, and they have that cool seal on there too. That gotta be worth something...isn't it? S&W just ain't what they used to be.

YMMV,
    Dave
    Though no one with an in at the company has really verified it, that is the general consensus on the Blue Forum and it matches my otherwise limited experience as well.

The "Performance Center" factory guns are, ostensibly, just parts "that come out of a different bin." They are not, for instance, assembled by the Performance Center gunsmiths that will do the "master revolver action job". Assuming those gunsmiths still exist. The PC gunsmithing services section of the S&W website is MIA, but whether that's because of covid, because S&W doesn't do it anymore or because the website is a hot mess is TBD.

Regardless, this notion that the PC branding is anything but that-- branding-- is not something based in reality anymore. You're paying for non-standard barrel configurations, porting and other options that are still very much factory.

If people are thinking that a PC gun is to a regular Smith as a Lexus is to a regular Toyota they need to update their expectations. That hasn't been true in at least 20 years, and based on my sample of one, even 20 years ago when the actual PC gunsmiths were still present and still using forged parts well past the cutover to MIM the actual work performed was... adequate. Good, not great. I think you'd have to go back to the 90s to find actual master gunsmiths.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushytale View Post
    I don't own one but, 03RN has written many posts about his experience with the 2.75 M66 and its all been good!
    I have. I am also only reporting on a sample size of one. I guess I could add a 4" and another 2.75" m66-8 to that were rentals at the range I worked at. Both of them shot very well with decent triggers.

I just recently shot a 5" 25 yard DA group with my garbage m66 with a hole.

I don't claim to have as much revolver experience as many of the experts on this forum and subform. But I do agree with the overall consensus that today's performance center guns are not what they used to be.

Right after New Year's I took possession of a 586 Performance Center L comp. It had to go back to to the factory the very next day, kept locking up where wouldn't fire. It's still there at the factory.

Early last year I got an older model 19. Pre lock. Overall feels like a much better made firearm to me.

I have both (66-8 2 3/4" and M19- Carry Comp). I actually prefer the 2 3/4" 66-8 - I wouldn't pay extra for the Carry Comp. However in today's market, I'd buy the one that is available and be happy.

FWIW,

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    My experience is that everything that S&W has built since the lock was introduced has been garbage. I have one and many other pre lock guns so I can compare. If you want an L frame buy a pre lock gun. My cut off is about 1990.
    Both my 69 and my 619 are just fine in every respect, thank you.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Both my 69 and my 619 are just fine in every respect, thank you.
    My 625-8 is also fine but I inspected it before I bought it. I think that's the only way to be sure these days. I don't mean they're all garbage so that was a generalization on my part. My bad.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    My buddy has a m19 carry comp. Very nice gun but it doesn't do anything better that a m66. The night sight sucks. It's very hard to see in low light. Putting a meprolight in either is much better.

I also think the action is better on the 66
    I think thats the same type sight they put on the pro series 3” j. The vial is buried so deep in the sight its useless. I saw one of the carry comps at a lgs. If Im remembering correctly the rear notch is very shallow not a typical notch. Im not sure if you can replace the rear sight blade. I think I called smith about it and there is not a replacement but thats been a while ago and I would verify if that would be a concern.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

If it was me I'd get the 66 and spend the $300 difference (or less) on slicking up the DA trigger pull. Fairly simple to do yourself but if you're not inclined there are smiths who do very good work.
    I'd never buy a PC gun expecting a $300 better trigger.
    I'd not buy a PC gun period unless it had a feature(s) I couldn't live without and were not available aftermarket.

That said, the Carry Comp and L Comp are very nice looking guns (to me).
    But Frank Glenn will do a"Duty Action Job" for 135 bucks, chamfer the chambers for 50 bucks. Leaving 150 bucks toward sights or holster or whatever.

User Tag List