Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smith & Wesson 19 Carry Comp vs. model 66 2.75" barrel

Banned

Smith & Wesson 19 Carry Comp vs. model 66 2.75" barrel

I'm looking for a new concealed carry gun. I normally carry a S&W 356 but the recoil is a little "snappy" and I found using the safari land comp 6 shot speedloaders for K frames a lot easier to use than speedbee 7 shot L Frame speedloaders (comp2 don't come in 6 or 7 shot L frame size), hence considering a K frame.

Is there anybody that had experience with both guns who can tell me what I get for the extra $$ a Carry Comp costs? Is it a better carry gun? I'm not worried about the price of a Carry Comp, but I don't like to spend more money than I need to. I'll be carrying appendix, so a shorter barrel is an advantage. Other than that they look to be fairly similar in size.

thanks

Site Supporter
    I've owned two S&W Comp guns, both L-frames. Take this for what it's worth.

The comp built into the end of the S&W revolver barrels does not reduce recoil as many think or assume. What does do, and this more so with higher pressure ammunition, is reduce muzzle flip. The 586 comp guns I had (a 3" and a 4") smacked my hand just as hard with full power 125g 357 Magnums and any other L-frame. It did however come back on target much quicker than any other L-frame I've owned, including 4" 586s, 686s, and a 581.

Dave

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    I've owned two S&W Comp guns, both L-frames. Take this for what it's worth.

The comp built into the end of the S&W revolver barrels does not reduce recoil as many think or assume. What does do, and this more so with higher pressure ammunition, is reduce muzzle flip. The 586 comp guns I had (a 3" and a 4") smacked my hand just as hard with full power 125g 357 Magnums and any other L-frame. It did however come back on target much quicker than any other L-frame I've owned, including 4" 586s, 686s, and a 581.

Dave
    IME with a 642 power port This ^^^ is spot on.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    The comp built into the end of the S&W revolver barrels does not reduce recoil as many think or assume. What does do, and this more so with higher pressure ammunition, is reduce muzzle flip.
    That's been my experience with a magnaported 6" Model 29.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Banned
    I'm not really concerned about recoil as both will recoil a lot less that my 386. I was thinking more in terms if S&W does do $300 worth of extra work warranting the extra cost of the gun.

But all this talk about porting made me remember why I don't like ports - the blinding flash in low light conditions and the very unnatural (to me) lack of roll during recoil. I'll think I'll go for a 66, stone and polish the action myself and save myself some money.

My buddy has a m19 carry comp. Very nice gun but it doesn't do anything better that a m66. The night sight sucks. It's very hard to see in low light. Putting a meprolight in either is much better.

I also think the action is better on the 66

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post

I also think the action is better on the 66
    That's not good. The Carry Comp is supposedly a "PC" gun. I would have thought they would put effort into making trigger better than the other models.

Well, all the more reason to go for a 66 over the carry comp.

Just this morning, I read a new post on the S&W Forum from a guy that purchased a new Carry Comp. Very disappointing review on a new S&W let alone a PC gun.

Site Supporter
    Pol,

I believe there's another thread somewhere here (or maybe I saw it on another forum) but the general consensus was that in the last few years all the "PC" label means is they charge you more for a stock gun that has "PC" stamped on it someplace. Oh yea, and they have that cool seal on there too. That gotta be worth something...isn't it? S&W just ain't what they used to be.

YMMV,
    Dave

Pol,

I believe there's another thread somewhere here (or maybe I saw it on another forum) but the general consensus was that in the last few years all the "PC" label means is they charge you more for a stock gun that has "PC" stamped on it someplace. Oh yea, and they have that cool seal on there too. That gotta be worth something...isn't it? S&W just ain't what they used to be.

YMMV,
    Dave
    My experience is that everything that S&W has built since the lock was introduced has been garbage. I have one and many other pre lock guns so I can compare. If you want an L frame buy a pre lock gun. My cut off is about 1990.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List