Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: RFI: Rugged Smartphones

After destroying various 'Active' smartphones I purchased a Cat S60. I used it for two years, long enough to rip all the carbon fiber off the back. I was happy enough with it to purchase the new model S61.

Most of the things I was unhappy with on the S60 have been improved on the S61. If you have no use for the FLIR camera and other features the S41 is similar and cheaper. I've used it as a company phone a few times with no issues.

Site Supporter
    Thank you. Cat and Oukitel both seem to make some very impressive phones.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric_L View Post
    IF you consider Apple: My XS was underwater for a couple days last year in a river. Someone found it and it was returned to me. Works fine. UAG cases go into a pocket easily, drop proof, both on website claims, and in real life for me...... Use a screen protector.
    Quote Originally Posted by karandom View Post
    Just a quick note, Apple is better for privacy then an android based operating system. I used to hate Apple as well, but prefer their business model of selling devices vs Google which is purely data collection and Android is one of those avenues.
    I've been doing more research on this and feel compelled to acknowledge that if I wasn't the special kind of idiot that I am, the advice to just go with an apple product would be spot on as far as I can tell. Apple seems to produce better phones (specs and performance-wise) than the one's in the running for me and be generally much better all around on the privacy front. Me being me, I'm not going to do that, but that doesn't mean you aren't both right.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rdtompki View Post
    Fair enough. I haven't gotten an old time letter in at least 20 years.
    Well, I'll put my quill down. She likes the case. Although it hasn't passed a drop test yet, so I'll not stopper the ink bottle just yet.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Just another nod for Apple.

I've had my 6S since 2015, in a simple Magpul case. Being a clutz, I've dropped it over 50 times onto concrete or hard tile over the years, from an average height of 3-4'. Frankly I think a number of wristwatches, flashlights, lighters, and handguns would have been damaged or disabled by that amount of hard drops.

But the iPhone still works as well as it did when I bough it, despite the accidental abuse.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by spyderco monkey View Post
    Just another nod for Apple.

I've had my 6S since 2015, in a simple Magpul case. Being a clutz, I've dropped it over 50 times onto concrete or hard tile over the years, from an average height of 3-4'. Frankly I think a number of wristwatches, flashlights, lighters, and handguns would have been damaged or disabled by that amount of hard drops.

But the iPhone still works as well as it did when I bough it, despite the accidental abuse.
    I’m on my 3rd iPhone. I drowned my first one (2016 SE) after about a year of use and the dumb thing survived it, but the battery won’t hold a charge. Second 2016 SE is now riding with my son at college after several years in my pocket. I am running a 2020 SE. my daughter has a 7s that her grandmother gifted her with a couple of years ago after she upgraded.

We have a whole pile of dead non-iPhones that lasted anywhere from six months to a couple of years, and one sort-of dead iPhone that I could resurrect if I felt like paying for a new battery.

Yeah, they’re more expensive. But you won’t need a new one for a long time. Put it in a good case, tempered glass screen protector, and learn to live with it. It’s actually pretty smooth and easy to adapt.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    Thanks. No apple for me (it's just a personal quirk, I'm one of those people who hates apple irrationally). I will re-think cases and look at the flashing options. Much appreciated.
    If you have a rational desire to value privacy then overcome your irrational opposition to Apple since Android is a cesspool of privacy concerns. You could install a more privacy-centric OS but that’s a full time job to keep it up to date.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanch View Post
    If you have a rational desire to value privacy then overcome your irrational opposition to Apple since Android is a cesspool of privacy concerns. You could install a more privacy-centric OS but that’s a full time job to keep it up to date.
    No.

User Tag List