Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RFI: Rugged Smartphones

Site Supporter
    Thanks. It looks intriguing.

Site Supporter
    I've been *slightly* considering switching from my iPhone SE (2016 model -- basically an iPhone 5) to the Sonim XP8. I wish there was a truly rugged iPhone.

On Otterboxes, they're good stuff but I've still broken the aluminum frame of my SE while it was inside the Otterbox Defender from a drop to concrete. Phone still works but the display is wonky sometimes because the display is all that's holding the frame straight.

Site Supporter
    The responses to this thread have me rethinking my needs and what would work for me, which I really appreciate.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rdtompki View Post
    Unicorn Beetle all the way (on my S8). Saved my phone many, many times
    I just ordered one for my old S8, which is now my wife's phone after she dunked her Apple SE (the old style one) in her coffee recently. If it sucks, I'm writing you for a refund.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

As others have said, basically every new smartphone is waterproof to 10ft or so these days. With regards to ruggedness, the phone case industry is very advanced, with cases being smaller yet providing increased protection from drop damage.

This YouTube video shows how protective these cases can be, and also gives you a good list of cases to look at. Keep in mind all of these cases are available on the majority of the popular brands and models of phones, not just the Apple phone that was tested.

https://youtu.be/Hvlwas8N7xQ

Site Supporter
    Thanks, I'll watch that.

Yes, I've done some more reading based on the comments in this thread and it seems that privacy is really the limiting factor here. It looks like if I want to be really serious about privacy, the route (wait for it; not proud) to follow is to root the phone with one of the privacy-oriented ROMs. The best players in that arena seem to limit themselves to various google pixels. That's where I've gotten so far, but I'm still reading up as this is completely new territory to me. I'm glad I started this thread because it's really re-shaped my thinking and I'm learning a lot as I go.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I just ordered one for my old S8, which is now my wife's phone after she dunked her Apple SE (the old style one) in her coffee recently. If it sucks, I'm writing you for a refund.
    Fair enough. I haven't gotten an old time letter in at least 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    Thanks, I'll watch that.

Yes, I've done some more reading based on the comments in this thread and it seems that privacy is really the limiting factor here. It looks like if I want to be really serious about privacy, the route (wait for it; not proud) to follow is to root the phone with one of the privacy-oriented ROMs. The best players in that arena seem to limit themselves to various google pixels. That's where I've gotten so far, but I'm still reading up as this is completely new territory to me. I'm glad I started this thread because it's really re-shaped my thinking and I'm learning a lot as I go.
    First off I am not up to date with what the privacy focused ROMs currently offer. They may be excellent, but I see a weak point with the Apps. If you use Google Maps, you are tracked, if you use gmail you are tracked etc. I think the OS is just part of the question. I don't know your app usage or your privacy requirements, but worth keeping in mind.

There was a time when I was into rooting phones, running custom ROMs etc, but I got tired of updating and tweaking all the time. You need to balance privacy and security. Older OS's are subject to more security vulnerabilities so not updated frequently could subject you to worse "privacy" if you are running older ROM's.

Everyone has different needs, but look out for the balance of privacy vs security vs ease.

Site Supporter
    Thank you. I appreciate it. I am kind of sorting through all of this now since it really is completely new. I'll keep the security issues in mind as well.

I am all too new to smartphones. I only obtained my first one, in the last six months, due to a death. Before that, I still used a Nokia candy bar style phone, and was looking at flip phones, for the next (4g requirement) upgrade.
    I've seen what a LEO relative went through and used while working. Another techie relative, chooses for size and gizmo's and his choices verses battery life. Then several other members of the family, who just prefer Iphones.
    I have also observed what happens with the phones of those I work with, as well as customers, and where we have to place our phones for things such as charging, etc.
    Some of my wants, I know are unrealistic. My candy bar phone, is/was a prepaid, that cost me around $50 a year, for the amount of time I used it (no texting at all on that thing). I did a prepaid thing on the new phone, to see about usage and battery life, verses my old phone. Now that I have had some time to dive into it more, I will be transferring some phone numbers (old phone to VOIP/house stuff, new phone number as cell, since I text with it).
    I looked at several phones you mentioned, as well as the not really available here, Blackphone, phones with Sailfish OS, Purism Liberm phone and the Pinephone. Phone needs and the fact this is a work phone, weighed out more. I ended up with the Oukitel WP5 because of specs and toughness. I don't use much data (prefer a computer with a real keyboard, the most I have used has been 111mb a month), and have used the camera in a limited fashion (mostly testing but some work stuff, get done and delete). I just looked and put my phone on the charger, 57% left with last charge seven days ago. So battery life is actually better then the old phone, but much larger battery (not a small phone with 8000mah battery). People mistake it for being in a case (ordered a belt holster for it via Amazon), and was bought on an Amazon special for $120, verses regular price of $159. I tend to deny all stuff I can, not use other things (always preferred mapquest to google maps, duckduckgo, etc), not use it for shopping, no biometric login's, etc. Wireless stays on most of the time (work or home), and bluetooth, on occasion. It can hook to various networks, but I have a large sd chip in there for future use.

Texting is convenient for so much of the world, and so many suppliers would like you to order via thier app, otherwise, I was extremely happy with my old phone setup. (curmudgeon) This has been a cost effective solution, that caused two other people to go out and buy the same model phone. One did what he has done with his last three phones (lost it), while the other, is a person who I expect will be the one to find a way to break it. I have thrown mine past people, so it hit the ground and no damage yet.

User Tag List