Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Chill Factor of -13 in Dallas

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    What kind of dog? My healer, collie, mut mix loves this. She would stay out in this all day if she could, it’s the first time she’s experienced this kind of snow.
    She's a lovable mix mostly great pyrenees and rotty.

Looks like furnace has gone t.u. luckily we have seperate heat pump for upstairs. hopefully we keep power.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    We got a "Boil Water" notice from our City. The North side of FTW water treatment lost power and shipped out unprocessed water on Monday. Joy. We have bottled water but will pick up a few gallon jugs if not already sold out. Or, we can melt snow. Very glad I took a shower yesterday.
    Just got notified that the water is being cut off... immediately... No ETA for restart.
    I guess we can use the pool water for the toilets and save the tub water for boiling, because it's contaminated.

This year is already full of opportunities.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

The power generation issue is not about wind. Coal, Nuke and Gas plants all went TU. Likely line issues or issues related to the freeze affecting controls/sensors.
    https://arstechnica.com/science/2021...nder-the-cold/
    Here is another article very similar to that posted by RoyGBiv:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/mark...cid=entnewsntp

The primary trouble is not with the frozen wind farms apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    One water pipe froze up on me, and the power comes and goes. Are you having any isssues?

Took my wife to work today, roads are nasty but doable. On the way home from when I pick her up, I am hoping to pick up some Mexican food. Almost nothing is open, so the prospects of that actually happening seem to be hovering around zero.
    Just had Mexican for lunch with wife. Their business was booming as they were the only restaurant open on a main street with many other eateries.

We have one outside wall pipe, and, yes, that froze sometime last night. Roads in Dallas are very drivable. One lane is usually worn down to pavement on the busier streets. Those will freeze back over tonight of course. Still seeing inexperienced drivers trying to pull out from side streets in front of others, wheels spinning, and then stopping in the median looking at traffic coming from both directions hoping they won't get hit. Icy streets aren't going to make more courteous or patient drivers of the "busy" Dallas soccer mom types - plenty of those here.
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

And, I suppose we could be a little hardier. Thinking back to the first settlers in the Texas Panhandle living in a dugout and burning buffalo chips for fuel.

However, I do feel a bit like Bob Cratchit trying to warm my fingers over a candle so that I can at least try to work remotely when I can connect to the office server.
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

Investigations are starting.....

https://www.npr.org/2021/02/16/96835...ate-power-grid

With Texans facing their second day of rotating intentional outages, Gov. Greg Abbott declared reform of the group that manages the state's power grid to be an emergency item for the legislature to take on during its current session. An investigation is needed to prevent more such outages, Abbott said.

"The Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) has been anything but reliable over the past 48 hours," Abbott said. "Far too many Texans are without power and heat for their homes as our state faces freezing temperatures and severe winter weather. This is unacceptable."

The governor said he wants to "get a full picture of what caused this problem and find long-term solutions."

A couple of family members, who shall not be publicly named, had given me some amount of grief, repeatedly, over time, for buying and keeping serious cold-weather sleeping bags, a couple of serious woobies, and my Patagonia parka. “If you don’t wear it or use it in a year, sell it or donate it to a local charity resale shop,” they said. They said I am a hoarder. Well, the They-Saids have now gone amazingly silent.

The nearby ”lifeboat” hotel room lost power, early during this weather/power crisis, but got it back, this morning at 0218, shortly before we lost power at home, this morning at 0402. Then, the hotel lost water pressure, due to a burst pipe. My wife, however, had preeemptively kept the hotel bath tub filled, so, there is water for flushing the toilet.

We have a burst pipe at home, which is dribbling into a non-vital area, and I am about to rig ip a light, and tackle that, with parts already on-hand. I think I have a reasonable chance of resolving this, without having to wait for morning light.

It has not yet gotten bad enough to fire up a Honda gasoline generator. We gave battery packs that have sufficed, thus far. I will plug the fridge into one of the big battery packs, if we do not get power restored by the morning. (It will be an experiment.)

The neighbors have a new house, with a hard-wired generator, that kicks-on automatically. I am getting really tired of the noise.

This was not a Hurricane Ike, or a Hurricane Harvey. Life is easy, in February 2021. Life is good.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Investigations are starting.....

https://www.npr.org/2021/02/16/96835...ate-power-grid

With Texans facing their second day of rotating intentional outages, Gov. Greg Abbott declared reform of the group that manages the state's power grid to be an emergency item for the legislature to take on during its current session. An investigation is needed to prevent more such outages, Abbott said.

"The Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) has been anything but reliable over the past 48 hours," Abbott said. "Far too many Texans are without power and heat for their homes as our state faces freezing temperatures and severe winter weather. This is unacceptable."

The governor said he wants to "get a full picture of what caused this problem and find long-term solutions."
    Wind generation loss is a small part at present. The loss of natural gas production and some preventable gas generation loss is unfathomable. Even more so, there is actually more energy than demand. The entire Texas market has melted down at $7500 a megawatt hour http://www.ercot.com/content/cdr/contours/rtmLmpHg.html

Name:  833DA73E-3995-4EF7-8DD9-6EFB5FF2FAC2.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  43.9 KB

Fortunately, we've not lost power yet. Lots of reports from the area (via Nextdoor) about outages that started around 0230 Monday, some rolling, some totally out with inside temps reaching the low 40's now. We invited several friends to stay with us if they get too cold waiting it out. Not sure if they're worried about covid or about not being home when a pipe freezes but, they know they have an option as long as our power holds out.

Going out to Walmart (currently open) for some miscellaneous items. Roads were not bad yesterday PM. We'll see how things go today.

We got a "Boil Water" notice from our City. The North side of FTW water treatment lost power and shipped out unprocessed water on Monday. Joy. We have bottled water but will pick up a few gallon jugs if not already sold out. Or, we can melt snow. Very glad I took a shower yesterday.

Mexican food isn't so great for my low carb diet. We did try the new Mission yellow corn tortillas this week. 4 tortillas, 90 calories. Pretty decent. Stuffed them with pulled pork and roasted Anaheim peppers. Mmmm.
    Corn tortillas and carnitas is a standby for me. I keep a case of canned green chiles on tap because I eat those everyday for breakfast in an omelet. My wife makes carnitas and we keep those frozen for tacos. If nothing else I always have some pinto beans with a little pork that I can refry for a taco using corn tortillas. Add some lettuce or cilantro and you have dinner. Skip the cheese.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

A couple years ago I was on a weather site and checked the top of MT Borah near my cabin...

I noticed the elevation is in meters. The peak is 12,600 and change.

Thats colder than any of the regular "official" recording stations. It should be noted that the county the cabin is in is often the coldest in the lower 48 states.

There are times when even Henry says its too cold to use the outhouse!

Henry say's "Nah I am good, I will stay by the fire."

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    Here is another article very similar to that posted by RoyGBiv:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/mark...cid=entnewsntp

The primary trouble is not with the frozen wind farms apparently.

Just had Mexican for lunch with wife. Their business was booming as they were the only restaurant open on a main street with many other eateries.

We have one outside wall pipe, and, yes, that froze sometime last night. Roads in Dallas are very drivable. One lane is usually worn down to pavement on the busier streets. Those will freeze back over tonight of course. Still seeing inexperienced drivers trying to pull out from side streets in front of others, wheels spinning, and then stopping in the median looking at traffic coming from both directions hoping they won't get hit. Icy streets aren't going to make more courteous or patient drivers of the "busy" Dallas soccer mom types - plenty of those here.

The roads are not terrible, not great but doable. It depends on how the weather goes tonight to see how bad travel will be tomorrow. It’s snowed a bit earlier, supposedly more coming. Hope they are wrong!

User Tag List