Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Chill Factor of -13 in Dallas

Chill Factor of -13 in Dallas

How cold is it?

It’s so cold when we milked the cows we got ice cream.
    It hasn’t been this cold since eighteen-hundred-and-froze-to-death.
    It’s cold as Blue Flujin, where sailors say fire freezes (from a Herman Melville book).
    It's colder than a brass toilet seat on the shady side of an iceberg.
    It’s so cold I saw a politician with his hands in his own pockets.
    It’s so cold we got dogs stuck to fire hydrants all over town.
    Baby, it’s cold outside (Academy award winning song from “Neptune’s Daughter”).
    It’s a two-dog night (you’ll need to sleep with both dogs on the bed for warmth).
    It's colder than a room full of ex-wives.
    It is so cold even property taxes are frozen.
    It’s so cold when I turned on the shower I got hail.
    It’s so cold my car won't run and my nose won't stop.
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

Just saying, but quoting cold temperatures using windchill is like reporting two shot groups at 100 yards with your rifle!
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

That's pretty cold for you guys. The humidity must make it brutal.

This pic was taken in my car up near Logan, UT when I had to go see a customer there in January 2017.

Name:  20170106_095714_resize_51.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  46.2 KB

It was a bright sunny day when I walked across their parking lot but my face had had enough when I arrived at the front door.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Just saying, but quoting cold temperatures using windchill is like reporting two shot groups at 100 yards with your rifle!
    Yeah. Wimps.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Says the man from Alaska. It's 7 degrees here, and many Dallas folk wear parkas when it gets below 60. I'm from the Texas Panhandle originally, and we know what cold is on the plains. Dallas is a different animal. When snow or ice is even reported here they start thinking of closing schools.

It's cold enough to think about reading "To Build a Fire" again.
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

Site Supporter
    I'm told that we haven't seen temps this low here in more than 20 years. Single digits (before the wind chill) this morning. The Texas grid is implementing rolling blackouts and the gas company is warning about low system pressure and asking folks to turn down the heat and turn off gas fireplaces.

The big issue for us is poorly insulated older houses with water lines through exterior walls. Hearing stories of water meters freezing because the in ground boxes do not have any insulation other than whatever soil has accumulated inside and the 2 inch layer of snow on top.

Thinking back to the HAM radio thread, our primary repeater is down (not sure why yet) and I'm unable to transmit through the secondary repeaters for some reason. Rx is fine, but, I guess I need to go out and shake off the ice from my antenna. Eventually.

Forecast shows us in the 60's by next Monday. It's currently 5'F.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    That's pretty cold for you guys. The humidity must make it brutal.

This pic was taken in my car up near Logan, UT when I had to go see a customer there in January 2017.

Name:  20170106_095714_resize_51.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  46.2 KB

It was a bright sunny day when I walked across their parking lot but my face had had enough when I arrived at the front door.
    I have a friend who lives in Logan. It was two degrees warmer there this morning than where I live in south Louisiana.

Site Supporter
    Colder than the tits on a Siberian bitch wolf in January.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

It is in the mid-teens, actual Fahrenheit, in the Houston, Texas area. I wore my Patagonia parka for only the second time, this morning, when I stepped outside. I may have had this parka since the Nineties. We were lucky, in that the predicted historic ice storm did not substantially materialize, so, we did not lose power due to downed power lines. We may yet get an opportunity to experience a rolling blackout, as it seems that the huge turbines, at wind farms, are not very freeze-proof, and there are not enough of the natural-gas units on-line to meet demand. Thus far, we have been lucky, though we will freeze harder tonight, and get another round with icy-stormy in a couple of days.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Air temp and wind speed, valid. Don't forget altitude, humidity, acclimation.

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    It's 7 degrees here, and many Dallas folk wear parkas when it gets below 60. I'm from the Texas Panhandle originally, and we know what cold is on the plains. Dallas is a different animal. When snow or ice is even reported here they start thinking of closing schools.
    Several funny stories about traveling south and having hosts marvel at how comfortable and little northerners wore at 40-60 degrees. Like it was wizardry.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

User Tag List